Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha Tenere 700 Survey

wookee

I just filled this in, I gave a 65% satisfaction rating, not because I’m disappointed with the bike, but because I think Yamaha could’ve made it better. These are what I think they could’ve done better:

Slightly larger fuel tank, made of plastic, the same style and shape of the T7 concept bike. 

all body and fairing plastic made from the off-road type plastic, like the KTM 790, so its more robust and less likely to crack. 

Better developed suspension, with full adjustability. (i.e spring rates more suitable for markets it sold in and preload adjustment for front forks).

tubeless wheels

cruise control

Nothing that Yamaha can’t do for the next version of the T7. I would’ve been prepared to have paid more for the bike, if it had come with the above, as I was considering the KTM 790 Adventure. 

Overall, bike is great, engine plenty of power and very good economy for the long trips. Ergonomics are a very personal thing, but a comfort seat as an option would’ve been nice, will have to wait for CC to deliver the one piece rally style seat, hopefully early this year. Suspension again is a very personal thing, standard is ok, but for me it needs more adjustment, due to my western euro size and weight. 

Hopefully Yamaha will get some good feedback from this survey and improve the next iteration of the T7. 

Edited by FredBasset
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, POLISHADAM82 said:

Maybe you should buy a KTM then hahaha

No, I was going to get the KTM, but I was concerned with their reliability, bought Yamaha for reliability. Of course, what Yamaha could do, is have two versions, base model as bike currently is and a higher spec bike. 👍

• Like 7

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, FredBasset said:

No, I was going to get the KTM, but I was concerned with their reliability, bought Yamaha for reliability. Of course, what Yamaha could do, is have two versions, base model as bike currently is and a higher spec bike. 👍

Yeah thats the right take. I bought in because of the price point, and add ons like cruise control and upgraded suspension would have delayed my farkle fest quite a bit. I feel they missed an opportunity when they released the ‘Rally’ version. 

• Like 4

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• Moderators

My .02 worth under comments

Off road type plastic, lose weight, replaceable sub-frame and exhaust mount. Re-route exhaust above swingarm to prevent damage after tip over.

• Like 6

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 1/12/2021 at 2:54 PM, POLISHADAM82 said:

Maybe you should buy a KTM then hahaha

No, can I have a Norden 901 with a Yamaha badge and reliability please 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I said to them

colour screen

cruise control

re route exhaust 

higher rate springs

compression adj on front

remove-able sub frame

tubeless 

• Like 2

Being a "motorcycle backpacker" I gave it a 95% rating! It's short comings - to  me - are not worth worrying about.  For you stump jumpers - I guess - you will  have different opinions!

So what is the 5% I don't like? 1) I really don't like the feel of the rear brake, which I will work on when the snow clears. 2) I need to lower my foot pegs by and inch of two for long days were my knees begin to creak after 5-6 hours.  3) On pavement or dirt, that is a little rough, my old eyes can't make out details on the screen from vibrations (I bought the Camel Adv anti-bobble-head which I will install in the Spring). Well that's it for the serious issues! 🤣

• Like 4

I gave it a 95%

praises:

value and price

simplicity

reliability

power and handling

Good looking design 

Shortcomings:

fuel capacity 

rear brake feel

transmission shifting feel

Needs tubeless

For the price, it’s a great package overall.  Most of the improvement wishes I read about will only drive up the price.  I would be ok with Yamaha adding a new upgraded adventure/rally edition with a larger suspension (48mm forks and better rear shock) and maybe some electronic upgrades (rider modes and color screen) but there is a lot to be said for simplicity and a $10k price point.

After selling the 1190R, I’m just glad I didn’t wait for the next gen KLR..what a let down!  No regrets on the T7 here.

Edited by duggerc
  • Like 1