Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

1st service

dirt5track

I got my first service done at the dealer today in California, they were backed up for a week so I did the oil change. The dealer charged $325.00 for the first service (without doing the oil change) does that sound about right to you guys?

No......my first cost me $20.00 for oil/filter and a general check over.  My 4000 miler cost the same.👍

@dirt5track

That's bad. I did my own oil change and then took it to the dealer to go through the rest of the required 1st. service they charged me $45

I found $325.00 very expensive...

At Spain they charged me 142€ for 1.000km inspection (600 miles).

They basically replaced the oil and its filter. I don't think they inspected any other points...

But if I want to keep the guarantee for the first two years, I have to pass the inspections at the official dealer. Later I will do it by myself.

Wow 325 for a visual inspection as after the oil has been done thats all thats left and any adjustments 

Seems very expensive. I also did my own oil change and filter because I didn't want the dealer screwing up my skid plate or overtightening the oil drain plug according to the ridiculous torque value spec'd in the service manual. The inspection and throttle body sync was ~$100 US in Arizona. I noted that they also lubed and adjusted the chain, checked the air cleaner (they told me they found a moth) and washed the bike, which will likely be the last time the bike will be that clean!

It's hard to say how thorough the mechanic was. For example, I noticed that they didn't adjust my throttle freeplay even though I've adjusted it as tight as possible without affecting the idle speed.

• Like 1

Yes I feel like it was excessive at $325 so its the last time they will see me. However the did adjust/sync the throttle bodies and I have to say it made a huge difference in off throttle roll on. Almost all of the on/off stutter is gone.  

• Like 1

Yep.  Lots of money.  So I did a little investigation and found that it is quite a bit of work to do this job.  Not to mention the special tools required to do the job.  It appears one needs an interface kit and some hardware to accomplish the task of syncing the fuel injected carbs.  It's probably a 3 hour job.  I'm going to research this more.  I need to to this myself.

You need to acquire one of these...   

healtech-electronics-throttle-body-esync

Healtech Electronics Throttle Body eSync Tool at Bayside Performance. Canada's number 1 online source for motorcycle parts and accessories.

And one of these... 

motion-pro-carburetor-90-degree-1-4-hex-

Motion Pro Carburetor 90 Degree 1/4" Hex Driver With Bits Features Precision made of high grade aluminum and stainless steel Designed for hard to reach pilot air screws Gear driven 1/4 hex, 17.5 long Includes five hex drive bits - Straight Slot,

Cost will be around 550 Canadian dollars.  So if you paid 325.00 to get that done, you could just spend your money on tools and become the envy of all your friends.  

Edited by Landshark
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 9:35 PM, dirt5track said:

I got my first service done at the dealer today in California, they were backed up for a week so I did the oil change. The dealer charged $325.00 for the first service (without doing the oil change) does that sound about right to you guys?

Lol, depends if you're buyin.... or sellin.

You got ass-raped.

• Moderators

@dirt5track If you're so inclined you can contribute to this dealer review thread.  

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS