Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

KTM 390 Adventure

DT675

I have a 2017 Honda CRF250L and I've been obsessing about replacing it with a KTM 390 Adventure. The CRF250L has an Ohlins shock and full RaceTech valving and sprung forks, FMF exhaust with fuel programmer etc all intended for single track riding. But, after i built the bike for ST (which it does very well!)  i realized I’m just not into that much anymore. I’m not interested in just selling it and not replacing it. But this bike, i don't think really interests me anymore. Tiny fuel tank, cramped cockpit, still sloooow, pretty much feel like i can’t even take it on the highway at all.  But it has a great suspension. I still really love riding off-road but find myself not really doing the technical stuff much anymore since i ride by myself most of the time, and think the 390 might compliment my T7 if i set it up more for off-road and the T7 more on-road.

Has anyone had/ have or ridden the 390A?  I  wonder if it will it feel very heavy and non-compliant of-road compared to my CRF?  While my CRF has a great suspension I’m just not really riding it to the places that it will shine. I’m used to (and like) basically “No electronics”. Will the KTM’s electronics drive me nuts?  At 42 HP (or whatever the reviewers seem to suggest the HP is between 37-44), how will this feel compared to the Honda (@ roughly 24 HP/ 320 LBS wet)? And lastly, I have the taste in my mouth that KTM’s are generally unreliable. I would have no trouble venturing out into no phone signal zones with the Yamaha/ Honda by myself, how about the KTM? 

Any other thoughts are welcome, thanks! 

Edited by DT675

I cant help you much with this, but I've been binge watching Nathan Millward's YouTube channel while we're in lockdown and he's got some pretty interesting content that might help you:

Here's a straight up review of the 390:

KTM 390 ADVENTURE UK Trails - YouTube

And here's a side-by-side comparison between the 4 bikes he's got which includes the 390 and the CRF which might help put things into perspective for you:

Four Bike update (KTM 390 Adv, RE Himalayan, BMW 310 GS, Honda CRF250 Rally) - YouTube

He's an honest, no BS kind of guy (and he's done a few miles!) so his reviews are about as honest as you'll get.

Great! I checked them both out.  Thanks. I've seem so many YouTube videos on this bike that patterns start to show themselves. So i *think* I've got a decent handle on what the “bads” are on this bike.  My issue is when it comes to on road vs off road capabilities their seem to be 2 separate camps. Those who say its an adventure styled road bike, and those who are taking it of road on more difficult terrain that i think I’d ever need to do with it. I have definitely seen some folks take it on some gnarly terrain. It seems like some review a bike favorably when they want it to be a good bike and some poorly just because its not a dirt bike.  

Ill keep marching on with my research and definitely need to throw a leg over one come spring. I did look into the KTM 690 Enduro but think it has bad long distance road manners and is too much dirtbike like. 

I sold my 390A and replaced it with the T7, overall the 390 was a lot of fun on and off road. In my opinion the main limiting factor for off road is ground clearance. It will run circles around a 250L (had one also)  as it is only about 20# heavier with almost twice the power. The ergonomics just didn't work for me with my back and shoulder injuries. The 390 feels like its 1000# lighter than the T7 when rolling into the garage, the balance was quite good.  If you have long legs and raise it up it could be a real possibility, fyi the stock seat feels like a 2x10 piece of lumber. Common issues are the tft display going out (mine died at 3 miles) and sustained low (under 3k) rpms will give low oil pressure wirings. I did the 14t countershaft sprocket and it made a good bit of change on low end power. 

I ALSO have an underpowered red hamster -  2020 Honda CRF250L  with NO zoomy suspension (yet)
did full exhaust system, EJK, blah blah blah.  its still an underpowered 250.   there is nothing short of cramming a 250-F motor into the frame, that will make it more powerful.  However, it is the right bike for what it is.  capable dual sport trail bike.

I sold my KTM350 EXC to make room for the honda -  so I slightly went the other way.  My issue was simple.  I'm 56, I have some seriously stupid medical history on my legs from street crash,  and I NEED to be putt putting on the single tracks,   not jumping doubles and dragging pegs every chance I can

I SOLD the KTM, to keep myself off the MX track (aw heck, what could 2 laps do? - turning into a full session, and a few days of sore + recovery) 

SO!  I know nothing about the 390A - but I can tell you the 350 will do a 2-day, 300 mile dualsport trip and have fun.  Its powerful enough for the road, yet small enough that you are able to run single track or MX.   I did NOT have all the fancy electronics - same reason as the T7 ---- I want to ride,  not adjust settings and talk about possible rides.

I'm curious how much of the same riding you could do on the 390 as the T7.   but !  I understand the need for something a bit smaller.   You mention setting the 390 up for off road and the T7 for on road.   why not sell the honda, and spend the money on the T7.  make it capable on both.

I'd ride the 390,  think about it,  then decide... is it truly the right addition? or could the T7 do what it does

then when you get rid of the honda,  make me a deal on that suspension  🙂

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 12:15 AM, dirt5track said:

I sold my 390A and replaced it with the T7, overall the 390 was a lot of fun on and off road. In my opinion the main limiting factor for off road is ground clearance. It will run circles around a 250L (had one also)  as it is only about 20# heavier with almost twice the power. The ergonomics just didn't work for me with my back and shoulder injuries. The 390 feels like its 1000# lighter than the T7 when rolling into the garage, the balance was quite good.  If you have long legs and raise it up it could be a real possibility, fyi the stock seat feels like a 2x10 piece of lumber. Common issues are the tft display going out (mine died at 3 miles) and sustained low (under 3k) rpms will give low oil pressure wirings. I did the 14t countershaft sprocket and it made a good bit of change on low end power. 

This is exactly what i wanted to hear, thanks!  Well except for the issues part. Were all those issues that you experienced yourself and were they addressed under warranty? I have read about the ergonomics on this bike being a possible issue. I definitely need to throw a leg around one before selling the Honda.  

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 11:12 AM, cstatman said:

I ALSO have an underpowered red hamster -  2020 Honda CRF250L  with NO zoomy suspension (yet)
did full exhaust system, EJK, blah blah blah.  its still an underpowered 250.  

Yes, their really just isn’t much to be done about the power. But the suspension can be improved greatly!

I'm curious how much of the same riding you could do on the 390 as the T7.   but !  I understand the need for something a bit smaller.   You mention setting the 390 up for off road and the T7 for on road.   why not sell the honda, and spend the money on the T7.  make it capable on both.

I am too!  I just like the idea of having a lighter ADV bike for more long day trips with just a backpack and set up more for off-road and the T7 for long overnight trips.  I thought long and hard about selling the Honda to outfit the T7 and really probably could. I guess I’m just not interested in loosing a bike right now. It might take me awhile but i “can” outfit the T7 AND keep an additional bike at the same time. It might also take awhile to outfit both of them the way i want but thats kinda the fun of it too. Thats what my long winters are for...

then when you get rid of the honda,  make me a deal on that suspension  🙂   Ha! LOl.  If I only still had the original parts...

Edited by DT675
  • Like 1

@cstatman, as far as your Honda goes, here is a quote on another forum of the best advice i could give someone on that bike (that was looking to spend money on weight reductions)-

“ I have all the common mods on my crf250l, exhaust, battery, handlebars, tiny indicators, tail tidy, lighter sprockets, ejk tuner etc, etc. And, most importantly ohlins shock and race tech forks. I did all this to make it a good reliable single track dualsport bike and it is BUT, I have soooo much money into it its ridiculous. If I had a do- over and a clean slate bike, I would just get the suspension done and slap a larger gas tank on it and call it a day. It would be a great little adv bike that can tackle single track. The rest is just smoke and mirrors imo.”

i found I can really reduce weight between the seat and handlebars - by eating less, walking more... etc...

I knew, KNEW! buying it,  underpowered hamster.  and thats kinda what I wanted.

However, I wanted to tart it up a little bit,  so when I pass all them lads on the singletrack?  with their fancy polished frames, and lots of sponsor stickers?  they could at least look and think "well - that old man did a bunch of work to it,  so it least its not a stock underpoweered hamster that went by"

🙂

Actually i think their is something very cool about out-riding the fancy bikes on a bike 1/3rd the cost and double the weight... Money and stickers cant make them faster. 

• Like 2

On 1/21/2021 at 8:12 PM, DT675 said:

This is exactly what i wanted to hear, thanks!  Well except for the issues part. Were all those issues that you experienced yourself and were they addressed under warranty? I have read about the ergonomics on this bike being a possible issue. I definitely need to throw a leg around one before selling the Honda.  

yes all repairs were handled under warrant with no issues, make sure you have a good dealer!

That's great to hear and I would have a good dealer. However they are about 100 miles away. But, I have the Tenere. For when the KTM breaks down lol. That's why I fear it less now.