Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mosko's BC35's on Adventure spec rack

jdk2man

Finally got my backcountry 35s on Adventure Spec side racks.

Saved 6 inches on the width over conventional racks.

May not be the sturdiest, but if the do bend, I should be able to pull them back. 

Plan is to try and install a cross bar from the corner of the rack to the Fram somewhere in the back under the seat. 

And I didn't have to drill any holes in the rack.

20210119_170159.jpg

20210120_094504.jpg

20210120_094355.jpg

• Like 3

Nicely done @jdk2man, I like how you were able to keep the bags closer to the bike. Do you have any concerns about heat coming off the exhaust? 

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, didier said:

@jdk2man What is the rear rack you are using?

It is in the title! Adventure Spec Rear Rack.

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

2 minutes ago, tenerecanada said:

It is in the title! Adventure Spec Rear Rack.

You are speaking about side racks ... the rear is Adventure Spec too?

4 minutes ago, didier said:

You are speaking about side racks ... the rear is Adventure Spec too?

Yes, the rear rack is AS also. I'm not a huge fan of it as it is really narrow if someone is riding back there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HucknChuck said:

Nicely done @jdk2man, I like how you were able to keep the bags closer to the bike. Do you have any concerns about heat coming off the exhaust? 

I don't.  But I also haven't ridden it yet.  I figure I won't be sitting idle for extended periods of time, so the air should be passing through. Plus it's plywood covered in bed liner spray. 

I guess we'll see if I end up looking like Ghostrider one of these days. 

• Haha 1

Actually it's not fire i would worry about, its water. MDF is notorious for swelling when wet, and that looks like what you used. (I could be wrong it's hard to tell)

You might if you like the way that works, buy a sheet of HDPE or whatever that plastic is called and cut it out of that. It's the same material that cutting boards are made from. Then it would be waterproof and pretty tough. I think if you went down or dropped the bike hard and caught that MDF, it would pull your fasteners through the wood. 

With regards to the heat,. the other day I had my bike idling for 10 minutes and the stock pipe was barely warm to the touch. So I would guess it will be ok. Mosko sends a heat shield with their gear in case it is needed though. 

But, I think it's a fantastic idea, nice job. Very clever, I wish I had thought of that. With a little work its something i could see a vendor selling for low profile racks. 

Mike

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

Actually it's not fire i would worry about, its water. MDF is notorious for swelling when wet, and that looks like what you used. (I could be wrong it's hard to tell)

You might if you like the way that works, buy a sheet of HDPE or whatever that plastic is called and cut it out of that. It's the same material that cutting boards are made from. Then it would be waterproof and pretty tough. I think if you went down or dropped the bike hard and caught that MDF, it would pull your fasteners through the wood. 

With regards to the heat,. the other day I had my bike idling for 10 minutes and the stock pipe was barely warm to the touch. So I would guess it will be ok. Mosko sends a heat shield with their gear in case it is needed though. 

But, I think it's a fantastic idea, nice job. Very clever, I wish I had thought of that. With a little work its something i could see a vendor selling for low profile racks. 

Mike

It's actually plywood. The mdf one you see was my first template. I assume water will bother the plywood too which is why I coated in bedliner spray.

• Like 1

Well done! I would have used HDPE myself, you could always swap it out at a later stage. After you have trialled it on some trips. You may just want to change it a bit. 🤔

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2021 at 10:04 AM, jdk2man said:

Finally got my backcountry 35s on Adventure Spec side racks.

Saved 6 inches on the width over conventional racks.

May not be the sturdiest, but if the do bend, I should be able to pull them back. 

Plan is to try and install a cross bar from the corner of the rack to the Fram somewhere in the back under the seat. 

And I didn't have to drill any holes in the rack.

20210119_170159.jpg

20210120_094504.jpg

20210120_094355.jpg for 

Hello...Just got my T7 yesterday up here in Fort Collins. I have the Mosko luggage as well and was looking for a rack system. Are you happy with it still? Any other brands you would have considered?  Thanks Dan

Nice narrow looking set up for larger soft bags! 
  Guessing the weight of plywood + Mosko wedge + bag + load, without any kind of lower support between  across the back may = some flapping/hinge fatigue for the aluminum mounting tabs of the AS  racks once bouncing off road. 
   Could be wrong but that definitely looks like a potential weak point with the leverage this set up may introduce.

14 hours ago, DanT700 said:

Hello...Just got my T7 yesterday up here in Fort Collins. I have the Mosko luggage as well and was looking for a rack system. Are you happy with it still? Any other brands you would have considered?  Thanks Dan

I was looking at the Rally Raid soft luggage racks, they may be less flexible. But I got a deal on these from someone local. I like them but due to weather here in Colorado, I haven't got a chance to load them up and take a trip to see how they handle.

13 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Nice narrow looking set up for larger soft bags! 
  Guessing the weight of plywood + Mosko wedge + bag + load, without any kind of lower support between  across the back may = some flapping/hinge fatigue for the aluminum mounting tabs of the AS  racks once bouncing off road. 
   Could be wrong but that definitely looks like a potential weak point with the leverage this set up may introduce.

I agree. I am sure they will flex, especially if loaded and on a bumpy trail. I'd like to put some type of support between the two sides, maybe at an angle to the center under the seat. 

The wood doesn't weigh much. nor the wedge. but the bags could fill up pretty quick. If I didn't have the bags already and Mosko wouldn't have really jacked up their prices, I would probably get their largest Rackless system. But it is way to $$$$.

I was able to get their first set of bags ever, plus their large duffel, and two extra pouches for the BC's for under $500. 

not anymore. 

9 hours ago, jdk2man said:

I was able to get their first set of bags ever, plus their large duffel, and two extra pouches for the BC's for under $500. 

not anymore. 

Wow!  steal relative to now alright. Inflation has skyrocketed on so many things in the covid climate. The cost of materials likely has much to do with their current pricing. Working in the building trades we’re seeing lumber prices at all new levels of absurdity.  Nice job working with what you already have.

6 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Wow!  steal relative to now alright. Inflation has skyrocketed on so many things in the covid climate. The cost of materials likely has much to do with their current pricing. Working in the building trades we’re seeing lumber prices at all new levels of absurdity.  Nice job working with what you already have.

I don't think it's covid. They were pretty pricy before Covid hit. From what I remember, though its been years ago, that they weren't happy with price of Wolfman plus wanted to do their own thing. Seems like they wanted a reasonable price option too. Which they were at the beginning.

I think with 1, the actual cost of getting things running, plus 2, they know people will pay for it, that they really sky rocketed their prices. But pretty much everything motorcycle related gets $$$$

Im just happy they have lasted me all these years. still in great shape. A bit faded. But still do their job.

@jdk2manno doubt it’s quality gear & built to last. Might even say over engineered. Only have their nomad tank bag & quite like it, but stopped there as other (mildly less expensive) kits had more appeal.

Moto is much like marine or organic labels in being license to inflate, whether justified or not. Usually the ‘get what you pay for’ cliche holds some truth, but agreed, some price tags can border on extortionate.

• 2 weeks later...

if anyone is following this, I decided not use my Mosko's on the T7.

While I love my BC35's, they just don't fit right and weigh to0 much.

I ended up going with a Kriega setup.

The nice thing about the Kriega's is that it's really modular.

I have a US-5 on each engine guard. 

I also have 2 OS-18's I can use on the AS rack. or I can put on the US-30's. And mount Us-10s on those if I need more.

Or I can mount whatever on the tail. Depending on the trip I can customize pretty much anything up to 126L of space.

And weight wise, the US-30 weighs empty at 2lb, 6.4oz.  The BC35 with wedge comes in at 8lb, 14oz.  Thats 6.5 lbs each, cutting 13lbs sounds good to me.

And that's not including the extra weight for the adapter or the mounting hardware for the BC's I had to make to mount them to the AS rack.

Plus when I am not using any bags, I dont have this huge wedge attached to the bike.

I will miss the easy on and off, though it's not that difficult to remove the Kriega's. but twist the lock and lift is pretty easy. And the top loading of the BC's is nice too.

But all in all, I think the Kriega's look nicer on the bike, weigh less, and are a lot more flexible. 

We'll have to see how well they hold up to abuse and the weather.

And btw, I am not bashing Mosko at all. I love their bags. I have the very first shipment of BC's they made. And if I went back to an S10, I'd put them on in a heartbeat. 

And I also have their tank bag which absolutely rocks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jdk2man said:

if anyone is following this, I decided not use my Mosko's on the T7.

While I love my BC35's, they just don't fit right and weigh to0 much.

I ended up going with a Kriega setup.

The nice thing about the Kriega's is that it's really modular.

I have a US-5 on each engine guard. 

I also have 2 OS-18's I can use on the AS rack. or I can put on the US-30's. And mount Us-10s on those if I need more.

Or I can mount whatever on the tail. Depending on the trip I can customize pretty much anything up to 126L of space.

And weight wise, the US-30 weighs empty at 2lb, 6.4oz.  The BC35 with wedge comes in at 8lb, 14oz.  Thats 6.5 lbs each, cutting 13lbs sounds good to me.

And that's not including the extra weight for the adapter or the mounting hardware for the BC's I had to make to mount them to the AS rack.

Plus when I am not using any bags, I dont have this huge wedge attached to the bike.

I will miss the easy on and off, though it's not that difficult to remove the Kriega's. but twist the lock and lift is pretty easy. And the top loading of the BC's is nice too.

But all in all, I think the Kriega's look nicer on the bike, weigh less, and are a lot more flexible. 

We'll have to see how well they hold up to abuse and the weather.

And btw, I am not bashing Mosko at all. I love their bags. I have the very first shipment of BC's they made. And if I went back to an S10, I'd put them on in a heartbeat. 

And I also have their tank bag which absolutely rocks.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it helps those of us still working through our setup options.  I've really been eyeing the Kriega stuff, hate the price tag but it just looks so functional and flexible.  I've had a hard time finding the OS-18's in stock anywhere.  Don't think I would want anything smaller for the saddlebag part of a setup.  

Just now, zaskar said:

you can order from PerformanceCycle.com they have them in stock.

• Like 1