Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear end chatter...

2-Wheel Wnderer

Anyone else noticing the obscene amount of chatter coming from T7 rear end? It almost sounds like your teeth after taking a dip in an ice cold bath. I've played with dampening all across the spectrum. May have to break down and upgrade shock to a high and low speed compression adjustable unit. If anyone has advice on a great set up let's hear their 2 cents.

Are you talking about low speed high torque chatter? Rather than high/ medium speed consistent ?

Chain has been adjust to within tolerance.  Occurs primarily on washboards in the road or hard trail riding over inconsistent surfaces. 

• Like 1

Check all the fasteners you can see and feel.  You'd be surprised how many things get loose and rattle.  I tend to check after each ride at least visually.  Start with that and also push and pull on various add on items to see if they are nice and snug.  Tighten any loose stuff if you find any.  Sometimes a buddy riding beside you may spot something as well.

• Like 2

Thing is, I ride with a gentleman who is also on a Tenere. I hear it on his bike as well when riding in close proximity on choppy terrain. I'll definitely be busting out the torque wrench and running through things! I actually had my steering stem nut come loose a couple of rides ago while out getting after it. 

• Like 2

Do you feel it or hear it ? If your hearing it then its just the chain slapping the rub block on the swingarm.

• Like 2

On my old bike I could hear the rear brake brace rattling where it was pinned to the swingarm.  On my Tenere It sounds like the chain hitting the guard when hitting big whoops.

• Like 1

Do you have a lower chain guide. This chatters until bed in and of course if chain tension is wrong it will continue to chatter if u have one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

I noticed this as well whenever I'm bouncing around offroad. It as if the bikes rear end is extra loud when you take the weight off it, clanging loudly against itself when going through whoops etc. Can't put my finger on it, but @Camel ADV put it best naming a thread here "Slamming and Banging Offroad". I dual sport this bike pretty hard and it is hilarious how much noise it makes while on the trail.

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

27 minutes ago, tenerecanada said:

I noticed this as well whenever I'm bouncing around offroad. It as if the bikes rear end is extra loud when you take the weight off it, clanging loudly against itself when going through whoops etc. Can't put my finger on it, but @Camel ADV put it best naming a thread here "Slamming and Banging Offroad". I dual sport this bike pretty hard and it is hilarious how much noise it makes while on the trail.

Said this perfectly, "slamming and banging." Maybe I was a little to subtle in the sounds my bike makes lol. I ride this maybe a little harder than its intended purpose but hey, where's the fun in keeping in on the road? I'm assuming you have the stock suspension set up as well?

• Like 2

Its chain slap on the top chain runner. Happens all the time on my WR450 (and son's WR250 2-str) in the bush at low engine RPM. The power pulses set it off at low RPM on that bike. Due to the 'loose' chain (due to suspension geometry) on the T7, this will happen in whoops/deep chatter bumps/etc as the inertia of the chain doesn't necessarily follow the movement of the swingarm with the same timing. Chain goes down, swing arm goes up, and vice versa. Absolutely normal.

Listen to ANY 450 motocrosser idling across the pits/parking lot. You will hear it clearly, just not loud as there is minimal inertia at that speed.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, tenerecanada said:

It seems like chain slap to me. I usually where earplugs, problem solved 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

2 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Its chain slap on the top chain runner. Happens all the time on my WR450 (and son's WR250 2-str) in the bush at low engine RPM. The power pulses set it off at low RPM on that bike. Due to the 'loose' chain (due to suspension geometry) on the T7, this will happen in whoops/deep chatter bumps/etc as the inertia of the chain doesn't necessarily follow the movement of the swingarm with the same timing. Chain goes down, swing arm goes up, and vice versa. Absolutely normal.

Listen to ANY 450 motocrosser idling across the pits/parking lot. You will hear it clearly, just not loud as there is minimal inertia at that speed.

I was reluctant to say this, but I agree 100%.  Single cylinder bikes (4 stroke especially) do this, but I reserved from chiming in due to the fact that 1)T7 is a twin  2) the countershaft being raise in the transmission. and 3)I don't have mine yet 😉

• Like 1

My comment comes from experience riding for hundreds of whooped up choppy trails with another T7. Nothing wrong with it, just make sure your chain is tensioned to specifications.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• 9 months later...

This I notice, too, and it's annoying. I was thinking that it's either one or both of the chain rollers, or the side stand - possibly the return spring not being strong enough.

So you think it's the upper chain roller? I was looking at these rollers the other day (after suspecting that they're the culprit of the said chatter) and was wondering that if the chain isn't insanely loose, what's the point of them?

12 hours ago, Innocente46 said:

This I notice, too, and it's annoying. I was thinking that it's either one or both of the chain rollers, or the side stand - possibly the return spring not being strong enough.

So you think it's the upper chain roller? I was looking at these rollers the other day (after suspecting that they're the culprit of the said chatter) and was wondering that if the chain isn't insanely loose, what's the point of them?

Check if there is any play in the swing arm. Mine had same noise and I checked the swing arm dog bone links and there was some Freeplay in one of the cross bolts. I retorquedto spec and noise went away but returned after some serious off roading. Will be getting some aftermarket dog bones in off season

• Like 1

I've had this issue, I put it down to running a heavier spring in the rear and the rebound setting not being sufficient to control it. I've upped the rebound damping and its better but I haven't reached a perfect setup yet...I'll keep trying.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2021 at 8:11 AM, Matth said:

Do you have a lower chain guide. This chatters until bed in and of course if chain tension is wrong it will continue to chatter if u have one.

I agree with the lower chain guide. To go further with that, specifically the OEM Yamaha chain guide is noisy as hell even after bedded in. 

• 2 weeks later...