Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hello from Oregon

Dank

Current FJR owner here.  Thinking of trading "up" to a T7.  Just found out my 2018 FJR is being recalled for a self-destructing 2nd gear.  Supposedly the dealer can do the work, I'm not so confident in them.  I've owned a 2012 DL1000, 2016 Moto Guzzi Griso, 1994 BMW K75, 1982 Yamaha XS650 and a 1979 Suzuki TS185. I miss the off-roadability of the Vstrom and the lightness of the smaller bikes I've owned.  The FJR is a freeway mile muncher, and I know I'll miss that too.  Reading and researching the T7 here and on other sites- it seems like a very good and easily maintainable all rounder, which is what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

• Moderators

@DankWelcome. As a former 10 year FJR owner, I miss the torque and brute horsepower,  but not the weight.  I took my FJR on so many rough roads, I broke the weld on the mirror stay, which was a chore to repair.   You're spot on, the 1300 is a mile muncher, but not in any manner is it built for off/rough pavement excursions that I tended to do.   I sold mine, got a great dirtbike ( Beta) and added the T7 to the stable last July.  It's perfect for what it was designed for and if I want to take on unfamiliar single track in steep terrain,  the Beta is called into service.  Just about everything else the T7 handles,  including putting miles behind you. Not as efficient,  comfortable or quickly as the FJR, but when the pavement ends, with the T7, you keep on trucking. Maintenance is on par with the FJR, 24K for the first valve check, so just oil the chain, change oil & filter every 6K and ride the wheels off it.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

So, had an FJR for 8000kms, currently have  T7 (8000kms in 5 months), T12 (40,000kms), GTS 1000 (37,000kms) and a few others. The T12 is a reasonable 'compromise' between the FJR and T7 as it will do rough roads, and mile munch. Too heavy for dual/single track but fine on gravel with the right tires, even 2-up. However, I rode my T7 much more than the T12 last year as the light weight makes life so much easier in the gravel/dual track/single track. Big problem with the T7 is: Wind protection, seat (most hate it, I tolerate it), and low gearing. Fitting a new chain, 16T front sprocket, and MRA screen this weekend, so some of the above problems should largely be solved. If I had to ride across the country on freeways all the time for long distances, I would take the T12 or GTS (or my car/truck). For anything else its T7!

• Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...