Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

700 Tenere electrical problems

Ronald

Hello

I have just added a power plug, by Yamaha to my dash area. This is a Yamaha  item. I plugged it into an open connector on the right side behind the side plate on the tank.

I have also added a power cord to plug into my heated vest. I have ran power to my Garmin mount and two front LED lights. The problem now is that after the bike is sitting over night the battery is dead. I do not have the lights on or the Garmin put in it’s holder. 
       Any help with why my battery is being drained?

Than you, Ron

Where did you pull the power from for the Vest/Garmin mount and 2 front LED's? Are they switched power (meaning on a relay), or hardwired to the battery? Are they all fused? The factory power plug shouldn't be a problem, but...

I think I have Yamaha disease...

I have wired LED lights which has a switch on the handle bars to a fused wire that goes to battery. All the othe items are fused directly to the battery

So, not on relays then? You must have a power draw somewhere in the non factory accessories. Disconnect each accessory power wire from the battery then lightly brush each individual power wire across the positive battery terminal and watch for a small spark(or better yet, connect a 10A ammeter in series between the positive accessory wire and the positive battery terminal). The spark will be very faint but it will be there if you have a draw. Do each accessory separately to identify the culprit.

Forgot to mention the obvious. Keep flammables well away when you are going this.

I have disconnected everything but now the battery will not charge!

this bike is brand new. 

Should I plug into the 2 and 3  pin connectors like I did with the accessory plug I put in on the right side ( just like othe one on the left side) how many 2 and 3 are available to use? I have ordered heated grips as well which will use these pin plugs right? Can you double up on accessories to these pin plugs?

I believe the right plug (behind the fairing) is rated at 2amps and the left one is rated at 10A (someone else on the forum will know for sure). I didn't use either of them to wire my accessories. I used an add on fuse box under the seat that is a switched 12VDC source, so when I turn my key off everything shuts down. I believe the factory accessory grips will plug into the left plug, but all other accessories should come from the battery via a switched, fused and relayed connection.

Why your battery won't charge will depend upon how you are hooking it up to charge it and what you are using to charge it. Are you connecting it directly to the battery? Is it a trickle charger, or battery tender? If the battery is really dead (like under 9VDC, sometimes chargers won't recognize the load and will not charge. A battery tender should bring it back to life.

There should be one 3-pin and one 2-pin connector on each side under the fairings. Both 3-pin connectors are fed from a shared 10A fuse. Both 2-pin connectors are fed from a shared 2A fuse. All 4 are powered only when the key is on so if you use these you shouldn't have any issue with battery drainage. Connect whatever accessories you like as long as you're not blowing fuses...

Edited by Samm
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 1/27/2021 at 5:57 PM, Samm said:

There should be one 3-pin and one 2-pin connector on each side under the fairings. Both 3-pin connectors are fed from a shared 10A fuse. Both 2-pin connectors are fed from a shared 2A fuse. All 4 are powered only when the key is on so if you use these you shouldn't have any issue with battery drainage. Connect whatever accessories you like as long as you're not blowing fuses...

Very useful info, assuming it is correct. We've seen a variety of feedback on this board, saying two, three, and four connectors are under the panels.

The owners manual (pg 7-32) says there is a 10 amp "accessory" fuse,  at position #4 . . . and a 2 amp "auxilliary" fuse at position #5. 

No mention which fuse goes with the 12 volt cigarette type connector on the dash.  Anyone know the answer to that one?

I'm hoping the 2 amp circuit is adequate for my Garmin and a USB port . . . and the 10 amp is enough to power heated grips and lights.  If not, I'd have to go to a PC8 or similar and all the wiring that goes with it.

:

1 hour ago, one wheel drive said:

Very useful info, assuming it is correct. We've seen a variety of feedback on this board, saying two, three, and four connectors are under the panels.

The owners manual (pg 7-32) says there is a 10 amp "accessory" fuse,  at position #4 . . . and a 2 amp "auxilliary" fuse at position #5. 

No mention which fuse goes with the 12 volt cigarette type connector on the dash.  Anyone know the answer to that one?

:

Cigarette plug is on the 2 amp aux circuit. It occupies the 2 pin connector on the left side of the bike.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BMRT7 said:

Cigarette plug is on the 2 amp aux circuit. It occupies the 2 pin connector on the left side of the bike.  

Appreciate the reply.

Seems like a blown fuse waiting to happen tho, in that case.   Try attaching an air pump or a heated vest  . . . anything with a hefty draw . . . and you'd likely pull more than 2 amps.

Makes you wonder if the wire is sized big enough to replace the fuse with a bigger one, or if that's only asking for trouble.

:

• Thanks 1