Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Exhaust interconnect gasket

Andre

Question

I have replaced the stock end baffel with another (Exan) to try save a bit of weight. The replacement pipe is too narrow to fit the interconnect gasket back where they join near the footrest. Is it essential to have the gasket for movement etc or will it be fine to leave it out? Hope this makes sense...thank you.

16118421038725392511206146290076.jpg

6 answers to this question

The gasket is there to fill up the gap between difference of the pipe connection so you don't get any gas leak.

If you can securely fasten both pipes together and NOT have leak, I wouldn't worry about it or you will smell it...oh it smells.

If it does, then smear some exhaust past as BTH2 has suggested, but I would monitor it as the heat cycle of the pipe does cause them to expend/retract in different rate which can cause the exhaust to leak thru the gaps.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. The join is very tight, it was tough placing the new one over the existing and I used the original clamp as it was better suited and sealed up well. No leaks even when running at full temp so should be in order.

• Like 1

Are you talking about the grey soft pipe style gasket, obviously it seals it but it allows a bit of movement if you drop it on the silencer. Should be fine if not wacked too hard as will stress the front part.

• Like 1

Yes, thats the part I am referring too. Seems that it should be fine so will try as is for now. Thanks