Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Should I buy the warranty with the sale of the bike?

Alan

I just put $500 down on the delivery of a 2021 Yamaha Ténéré 700 Adventure Touring Motorcycle. Should I purchase a warranty that is offered upon purchase? Also, is the warranty something that is offered through Yamaha Motorcycles, or is it some kind of third-party warranty offered by the dealer? Thought? Sage advice? 

You shouldn't have to purchase any warranty as it comes with the Bike. In the UK im sure its three years, whats the dealer saying?

• Like 1

Yamaha offers an extended warranty. I believe US bikes come with a 1-year warranty and you can purchase an extension up to 3 years. You can buy from any dealer, not just the one you buy the bike from. There was a dealer in NC who was selling the warranty for under $400. Unless your dealer will do that, I'd shop around. However, I don't know that you'd ever need it. 

• Like 1

I got an additional year of extended warranty for two reasons, spoke corrosion and in case the headlight assy goes out, those are the only issues that seem to be out there. Spokes are pretty common issue, the headlights are pretty rare but have happened to a couple folks. The cost of the headlight assy would be in excess on the warranty if I had to bet. Cant remember the exact cost as I had some accessories installed by the dealer that was rolled into that number, but it wasn't bad. 

I paid for the 3 year yes plan even though I doubt it will need it, but it’s a newer model bike, and you never know. The headlight, dash, etc could go bad. 

my luck it will be fine, just like my super Tenere. 

Mike

I believe in the US we get a 1 year factory warranty. The extended warranty offered by your dealer is an extension of the 1 year factory warranty, not a 3rd party one. However, I’m always wondering if they’ll honor it or try to squeeze out of it. They can say just about anything they want about how one abuses the equipment to get out of it. Unless your dealer super supports your claim. And thats my last point- probably comes down to the dealer more than anything.  I’m “iffy” about my dealer... my salesman is great but not so sure how flexible the service advisor is. 

4 hours ago, Matth said:

You shouldn't have to purchase any warranty as it comes with the Bike. In the UK im sure its three years, whats the dealer saying?

He really was not very specific...

4 hours ago, BLZ2DWL said:

Yamaha offers an extended warranty. I believe US bikes come with a 1-year warranty and you can purchase an extension up to 3 years. You can buy from any dealer, not just the one you buy the bike from. There was a dealer in NC who was selling the warranty for under $400. Unless your dealer will do that, I'd shop around. However, I don't know that you'd ever need it. 

I will shop around then. I have noted the $400 as a data point to include.

Thank you!

a

3 hours ago, wb22rules said:

I got an additional year of extended warranty for two reasons, spoke corrosion and in case the headlight assy goes out, those are the only issues that seem to be out there. Spokes are pretty common issue, the headlights are pretty rare but have happened to a couple folks. The cost of the headlight assy would be in excess on the warranty if I had to bet. Cant remember the exact cost as I had some accessories installed by the dealer that was rolled into that number, but it wasn't bad. 

Good to know on both issues. I would not have guess on the headlights. . .

Thank you, 

a

Here's what was told over on ADVRider a while back:

$369 for a four year extended YES on the T7.

E. T. Weaver
C.C.S., Inc YAMAHA of Jefferson
102 South Main St,
Jefferson, NC, 28640
Ph. 336-846-7744
Fax 336-846-5402

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT675 said:

I believe in the US we get a 1 year factory warranty. The extended warranty offered by your dealer is an extension of the 1 year factory warranty, not a 3rd party one. However, I’m always wondering if they’ll honor it or try to squeeze out of it. They can say just about anything they want about how one abuses the equipment to get out of it. Unless your dealer super supports your claim. And thats my last point- probably comes down to the dealer more than anything.  I’m “iffy” about my dealer... my salesman is great but not so sure how flexible the service advisor is. 

Keen insight! I am all about abusing, with an extreme bias to off-road as a former MX rider. However, I have a very good repour with this dealer as TIG (GTAW) welder on all alloys. So, I will detail the bike prior to any sad tale that starts with "...I had no idea how this could possible happen under 'normal' riding conditions"

Thank you!

a

6 minutes ago, BLZ2DWL said:

Here's what was told over on ADVRider a while back:

$369 for a four year extended YES on the T7.

E. T. Weaver
C.C.S., Inc YAMAHA of Jefferson
102 South Main St,
Jefferson, NC, 28640
Ph. 336-846-7744
Fax 336-846-5402

I captured the info. Very much obliged!!!  (that's a small price to pay when you account for today's shop rates at most dealers)

Thank you!

a 

2 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

I paid for the 3 year yes plan even though I doubt it will need it, but it’s a newer model bike, and you never know. The headlight, dash, etc could go bad. 

my luck it will be fine, just like my super Tenere. 

Mike

What I am hearing is a consensus option that a warranty is likely a prudent investment. I am usually adverse to spending money for them, except when it come to larger investment (sunk costs).  I have faith in my Japanese friends that they built this machine to last!

1 hour ago, Hogan said:

I've got no idea what warranty is on my bike. I only know it will be a minimum of 12 months due to Australian law.

If something is going to break due to a manufacturing or engineering issue then it's very likely it's going to happen in that 12 months.

That's assuming you ride the bike and it doesn't sit around doing nothing.

Saying that mine is about 14 months old now with 16000kms on it and I've had no issues what so ever.

That's a fine testament to the quality of the bike.  Infant mortality failures would likely occur in the first weeks, then onto stress related failure during the bike's useful life and finally, into wearout failures. All this references the normal 'Bathtub Curve' for failure rate.  The bike will likely outlast me...

12 hours ago, wb22rules said:

Don't buy the extended warranty.  Any repairs and maintenance needed you can perform yourself.  Save your money for some tools.  The satisfaction one feels after looking after your own bike is way better than the argument you'll have over a warranty issue and you'll have a way better idea what you're doing if you need a trail side repair. 

Don't do it!

On 1/30/2021 at 7:21 AM, Landshark said:

Don't buy the extended warranty.  Any repairs and maintenance needed you can perform yourself.  Save your money for some tools.  The satisfaction one feels after looking after your own bike is way better than the argument you'll have over a warranty issue and you'll have a way better idea what you're doing if you need a trail side repair. 

Don't do it!

I didn't choose a service plan as I usually do most all services myself. I will take the bike by for the dealer to synch the carbs and plug in their diag tool once in a while, but every thing else I will likely service myself. I intend to get some stainless spokes before the end of the second year and have the dealer replace them under the warranty, and if the headlight or dash goes out in the second year no worries there either.

Edited by wb22rules
  • Like 1

Ducati? Harley? BMW? KTM? YES.

Yamaha? No. They just run. Unless you damage it, in which case it's not warrantied. Spend your money on TRAVEL and not worry beads.

When you purchase the YES warranty is there a deductible for warranty claims. My new Ram and my snowmobile have a $50 deduclable per visit.