Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rim Lock

yamyam

Question

Hi guys, I did some research and did not find the anwser ... It's my first more than 350 pounds bike. I would like to know if it's a nice to or a need to have rim lock on offroad riding with the T7.  I'll not ride the bike with low pressure but I'm an agressive rider. For now, I'll ride it with heavy duty tube. Thanks for your feedback!

5 answers to this question

I wanted a rimlock  but didn't want to drill a hole in my rim. Should already be there I think. So I've just lowered my pressure offroad to 20-25 psi. Be careful getting to aggressive and ripping your valve stem out. Also heavy duty tubes can run hot on long freeway runs or if your doing any long distance touring. 

No need for rimlock(s).

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

You wont find a rimlock to suit the OEM 4,00 width rim, if you really want to run off road a lot, get an 18" x 2,50 rim fitted, then you can run enduro tyres, mousses and rim locks 

83955133_3299030353445137_7116717765309759488_n.jpg

84984853_3299030376778468_4690945216058753024_n.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks guys! Usually I'm not screwing the valve stem on the rim to give me some chance in case the tire is moving on the rim.  For sure in the futur I'll get an other rim set and 2.50 is a good option! 

It will probably be difficult to balance the wheel with a rim lock as well.  I would use a different rim that accepts a smaller width tire.  But no worries.  If I see you on the side of the trail with tire troubles, I'll stop and help out.  (peace of mind)🙃