Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rackless vs Panniers

I just bought my Tenere 700 and I'm looking for the best luggage option for my Moto camping trip.

Im not sure what the best option is between the Reckless 80 and the Backcountry panniers. 

Lets say I want to do a day of joy riding, is it possible to ride without the drybags but keep the shell attached to the bike? Will it flop around? Or do I need to take it all out and leave it at the campsite? 

Is it a big job to put or take out the Reckless 80 from the bike? 

If its properly attached, does it move when you're doing easy to moderate offroading?

The panniers looks great but I'm concerned about the size once its loaded up. With the racks is looks very wide! 

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

y experience with the Reckless - It's pretty easy to get on and off. if it is empty, you can cinch everything down and it will be pretty small. You can also expect it to stay where you put it, it's pretty stable.

It also weights like 7 pounds, vs quite a bit more for a set of the panniers and racks. 

Mike

17 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

y experience with the Reckless - It's pretty easy to get on and off. if it is empty, you can cinch everything down and it will be pretty small. You can also expect it to stay where you put it, it's pretty stable.

It also weights like 7 pounds, vs quite a bit more for a set of the panniers and racks. 

Mike

The standard set-up with the reckless 80 comes in at 15.7lb and then you need to add the weight of the rear rack (~6-7lb). How much does the total weight of the backcountry panniers with the side racks total?

1163203530_Screenshot2021-02-02at18_56_34.png.4381ab4f2c8552080eaa7786b2af3a21.png

Edited by Stabilo_Boss
  • Like 2