Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Thinking about a WR250R...... Should I? is it worth it? WRR questions....

Tazmool

• Premium Member

Ok, this may be a bit of an odd topic... 
But I've been thinking about adding a used wr250r to the garage. 

Part1:
The idea?

I love my T7, and honestly the main reason I'm thinking about the WR250R is to help with riding the T7 in more challenging terrain and to learn/practice off-road (difficult terrain) skills with out thrashing (dropping too much) my T7

On my T7, I already have hit more (what I consider tougher/off road terrain) than I ever would have considered attempting on any of my past bikes.  Don't get me wrong, what I consider "tougher terrain" most will probably laugh at, I've ridden some power line access trails, some construction sites, and grassy hills, climbed in/out of ditches etc....  heh, extreme for me on my brand new, mostly stock T7 😅

I think the WRR may help me build skills, its about 160lbs lighter (easier to pick up) and I think practicing on a cheaper/lighter bike should help with confidence and skill building than worrying about dropping a 450lbs adv bike (I'm not sure how many times I could pick up the T7 before I'm in serious trouble)

My ultimate T7 goal is for it to be my cross canada Bike, hit up some off the beaten path areas, ride confidently into some renegade camping spots, fire access roads, and still be a fun flickable street bike to carve some twisties with. 

IF, I got the WRR, it would be a skill builder, and maybe in the long run a good trail bike?  and who knows where it would take me?  

Any thoughts from WRR owners?     
How does it pair up with the T7? 

Part2:
WR250R specifics...
How well do these bike stand up to high mileage? 
I've always thought dirt-bike type machines were not very *durable*  and I'm seeing WRRs for sale with anywhere from 1300km on the odometer, to as high as 30,000km ....  and both are priced less than $1k apart   (whaaa?)   granted the high mileage ones are modded, and the low mileage ones are bone stock...

One reason I'm a bit keen on the WRR, is that its street legal, and #1 its maintenance requirements are not bad at all....

Not much different from the T7 in that regard.

Ideas? 
Thoughts?

Do I Just practice on my T7 and not worry about it?  (and save the purchase price for the WRR, put it towards taking those ADV riding courses and T7 trips etc)....

There is also the fact that the WR250R is now discontinued.......  not sure why.....

Tazmool

My opinion is not WRR specific but I can say for sure that having a smaller dual sport will help with your big bike riding - lots of transferable skills. I had a DRZ400 up until a couple weeks ago and owned it for two years prior to my T7. I sold it because I wasn’t riding it anymore and was taking my T7 everywhere (trails) I used to take the DRZ. We’ll see in spring if selling was a mistake since the big bike hasn’t seen the disaster that Canadian springtime brings to the trails. Who knows, maybe I’ll be looking for used WRRs soon too...
Anyways, if you can afford it I say pull the trigger. Always good to have a backup steed and you’ll learn a ton of off-road skills a lot safer that you can easily transfer to the big bike when ready. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I owned a wrr.

They are  a great bike.

Not what I would recommend for honing dirt skills tho.

Can you get somewhere where you can use a dirt only, 300cc two smoke?

One of those orange  bikes will  work.

PPE up and ride it like it was stollen.

Jeff

• Like 1

You might want to look for a bike with similar engine characteristics to the t7 if you like it, I have an older XR400 which has low power overall but is like a donkey or tractor and has good low end grunt, like the t7.

Another riding buddy had a war, he got rid of of because of how much you had to wring out the engine in the high rpm band to get power out of it.  It’s fine if you are used to it. But it also wasn’t really a “dirt bike” so he ended up getting a two stroke.

Mike

Try looking at the Kawasaki KLX 250S.  Street Legal.  Great off road bike to hone your skills.  If you're thinking new. KLX 300.  

• Like 1

Time shift 1972 

got myself into a spot.

A narrow ravine.

At the bottom

broke traction tring to get up either side.

Solution , go up the north side as far as could and hammer it towards the bottom.

3rd gear over the bars, on the pegs, whispering words that would get me banned from this site, up the south embankment  and out of that hole.

How else do you learn that Shet?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sold my WR250R before purchasing the Tenere 700. The Tenere 700 does a good job offroad. Just purchase a good set of tires, crash bars and handguards. For the type of riding the Tenere 700 is prefect. 

Apples to oranges. Yes a dirtbike will help with off road skills, but you ride them completely different from one another. If your determined enough you will figure out how to get the job done. If your worried about scratches, maybe stay away from the hard stuff. Even experienced riders drop there bikes. Hopefully someone comes out with more scratch friendly panels at some point though too.

• Premium Member

Thank you all for your insights, appreciate it and it has given more to think about. 
Perhaps, for now I'll stay the course and concentrate on my T7 👍

I will keep a close eye on the adv/dirt training course dates in Ontario, I know there is a course that starts off the day on their dirt bikes (125s 250s etc), and after noon you graduate to your own adv bike (or one of their beemers if you prefer) 

Cheers!
Tazmool

A WRR is not like a dirt bike...it is a smaller dual sport--but way more nimble than your T7.  The shock is bad.  AN uncorked WRR is fun & can hit the highway.  Get the WRR over the KLX.

• Like 1

What do you weigh? How much do you plan on carrying it. I bought a WR , traded in my S10 because I wanted something that could do more off road and I could carry on a hitch rack.

Lets just say, driving it home over a small pass overheated the engine.

I weigh 230

If you are looking for something to trailer to a place to ride off road, it will be fun.

If you are looking for something to go on trips with and be able to go off road, get the t7.

I sold the WR pretty much brand new. the guy got a steal on it.

looking back, i should have kept it to trailer/hitch to some single track. But honestly, I would have probably barely of rode it.

get the T7

I was thinking the same, take also a dirt bike to learn off-road.

But it cost a lot, and I use the tenere in gravel and not so hard off-road. Prefer to spend in crashbar and other accessory so I can drop the T7 without many concern.

cheers

Do it!

I crossed over from 30 years riding street and everything I do is wrong in dirt.

Riding a KLX250S (351) has improved my shitty skills a lot faster than riding the T7.

I would recommend you go a step farther and get a 200lb 300cc two stroke dirt bike.  I’ve improved more in one season riding a Beta then in three years on the KLX.

...on the flip side the, the KLX can adventure and so can the WR.   Biggest trip so far on the KLX was 6 days.  I’m taking it to Utah next month for a week to run the Lockhart Basin.  I’ll decide then if I want take my T7 through there.

Huge difference between a 300lb bike and a 450lb bike.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I’m in the exact same boat as you, Taz. I want to learn as much off roading as possible, and I bring my T7 in places I probably shouldn’t - however, while doing so I am learning a lot and I’ve become a much, much better rider. I almost picked up a klx250s, but I didn’t.

I hope someone comes out with more flexible plastic that doesn’t crack by looking at it. Im not too worried that the T7 will take any significant damage from the tip overs, but I have drilled so many holes in my fairings to get a zip tie through theres no more plastic left 😅

I had a WR before I purchased the T7.  I took the T7 everywhere I rode the WR and with the right tires, it goes where the WR goes.  One caveat is that with the WR, you can go a bit faster and slide out your rear more for fun on turns.  To get to the back roads where I live, you have to also ride the twisties and the WR was no fun in the twisties due to the lack of power.  The T7 was a great compromise.  I sold my WR and got the YZ450FX.  So, in conclusion, having a dirt specific bike is always more fun and I think it builds confidence on the T7 offroad.

• Like 1

Personally I wouldn’t bother with a smaller Adv bike, better to just buy a proper enduro bike.

You can basically chuck these at the scenery all day long and they’ll take it. I’ve been riding enduro bikes for only 4 years with no previous off road experience and I don’t think I’d fancy experimenting for the first time on a T7. 

It will definitely improve your off road skill set and confidence but will also help you recognise what’s possible and what will probably end badly.

The funny thing is that after riding my T7 off road I actually feel more confident on the enduro, going from the bike bus sure makes the enduro bike feel lighter 😁

On 2/6/2021 at 7:42 AM, Tazmool said:

I think the WRR may help me build skills, its about 160lbs lighter (easier to pick up) and I think practicing on a cheaper/lighter bike should help with confidence and skill building than worrying about dropping a 450lbs adv bike (I'm not sure how many times I could pick up the T7 before I'm in serious trouble)

My ultimate T7 goal is for it to be my cross canada Bike, hit up some off the beaten path areas, ride confidently into some renegade camping spots, fire access roads, and still be a fun flickable street bike to carve some twisties with. 

IF, I got the WRR, it would be a skill builder, and maybe in the long run a good trail bike?  and who knows where it would take me?  

Any thoughts from WRR owners?     
How does it pair up with the T7? 

I think you have the right idea and good reasons for wanting a WR250R.  The WRR is an incredibly capable and fun bike.  Despite it not being a "true" or pure dirt bike like a lighter 2-stroke or YZ250F or such, it will feel like a light dirt bike compared to your T7.  I think owning a WRR will greatly complement the T7.  After owning and riding a WR250R, along with the T7, you will have the benefit of being able to choose the right tool for the right job when it comes to various types of riding. 

Sounds like you've been riding your T7 in places that, while it is clearly capable of, would be much more enjoyable on a lighter more dirt-oriented bike, and I don't think you could go wrong with the WRR.  With a handful of mods, the WRR is a fantastic capable and reliable trail bike. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I  love my WRR.  It's lived in various storage units around the West for the 11 years I'be had it.  It's done the CDR twice, multiple BDR's and taken everything I can throw at it... but...  It sucks on the highway and is underpowered when you most need it in rough terrain.  I'd suggest getting a smaller dirt bike for training or look at the 450cc Honda instead.   I gave up holding out for a WR450R and put a deposit on a T7.  Wanted a twin for big mile highway days, instead of a bigger thumper.

• 8 months later...

Jumping in late on this topic. I've had a WRR for a couple of years and just recently purchased a T7. I've looked at your original inquiry and the comments here and I think it really depends on what kind of skills you want to develop, what type of riding and what level you're currently at as a rider. The WRRs are totally different bikes and much easier to handle, pick up, etc. But, as others have stated, they not a proper dirt bike. That said, if you need a plated bike and still want some capability on rough terrain/singletrack the WRR's will do a decent job, just not like a pure trail/enduro bike.   

I'm amazed at some of the terrain people are riding on the T7's. The bike is certainly capable and won't hold most people back, that's for sure. But if you're just want to develop your bike handling skills with less worry about laying it down or injuring yourself, then I think the WRR is a good option. 

Curious what you decided to do and what your experience has been!

20211030_152727.jpg

Probably just repeating others comments but...

I've got a little WR and love it to bits.  The things are ultra tough and reliable and can definitely take you places that might be tricky on the T7 (he says, waiting to pick up his T7 tomorrow).

Mines got a big tank and a few other farkles and it's a great small Adv bike.  just got back from taking into some very cool places in the South Island.

No matter how good the T7 turns out I'll be keeping the little WR.

If I wanted a small and light slow travel bike I'd go for the WR250R. For having fun on trails, I prefer the WR250F.

But I'm not sure the F is road legal everywhere.

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

Mentioned by others, but if the main goal here is to learn better dirt techniques that can be applied to the T7 I believe formal training is a great way to go.

I'd ridden both dirt and street bikes for many years, and didn't know what I didn't know. Then, after buying my '07 R1200GS Adv and taking it off road, I quickly decided I needed help before I hurt myself. BMW's two day off-road course at their facility in S. Carolina was exactly what I needed to learn all kinds of techniques and gain confidence in the dirt on bigger bikes which I've since applied to all my subsequent bikes including the T7. Once you experience counterweighting the pegs, drifting the rear end in corners, locking the front wheel, sand, gravel, lifting after drops, turning around on steep hills, etc., on a 550 lb bike, all the rest is great fun. 

Good luck in your decision.

I may be late to this as well but here goes. I just sold a wfr450 after 12 years and 29,000km, and got myself a T7.

Why ? I don't live close enough to really good trails, and the wrf450 is a pain on road  great off road but needs lots of servicing.

The T7 is not light, but after riding an old Africa twin offroad you can do pretty much everything with these mid size advs if you are not worried about the odd scratch and drop.

• Like 1

• Members

Jumping back in, but @jdub53makes a great point.  Training and learning techniques is a huge help for a new rider. 

I grew up riding dirt bikes but quit in my teens.  20 years later, I wanted to get back into dual sport and adventure riding.  I started with a local MSF new rider course, then took a two day dirt course from an outfit in Vegas, then an ADV course from BMW.  All these courses provided the bikes.

Then I bought my WRR and rode the snot out of it for 11 years.  Still have it, and will not be selling it, as it's too much fun.  It's a good counterpart to my T700.

Edited by RobR
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RobR said:

Training and learning techniques is a huge help for a new rider. 

And not just for a new rider. I'd had my motorcycle license and had been riding regularly for about ten years when I took the MSF basic rider course just for giggles. I was amazed to find out all the things my self-taught self had been doing wrong, and how much better a rider I was after that course.

After following that up a year later with the advanced rider course, I became an MSF instructor myself and taught basic and experienced rider courses for six years until a job and work schedule change no longer allowed for it. I believe I never stop learning.