Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Handlebar controller for zoom in/out & trip computer switch

Spuzvica

• Spuzvica changed the title to Handlebar controller for zoom in/out & trip computer switch

NIce job.  Looks good.  I wish I had something I needed to zoom in on.

J

• Haha 1

@Spuzvica Nice one. Wanted to try with my headset and discovered it won't work with most apps 😄 Looks like it is specific to Locus Maps...

What is the 3 button set are you using? Do you have a link to buy one of this? Most buttons I found on Amazon or ebay are either crap or pure racing ones (including the price).

8 minutes ago, didier said:

@Spuzvica Nice one. Wanted to try with my headset and discovered it won't work with most apps 😄 Looks like it is specific to Locus Maps...

What is the 3 button set are you using? Do you have a link to buy one of this? Most buttons I found on Amazon or ebay are either crap or pure racing ones (including the price).

I know Locus and OsmAnd can be configured that volume buttons act as zoom in/out, don't know about others. But it's good pointing out that this is not exactly a universal solution.

Would be nice to know if the new Drive Mode Dashboard (which is aimed at a much more expensive bluetooth controller) would support this fairly simple method.

I was tempted to buy the carpe iter bluetooth controller but did not for two main reasons:

1. I don't know how to mount it in a convenient way on the left side of the handlebars.

2. It's another battery I have to worry about being charged.

3 minutes ago, Spuzvica said:

I know Locus and OsmAnd can be configured that volume buttons act as zoom in/out, don't know about others. But it's good pointing out that this is not exactly a universal solution.

Would be nice to know if the new Drive Mode Dashboard (which is aimed at a much more expensive bluetooth controller) would support this fairly simple method.

I was tempted to buy the carpe iter bluetooth controller but did not for two main reasons:

1. I don't know how to mount it in a convenient way on the left side of the handlebars.

2. It's another battery I have to worry about being charged.

I tried with google maps, ways and Locus. Only locus worked (or maybe there are some settings somewhere but I didn't find).

Did you test what would additional buttons do?

According to android specs you can have up to 4 buttons: https://source.android.com/devices/accessories/headset/plug-headset-spec

Circuit de test du casque de référence 1

I wonder whether there are Navigation apps that support Blutooth HID (protocol used in Blutooth joysticks and game controllers). That would be not too complex to integrate with some arduino 🙂

I noticed Nomad Sweden has its Carpe Iter controller mounted horizontally https://youtu.be/V9C_9IfHtlg?t=748

I knew that three buttons were possible on android but not four, interesting.

I guess they are originally aimed at music players:

1. Volume up

2. Volume down

3. Next song

4. Play/pause

I am sure any app could implement functionality for all four. But I only know of OsmAnd and Locus where you have to explicitly enable "use volume buttons for zoom in/out" feature in settings.

I watched the Nomad episode with carpe iter controller and I really don't like that position, you basically have to take the entire hand off the bar to use it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I watched the Nomad episode with carpe iter controller and I really don't like that position, you basically have to take the entire hand off the bar to use it.“

I thought the same too.
However, it is entirely possible to place the controller to the left of the switch unit, with a little patience and hairspray ;-)).

063FE082-83FA-4D36-B900-0E2006FB42A8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I went with this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085BYDHG9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Not as many features but I can zoom in/out and center, etc.

This one also works which allows you to move around the map.

Edited by kainic
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 2/22/2022 at 2:49 PM, Peter_W said:

I watched the Nomad episode with carpe iter controller and I really don't like that position, you basically have to take the entire hand off the bar to use it.“

I thought the same too.
However, it is entirely possible to place the controller to the left of the switch unit, with a little patience and hairspray ;-)).

063FE082-83FA-4D36-B900-0E2006FB42A8.jpeg

Nice Peter
Am I thinking of the same solution as you? Did you connect directly to the battery, or did you use the sockets that are available.
Was it problematic to install it? You wrote hairspray? 🙂 Are you happy with it?

Hi,

I used the connectors on the right side of the tank.
And no: the installation went smoothly after I temporarily made the handles movable with hairspray and moved the switch unit slightly to the right and screwed it there.
In principle, I am already satisfied - however, the remote control only works with DMD2 and the connection to the smartphone also breaks off from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2022 at 11:03 PM, Peter_W said:

Hi,

I used the connectors on the right side of the tank.
And no: the installation went smoothly after I temporarily made the handles movable with hairspray and moved the switch unit slightly to the right and screwed it there.
In principle, I am already satisfied - however, the remote control only works with DMD2 and the connection to the smartphone also breaks off from time to time.

I got my today, try to connect it to the 3 pins on the left first, no power, sen the rigth, no power =(, DOA ? hmm  
I used below to connect. but no power on the unit =( . I also try to move the instrument cluster to right, and  the device close to the handel, but then  but then there was a gap when I was going to screw it together, so it didn't quite go together =(

Edit :
So i tested to connect directly to the batteri, hand whopps is was light. 🙂 
So if I understand you correctly, you used hairspray and sprayed this under the handles to move them out?

EL-ADSP-T7-Stromausgang-Adapter-Yamaha-T

Power output adapter Yamaha Tenere 700   Adapter for "tapping" the OEM power outputs under left and right fairing of the Tenere 700. Ideal…

Edited by ncc1701e
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Yes, but I only compressed the rubber grip about 1 cm to the left. With the shifting of the left indicator unit there was enough space for the controller.

• 2 months later...

After I got rid of the iPhone to always primarily connect to the CI controller, it runs stably with the Android device I use.
I can easily get to the turn signal switch.
Have fun with it!!
By the way, I find it nicely explained here by Nomad Sweden (https://youtu.be/lu004ugMP4A)..

• 4 months later...

I didn't want to start another thread as it's pretty much the above install.  Just after some advice after installing a single push button switch (NC) on the clutch side of the bars to toggle through the trip functions, to replicate the select toggle on the throttle side. I tapped into the black/white wire as above however I've lost function of the original select switch, and after I stop toggling through the functions with the new button, if I stop on one of the trips it will reset it to zero. It toggles through the options no worries with each press of the button. The switch I bought is just a small 2 pin weatherproof momentary NC switch. Any thoughts?