Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Headers and Skid Plate compatibility, issue I have, and who has gotten what to work?

Tazmool

Question

• Premium Member

Hello Everyone, 

Ok, I've gotten myself into a Problem....
I installed a set of Dominator headers a while back, I like the decat and lighter weight.
However, I'm having a problem finding a good SkidPlate that will actually fit?!?

I have a B&B Off-Road Engineering skid-plate, that does not clear the Dominator header (outside mounted springs do not clear), and so the skid-plate cannot be installed.

I also have a BlackDog Ultimate Skid-plate (that I read had extra room) and its front mounting bracket does not clear the header so the BlackDog skidplate will not install...

So now I have 2 skidplates that cannot be used on the bike 😞
The OEM skid-plate clears just fine, lots of room, but what do I do now? 

What aftermarket headers and skid-plate combos have you guys gotten to work? 
Photos too please if possible?

Any help is appreciated.

Tazmool

2 hours ago, pgeldz said:

I've had them the day there were released, haha - but I was in the middle of recovering from a double cervical spinal fusion in my neck.  During recovery training, I decided to keep training and did a 70.3 IRONMAN in Hawaii, and then did all the track riding I could to get ready for my first Pro road race with MotoAmerica, which happened last month at Laguna Seca 🙂

Now that all of it is over, I'm finally starting to get into my Tenere build.  Bike is a year old and I only have like 288 miles on it!  I'm a total noob at off road, so I'd like to build it so it's really off road capable (although its rider isn't, haha).  My buddy suggested we do the Mint 400 next year on it, so I'm building it to be a proper bike for that and look like my team bike in MotoAmerica...

Wow, impressive. The T7 needs enjoying now! I absolutely love mine and got a trip coming up to the Picos de  Europa in a week or so all being well.

For anyone with Leo Vince headers looking for a skid plate:

The Black Dog Skid plate did not fit my bike although 1 or 2 posted on this thread that it worked for them.   Also Kurt said he had some customers that fit his plate with Leo Vince headers (maybe the same people that posted here?) Anyway, the BDCW skid was not even close on my bike, I sent Kurt some pictures and he really helped me out by letting me return the skid plate.  The quality and design of the BDCW is great, I definitely would have liked to run it on my T7, and I have no idea how it fits on other T7's with LV headers  but not mine.

I finally found success with the @Camel ADV skid, it fits perfect with lots of clearance for the headers.  It also allows me to run Rival engine guards, win win.  The design and thickness of the Camel skid is impressive as well, so happy that I found a great quality skid that fits my LV header equipped bike

My first skid plate, which was an Alt  Rider (and did not fit my bike without mods), was not very impressive as it is noticeably thinner aluminum than both the BDCW and Camel.  As noted earlier in this thread I did make it fit with spacers and ovalizing the mounting holes but it wasn't ideal.  I only rode it over a couple CO 4x4 passes and some rocks kicking off the front wheel put two dents in it.  I've heard similar impacts on the camel plate and only the anodizing was scratched, no dents.  Same for the BDCW that I run on my 990 Adventure, plenty of rocks have kicked off my front tire and never dented it.  The positive of the Alt Rider is that it's light weight if you just need something better than stock but not as heavy duty as the BDCW or Camel.  If you plan to spend lots of time off road  where it's rocky I would definitely recommend the BDCW and Camel skid plates over the Alt Rider.

20210917_162951.jpg

Edited by projected
  • Like 2

• Supporting Vendor
On 10/2/2021 at 10:22 PM, projected said:

For anyone with Leo Vince headers looking for a skid plate:

The Black Dog Skid plate did not fit my bike although 1 or 2 posted on this thread that it worked for them.   Also Kurt said he had some customers that fit his plate with Leo Vince headers (maybe the same people that posted here?) Anyway, the BDCW skid was not even close on my bike, I sent Kurt some pictures and he really helped me out by letting me return the skid plate.  The quality and design of the BDCW is great, I definitely would have liked to run it on my T7, and I have no idea how it fits on other T7's with LV headers  but not mine.

I finally found success with the @Camel ADV skid, it fits perfect with lots of clearance for the headers.  It also allows me to run Rival engine guards, win win.  The design and thickness of the Camel skid is impressive as well, so happy that I found a great quality skid that fits my LV header equipped bike

My first skid plate, which was an Alt  Rider (and did not fit my bike without mods), was not very impressive as it is noticeably thinner aluminum than both the BDCW and Camel.  As noted earlier in this thread I did make it fit with spacers and ovalizing the mounting holes but it wasn't ideal.  I only rode it over a couple CO 4x4 passes and some rocks kicking off the front wheel put two dents in it.  I've heard similar impacts on the camel plate and only the anodizing was scratched, no dents.  Same for the BDCW that I run on my 990 Adventure, plenty of rocks have kicked off my front tire and never dented it.  The positive of the Alt Rider is that it's light weight if you just need something better than stock but not as heavy duty as the BDCW or Camel.  If you plan to spend lots of time off road  where it's rocky I would definitely recommend the BDCW and Camel skid plates over the Alt Rider.

20210917_162951.jpg

Thanks for the shout out 😉

• Like 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

I had the AltRider skid plate initially, then I got the Akra header pipe and the AltRider plate would not fit back on due to the additional clearance that the Akra header pipe required. I ordered the @Camel ADV skid plate and it clears the Akra header pipe perfectly, and also fits just fine with the Outback Motortek upper+lower crash bars.

The Scotts reusable stainless steel oil filter housing also fits behind the Camel skid plate, fwiw.

• Like 1