Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Two finger clutch

JayD

Question

Hello!

I dont know much about how a clutch works, but I assume a clutch isnt either fully engaged or fully disengaged, it has to be partly at times or else it would be a jerky ride.

How do I know if the clutch is fully disengaged? I’ve always operated the clutch with all four fingers on road pulling the clutch all the way to the handlebars, but now that I’m learning to ride off road, I quickly realised that removing all fingers to operate the clutch could and did result in a complete loss off the left handlebar.

When the clutch lever is pulled with two fingers and hitting my ring and pinky, which is grabbing the handlebar, is the clutch fully disengaged if theres no raise of RPM? I just want to be sure, so I’m not ruining the clutch.

Any information is highly appreciated.

Have a great day,

Johannes.

5 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, JayD said:

Hello!

I dont know much about how a clutch works, but I assume a clutch isnt either fully engaged or fully disengaged, it has to be partly at times or else it would be a jerky ride.

How do I know if the clutch is fully disengaged? I’ve always operated the clutch with all four fingers on road pulling the clutch all the way to the handlebars, but now that I’m learning to ride off road, I quickly realised that removing all fingers to operate the clutch could and did result in a complete loss off the left handlebar.

When the clutch lever is pulled with two fingers and hitting my ring and pinky, which is grabbing the handlebar, is the clutch fully disengaged if theres no raise of RPM? I just want to be sure, so I’m not ruining the clutch.

Have a great day,

Johannes.

Well, you could try, start bike in neutral, pull clutch in using two fingers, engage to first gear, if bike stalls or is overly clunky going into gear ( pretty clunky anyways) perhaps you could assume that the clutch isn't fully engaged, another suggestion would be to invest in some shorty levers which only use two digits to operate and have adjustment at the lever for your personal choice, this upgrade was the first thing I did to my bike, can be purchased from eBay or AliExpress for a very reasonable price, or you can source various other types that are outrageously overpriced elsewhere, these type of levers certainly make it easier off road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The friction zone of a cable clutch is between "right after clutch lever free play" to "fully disengagement of clutch plate"

the fully disengagement is not & should not happen when the lever is pulled all the way to the grip. This leaves no buffer/slack when you turn the handle bar as that does shorten/lengthen the cable slack to some degree.

You can find out where that initial engagement is by doing this.

stopping on a flat level ground without applying any brakes and hold the clutch lever all the way to the bar. slowly release the clutch lever  until you feel that slight pull from the bike. That spot will roughly be it.

Knowing this spot, you will be able to tell if your fingers are "big enough" to prevent the clutch to be pulled in past that spot.

also knowing where that spot is, you can also train to use it for super slow stuff since a motorcycle clutch can be slip to a certain degree.

Go watch some of the best trial/technical riders. They slip those clutches like no tomorrow.

hopefully whatever I typed makes sense. It is a lot easier to show than type lol. 

Edited by TimmyTheHog
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JayD said:

Hello!

Have a great day,

Johannes.

Hmmm, I didn't think to ask, just how big are your fingers??

3 hours ago, Stevoh said:

Hmmm, I didn't think to ask, just how big are your fingers??

Haha, I have big hands. No problem with reach. Thanks for your first answer!

Edited by JayD

Thanks everyone for good answers. It seems to be like I initially thought, but I like to be sure. Now I have tests to do and go out and play with the clutch to find this spot. I will also look into aftermarket levers.

Again, thanks, you guys are always super helpful. This forum increases the fun of owning a T7.

Johannes