Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Jerky on/off throttle at low revs : resolved

CackalackyADV

You guys have already helped me so much with my new bike that I wanted to give something back to the group.  Hope it helps someone.

After seeing this solution somewhere on this forum, I order and installed the Belinassu SMART IAT (intake air temperature sensor) yesterday.  The result was a VERY noticeable immediate improvement.  It was not subtle....as in I no longer have the issue.  The throttle is much smoother at low revs now.  Install took about 5 minutes.  I removed the 4 screws of the front upper part of the wind shield, remove the 2 screws of the multi-function meter unit (aka the dashboard unit)…unplug the old sensor inside the dashboard unit and plug in the new sensor….that’s it.  $160.  Fast DHL delivery from Italy with a high level of communication from Andrea.  You can read more about his solution on his website if you are interested.  There is a great deal of information and background there.

Let me know if you have any questions.  I’m happy to provide more detail if needed.

https://www.belinassu.it/

Email Andrea:

belinassu.it@gmail.com

IMG_4047.jpg

Edited by CackalackyADV
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, CackalackyADV said:

You guys have already helped me so much with my new bike that I wanted to give something back to the group.  Hope it helps someone.

After seeing this solution somewhere on this forum, I order and installed the Belinassu SMART IAT (intake air temperature sensor) yesterday.  The result was a VERY noticeable immediate improvement.  It was not subtle....as in I no longer have the issue.  The throttle is much smoother at low revs now.  Install took about 5 minutes.  I removed the 4 screws of the front upper part of the wind shield, remove the 2 screws of the multi-function meter unit (aka the dashboard unit)…unplug the old sensor inside the dashboard unit and plug in the new sensor….that’s it.  $160.  Fast DHL delivery from Italy with a high level of communication from Andrea.  You can read more about his solution on his website if you are interested.  There is a great deal of information and background there.

Let me know if you have any questions.  I’m happy to provide more detail if needed.

Email Andrea:

belinassu.it@gmail.com

Hello,

Do you mean that you no longer notice the sudden jerk that occurs when you open gas?

And regarding fuel consumption, have you noticed a significant increase? Because if the system is fooled into believing that the air entering the engine is colder so that the control unit supplies more fuel, fuel consumption will have to increase somewhat.

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 1:23 PM, Ol'crazy said:

Hello,

Do you mean that you no longer notice the sudden jerk that occurs when you open gas?

And regarding fuel consumption, have you noticed a significant increase? Because if the system is fooled into believing that the air entering the engine is colder so that the control unit supplies more fuel, fuel consumption will have to increase somewhat.

From the website, it does exactly what you think.  Google translate worked pretty well. Also the dash temp display is read off this sensor so, might be annoying if you use that. 

https://www.belinassu.it/396108570

• 4 months later...

This is AGE OLD ghetto mod, (GM TBI starting from 1987) usually done with a $1.69 resistor. 
Primitive method to just dump more fuel in. 
Clever marketing indeed. 

• Like 1

I have been reading about a jerky throttle since I joined back in February. I am happy to report that I picked up my bike last week and really don't have a problem. Yes, it is geared pretty low so if I roll on/off the throttle in first gear it is a bit jerky, but that is no fault of the bike. Overall I am very happy with it. As always, I will make a few changes to the bike to suit my tastes, but the Engine/Throttle/ECU Mapping are OK with me. 

I live on a gravel road so I have been "testing" this goofy ABS braking.... this is my first motorcycle with it. As I am older and not planning to do any tough off road riding, I am trying to convince myself that ABS is good, but it sure doesn't seem good to me. I never liked it in cars either... maybe I am just a cranky old guy.

• Like 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

1 hour ago, Hibobb said:

I live on a gravel road so I have been "testing" this goofy ABS braking.... this is my first motorcycle with it. As I am older and not planning to do any tough off road riding, I am trying to convince myself that ABS is good, but it sure doesn't seem good to me. I never liked it in cars either... maybe I am just a cranky old guy.

ABS is ONLY good for pavement and possibly HARD PACK but generally, not good for off road. If you are riding up and down gravel roads alot, I would turn it off-

22 minutes ago, Firebolter said:

ABS is ONLY good for pavement and possibly HARD PACK but generally, not good for off road. If you are riding up and down gravel roads alot, I would turn it off-

The thing I worry about is what my reaction will be in a panic (unexpected) stop. Being used to standard brakes all my life, right now I would let up when I feel a skid. With ABS they say to just keep squeezing...

If I could, I wound turn them off on my T7 and pretend I never heard of them. The stupid button to turn them off means sometimes I remember, sometimes I don't... So what is the right thing to do, just leave them on and get used to ABS? What happens when I am on one of my older bikes without ABS? Will I remember to react differently?

Ya, the same questions probably came up when cars went to ABS and I lived thru that. I think four wheels, seat belts, and airbags took away a lot of my concerns. That is not the case on a M/C.

Argggg, I AM a cranky old guy!!!

• Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Think you’re overthinking it 😁

Just ride it and embrace the T7’s twentieth century technology 

Edited by Alan M
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alan M said:

Think you’re overthinking it 😁

Just ride it and embrace the T7’s twentieth century technology 

Is Scotland not embracing in the twenty first century yet 😉

If so, count me in!!

• Haha 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

21 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

Is Scotland not embracing in the twenty first century yet 😉

If so, count me in!!

It is, but ABS is last century 😎

I have a 35 year old Yamaha road bike, the T7 is the first bike I’ve had with ABS and haven’t noticed any need to adjust my riding style on tarmac between the two. 👍

Edited by Alan M

I love the ABS on gravel as well as pavement.  You'll get used to it @Hibobb and you too will learn to love the brakes.  Until you hit something.

• Moderators

I'll continue to promote this thread drift by agreeing with @Hibobb, ABS in the dirt sucks!   I'm old school and my T7 is my first  bike with ABS. Lots of arguments both agreeing & disagreeing with ABS, but I purposely ordered my last FJR as Non-ABS as I want minimal computer interference with my braking.  Yes, I see the benefit on pavement,  but I choose not to embrace it and would've ordered the T7 without it, if possible.  I just might do an ABS delete if I can't bond with a bike that does what it wants, regardless of what I tell it to do. Just think of the weight savings, but guaranteed I'm in the minority on this. 😉

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

14 hours ago, AZJW said:

I'll continue to promote this thread drift by agreeing with @Hibobb, ABS in the dirt sucks!   I'm old school and my T7 is my first  bike with ABS. Lots of arguments both agreeing & disagreeing with ABS, but I purposely ordered my last FJR as Non-ABS as I want minimal computer interference with my braking.  Yes, I see the benefit on pavement,  but I choose not to embrace it and would've ordered the T7 without it, if possible.  I just might do an ABS delete if I can't bond with a bike that does what it wants, regardless of what I tell it to do. Just think of the weight savings, but guaranteed I'm in the minority on this. 😉

Pull the fuse the ABS is off, put a manual switch in the fuse line the ABS will be off or on.

• 5 months later...
On 2/17/2021 at 12:14 AM, CackalackyADV said:

Email Andrea:

belinassu.it@gmail.com

Thanks for the tip 👍

Just ordered one from Andrea

Just to get rid of the annoying on/off jerky behavior when going offroad on tricky trails

Unfortunately I can not try this yet, I have to wait for spring 😁

IMG_4275.JPG

Edited by Swedenguy69
Forgot picture :)
  • Like 1

To be fair i never experienced mentioned jerkiness... maybe because from the beginning i have scorpion ehaust without baffle and i have cut the snorkel? Or perhaps its because i have ridden FI KTM 990 Adventure in the past, and after that nothing is really jerky 🤣

Anyway - i have had a Kev mode on my Tenere 660 together with DNA stage 3 modyfication, and that made bike a beast (as much as it can be with 50BHP 😆).  When we compare it to the bike with power commander fitted it was similar during riding (Kev mod plus DNA was actually quicker revving and more wheelie happy) but fuel consumption went through the roof.

I don't care about fuel consumption on my bike, and would welcome some more power to raise the wheel, but something like that shouldn't cost 100 Euros...  Max i would like to pay for it is 50 Euros.

I installed the Belinassu temperature sensor months ago. Basically what it does is make the control unit believe that the ambient temperature is about 9 degrees Celsius lower than the real one, which causes it to inject more fuel into the cylinders to compensate for the supposed higher density of the air.
In my case, what I have done, to complete the change, is to cut the air filter cover so that it is the same size as the air filter hole, maximizing the amount of air that the engine is able to absorb.
With both changes I have noticed that the bike has a much more immediate response, increasing revs better and improving handling at low revs even more. The shock when opening gas has improved somewhat, although it still exists.
The two inconveniences are, on the one hand, that the ambient temperature reading on the instrument panel is 9 degrees lower than reality, and that when washing the motorcycle you have to put a cloth in the filter hole to prevent water from entering due to lack of snorkel.
Otherwise it is a highly recommended modification.

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10