Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Coming from a Super Tenere

eddylindenstein

I searched but couldn't find a thread of converts so I thought I'd jump in..  I have a 2016 Super Tenere ES and it's been awesome - I really shot myself in the foot by not getting into ADV riding sooner.  I'm in the PNW and normally to get to really great dirt we haven't done already, we are going 200+ miles sometimes to get there.  I ride about 6k miles per year; usually a 2-3k mile trip in the summer and the majority is pavement, but I hit dirt as often as I possibly can.  We don't have the large land masses of open dirt like some of the southwest parts of the country, but we do have a BDR that I want to tackle sometime in the next couple of years.

I'm 5'6" and weigh about 175-180lbs.  Who has come from a decked out Super Tenere to a T7?  The appealing parts of it are the 125 fewer pounds, something new, something more agile, and it would be my first brand new bike.  The things my Super Tenere has that the T7 does not would be Electronic Suspension, Tubeless Tires, Traction Control and Cruise Control.  Cruise can be easily remedied with a throttle lock and I don't use it much anyway.  The other stuff such as the protection, panniers, heated grips, adjustable windscreen, etc - can all be added so I'm not as worried about those.  The tubeless tires are probably my biggest concern of features, but I also wonder about hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of miles in a day on the much smaller T7 - not as much wind protection.  It's only been available for about 8 months in the states and the YouTube videos are glowing, but so far the reviews of people that have put tens of thousands of miles on them is limited to Long Haul Paul, and he's no mortal.

I can't keep 2 due to size and I'd hope I would get $9k'ish for my Super Tenere.

Anyone have a story?

• Like 1

Welcome. I have both. My S10 is a '13. I have 40,000kms on it, and still love it. I received my T7 last May, and have over 7000kms on it, and love it too. They are different. The S10 is a cruiser that can do gravel/double/single track (if you are brave), while the T7 is a lightweight cruiser that if set up properly can do everything your S10 did and much more. Most of my T7 riding has been in the Rockies with gravel/dual track/forestry roads being the bulk of it. Would have taken the S10 on them, but the T7 was way more fun due to its much lighter weight. I am running an Outex tubeless conversion and haven't had any problems once I got one spoke leak sorted out. I'm on my third set of tires without problems. Biggest problem at the moment is getting part from Yamaha and others, although the aftermarket is really kicking in. Let me know if you want more info, and I'm more than happy to give you any further info your request.

Edited by Canzvt
  • Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

I’ve had 2 S10’s and now the T7.  Living in central Florida the off road options are few so I use the S10 mostly. Ask yourself what you want from the bike you choose and go from there. A bias to off road  go with the T7, more of a road based adventure rider, stick with the S10. I’m guessing that Mama Yama will introduce several variants of the T7 in the near future. There are spy photos of a model with what appears to be a larger fuel cell. So maybe just relax and see what the next model year brings.

• Like 1

I came from your world!

I had a 2013 ST with all the trimming as well, including some suspension work. I took that bike all over the place, including some places a big bike probably shouldn't go, but I loved it.

To compare, the t7 is a bit "smaller" like a dirt bike, in that on my S10, standing i was less cramped, as the footpegs were lower and farther back,  the the handlebars seemed farther forward. It was a longer bike so that makes sense.  I put my old Fasst Flex bars back on, and got some slightly lower pegs and I think that 

From a power perspective the S1- / T7 feel the same, I bet it will be different on the highway. They are both tractors down low.  Wind protection is less on the T7 as well,  my legs get colder on the T7 they were pretty well protected on the s10. 

From a maintenance perspective, I preferred the shaft drive, and the tubeless tires.

Picking them up, is about a wash to me, the S10 was heavier but did not fall over as far. 

Luggage and accessory compatibility is more of a pain on the t7 - the S10 had a seperate rear rack mount, and the T70 you have to combine the side racks and rear rack off the same mounting points, and it will definitely not carry as much luggage as the S10. 

Hopefully that helps. I like the T7 so far but only have 1200 miles on it vs 35K on a super tenere. I wish i could have kept both as well but only really had room for one of them.

Mike

• Like 2

Went from a '14 S10 to the new T7.    I have no regrets as I ride primarily off-road (KTM 300 & 500) and appreciate  the T7's lighter weight and big dirt bike feel of the T7.  Actually found the T7 better than I anticipated for long trip, on-road use.

I did modify the T7 more towards road riding by installing a one tooth larger countershaft sprocket, Seat Concepts seat, Oxford heated grips, Givi taller windshield, etc.  Currently using soft luggage but that may change.  Have a trip planned to Alaska (my 4th) as soon as the borders open again and feel the T7 will be fine.  And, I believe the Yamaha's legendary reliability exits in the new T7 as well as it did in the S10.   

I have a 2014 Super Tenere and I am now selling it because the T7 is just fine on the highway.  I finally have the protection and luggage capacity on the T7 so that I can let the S10 go.  Just did an 1100 mile trip to Death Valley.  I did carry a Rotopax but did not need it.  I will miss the cruise control but there are options...

I think the T7 is just

more fun.

My S10 was fine onroad  (ironbutt from SJC -> LTO)

i took it to the dirtbike park, but the rangers asked me to keep off the MX track... apparently the boys with the polished frames didnt like looking up and seeing the oil pan and luggage going over em on the doubles...

the T7 is MASSIVELY better for singletrack,  but I havent aired it out yet, cause stock tires are rubbish

I also had an S10, a 2016 with full Jesse luggage and Altrider rear rack, including the one that replaced the rear seat. It was a wonderful bike, dead solid reliable and handled all I did on a bike well. I did not do more that forest service roads with it, so mostly road riding and trips. It would carry a stupid amount of stuff if I wanted to. It was flawless on my 9,000 mile retirement ride back in 2018 and the cruise was much more useful to my arthritic hands than it would have been to my 30-year old self.

That said, it was a heavy beast. Most of my riding is solo, so any drops (there were a few) were all on me to deal with. Even if I shopped for the heaviest accessories to put on the T7, it comes in at least 125 pounds lighter than my farkled up S10. The engine is delightfully torquey and I expect Yamaha reliability. I am turning it into a backroad traveller with the occasional FS and two track gravel/dirt capabilities. Plus, at least a chance at picking it up if I drop it!

The things I will miss will be the shaft drive and cruise but chains don't scare me after owning a couple of bikes with them. (Came off of BMWs, all shafts). A throttle lock will be added as a cruise substitute. 

The T7 would not be as nice crossing the mid-west, heading to the western states for a ride (I am in NC) but those days are likely done for me, having done it a few times. The next western ride the T7 will probably be in back of my truck until I get to Denver! 😀

• Like 1

I cleared out my garage and managed to squeeze a T7 in alongside my S10 (and 1989 3Aj 600 Tenere).

Had a few scary moments where I thought I was going to get my S10 stuck in the bog on remote Scottish single track when riding solo. Figured I can pull the T7 out more easily.

T7 trips I am planning this year include MS6 in Morocco (April or October) which would be really difficult on the S10 and Nord Cap in July. The speed limit in Norway is a meandering 50mph and so more suited to the T7.

I'll use my S10 and Touratech panniers et al for long Europe tours and 2-up camping trips around Scotland with my kids/wife.

Sold my 2013 S10 last week.  Would have liked to have kept it, but space is limited and I really want to keep it to one bike for now.    Bought the T7 the same day.  Bike is still in the crate so probably be a week or so to get it home.  

Hopefully it is the unicorn I am seeking.

I waited 10 months to get my S10 in 2011 as a 2012 here in the US. Went through the PDP to buy it. Serial number was 375 that year. Rode it for 40k miles 5 years all over SW, NE and SE. Never a problem. It was a pig off road however and when I lost about 35 lbs in 2016 I decided then and there it was to big of a bike for me and sold it. Waited and watched the T7 for 4 years, bought mine june 2020. I never planned to do any touring on the T7 so can't compare it on road to S10. It would severely fall short against the S10 on road. Off road the T7 is without a doubt the better bike. I bought a Tracer 900 GT to do my long fast road rides on now days. The two bike thing is working fine for me.

• Like 1