Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Walked away...

doniv

Hey there!

New member from California (Bay Area) here. I've been riding for around 25 years, some adv, some classic bikes, some sport touring... I really enjoy riding on dirt and was hoping to get a new T700 yesterday. Alas, as soon as I saw that the dealer had $452 in freight and $1,562 (yes, that's 15% of the MSRP of the motorcycle) in dealer prep fees, I walked away with my deposit. No way I was paying $13K+ for it to take it home with me. 

I guess I can use the soon-to-be-arriving gorgeous Wings titanium+CF exhaust I saw on this forum to make my farts sound better until I finally get my hands on a more reasonably priced T700. If someone's looking to sell, let me know. 

Have lurked around a bit here and have already gotten a lengthy list of farkles coming together. Awesome community!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don’t blame you Doniv, some dealers are just greedy. I’m sure your get one sometime, just be patient. 👍

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, doniv said:

Hey there!

New member from California (Bay Area) here. I've been riding for around 25 years, some adv, some classic bikes, some sport touring... I really enjoy riding on dirt and was hoping to get a new T700 yesterday. Alas, as soon as I saw that the dealer had $452 in freight and $1,562 (yes, that's 15% of the MSRP of the motorcycle) in dealer prep fees, I walked away with my deposit. No way I was paying $13K+ for it to take it home with me. 

I guess I can use the soon-to-be-arriving gorgeous Wings titanium+CF exhaust I saw on this forum to make my farts sound better until I finally get my hands on a more reasonably priced T700. If someone's looking to sell, let me know. 

Have lurked around a bit here and have already gotten a lengthy list of farkles coming together. Awesome community!

Hey Doniv, I work at all terrain motorsports, a dealership out in colorado and we don't charge any freight handling or setup fees just a $99 title fee and tax. I've had a few people fly out and ride there bikes back home for less than what most California dealers will let one go for i depending on what color you were looking for we still have a few bikes scheduled for march that haven't been spoken for. Give me a Call if you cant find an honest dealership to work with! 970-434-4874-Kevin

• Like 8

• Moderators

@donivIf you haven’t yet tried Capitol Yamaha in Sacramento,  I urge you to do so. My T7 last July was $11,586.95 OTD. Great staff and dealership to work with and they do what they promise.  

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

2 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@donivIf you haven’t yet tried Capitol Yamaha in Sacramento,  I urge you to do so. My T7 last July was $11,586.95 OTD. Great staff and dealership to work with and they do what they promise.  

Thanks for the tip! Will check them out too. 

25 minutes ago, T7Kevin said:

Hey Doniv, I work at all terrain motorsports, a dealership out in colorado and we don't charge any freight handling or setup fees just a $99 title fee and tax. I've had a few people fly out and ride there bikes back home for less than what most California dealers will let one go for i depending on what color you were looking for we still have a few bikes scheduled for march that haven't been spoken for. Give me a Call if you cant find an honest dealership to work with! 970-434-4874-Kevin

Good to speak with you, Kevin. Riding back from Colorado through Utah is definitely an appealing idea. Let's see if I can make it happen!

• Like 2

Doniv,

I think Kevin's idea is a winner.  He's a "stones throw" from Ouray, Sivlerton etc.. and the Canyon.  That area is insane on a moto. You will have to practice passing gas for several months with your "Wings" (excellent choice on the can BTW. Have had many on my KTM's. 99.9% of AKRO at half the cost) apparatus but that would be an awesome adventure.  That area has CA beat in spades for riding.  Also, you can wear out that pair of shoes the bike comes with and put some proper kicks on when you get back. 

What town in the BA were you referring to the dealer marking up?  I'm up in Auburn and the dealers in Sac seem to get them from time to time and from what I've seen..no DP or Destination mark ups.  YMMV

You might try Tracy powersports, they are showing two in stock and it's not far from the Bay Area.  I think they might be good to work with.  Although, riding back from  Colorado does sound NICE

Edited by SKIPNOMAD
Add info

5 hours ago, doniv said:

Hey there!

Many happy owners bought T7s through Berkeley Yamaha.  Scott and his crew don't mess with BS ADM and know how to navigate Yamaha's bureaucracy.  Got mine from them during the PDP fiasco

What dealer did you work with originally?

J

My experience was with GP Sports in San Jose. I'll see if Berkeley has any in stock - thanks, Goldentaco! SKIPNOMAD - I'd checked with Tracy Powersports but I was a day too late and they'd sold the black one I'm looking for.

Mototifosi - Utah's one of my fav places and I'd love to ride through it again. Let's see how things work out. Happy to be here and get all these awesome tips (and Wings)! You guys rock!

• Like 1

5th Gear Powersports in Elko is a great dlr as well. 775-738-8933 Talk to Jessie, she is very knowledhable.

i was in there a couple days ago and they expect more T7’s in March. 

• Like 1

Dealers can be all over the map and unfortunately demand is high on this bike and some dealers are taking advantage.  I have hooks out on three dealers. One is a buddy dads dealership and although not quoted an exact price says it will be less than MSRP and little to no dealer fees. Friends and family discount as it were. The problem is they are almost 6  hours away. doable but not convenient.  Next up my local dealer..( hour away) MSRP plus $94 Doc fee....I have an actual deposit on that one. Lastly a dealer about 2 hours away in state called me to say he MAY have one available end of March. MSRP plus about $820 in fees.... So right now I hope the local dealer  gets  one in first.... The best deal when factoring in pickup etc...

All that said good on you for walking away. Yamaha will eventually catch up on production so if you aren't desperate for the bike better to wait for a deal you can live with.  For me I have 3 bikes I can ride while I wait....

Meanwhile the pile of T7 farkles in the garage is piling up.....😅

Good to hear the recommendation, Hammy. I'm trying to figure out if the bike can be set up with the farkles I'd want right at the dealership (which seems possible) AND with a buy-back on the original parts coming off of the bike considering they've never been on the road. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 11:56 AM, doniv said:

Good to hear the recommendation, Hammy. I'm trying to figure out if the bike can be set up with the farkles I'd want right at the dealership (which seems possible) AND with a buy-back on the original parts coming off of the bike considering they've never been on the road. 

A buy back 😂are you high stock parts are worth nothing. I have a pile of take off parts from bikes over the years.... when I sold the bike the new owner wouldn’t even take them.... for free. 

eta: location checks out 😆

Edited by mpatch

3 hours ago, mpatch said:

A buy back 😂are you high stock parts are worth nothing. I have a pile of take off parts from bikes over the years.... when I sold the bike the new owner wouldn’t even take them.... for free. 

eta: location checks out 😆

One thing I've learnt in life is to not be ashamed to try for something you want. The worst that can happen is that I'll get turned down (which I did), but at least I won't be that sucker with a pile of take off parts that could have been be a wee bit smaller 🙃