Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

US Supply - Did your Tenere arrive on-time?

eddylindenstein

I am rehashing this and hopefully you all don't hate me - we're all motorcycle riders so I don't think you will:

I am leaving for a motorcycle trip on March 25th on my Super Tenere 1200 ES. I put a deposit down on a T7 that is due to arrive Mid-March. I put my Super Tenere up on Craigslist not expecting to get any traction for probably another month because the weather just blows right now, but within 3 days I had a ton of hits and one guy who is stoked to buy it.  He came and saw it yesterday and texted this morning that he wanted to come and get it.  

Three concerns I have about the T7 Situation:

1.) The dealer gets it later than he's saying and I don't have anything for my motorcycle trip.  How many of your actually got your Tenere's when the dealer said they would?  I've called Yamaha Corporate to see if they can help me get a real idea but it literally just sends me to voicemail.

2.) The T7 is too underpowered and/or light for long-distance touring. I know the T7 is best for more dirt; I'm going to do more technical dirt than I do now because it's available to do, but my motivations for a T7 are far more in it's smaller size, zippiness, fun-factor and the feeling of being more "athletic," on a smaller machine.

3.) The Super Tenere has Electronic Suspension, Shaft Drive and is really comfy on super long trips. The comfort on the T7 is unknown because there are ZERO within 500 miles to test ride or sit on; the suspension might not be a big deal because I'm only 180lbs; the Shaft Drive has been awfully nice to have no maintenance on.

I don't have the room for 2 bikes, so it's one or the other. Can you chime in on all 3?

Sounds like you may be better of sticking with the S10 Yes the T7 is more off-road capable but if you are doing 90% pavement on long trips sound like the S10 fits the bill better IMO. 

I own a 2012 S10 and love it and won' give it up. I Sold my KLR650 to be replaced with the T7 

Honestly I wouldn't put any faith in what the dealers are telling you. I have been hearing the "we're getting one in next month" since October and I'm still waiting. I'd hang onto the S10 until the dealer tells you he has a VIN and an exact delivery date...

• Like 2

OP....where are you at?  If you were close, I would let you sit on and look mine over.  I did re-spring it because I weigh

230 all geared up.  I also own a 2015 Super Tenere and the T700 is not a replacement for the S10 for traveling.  The wind protection, shaft drive, cruise control, etc. make the S10 a superior traveling bike.  But, the T700 is not under powered and will

run 75-80mph all day.....just needs a bigger windshield and could use a one tooth larger countershaft sprocket to cut the revs.

I am running a soft tail bag, tank bag, and small Apache hard cases mounted to a Tusk rack/saddle bag combo.

To me, the T7 is a very nimble, eager running motorcycle.  It feels much more refined than the S10 engine and is really smooth with power throughout the rev range with no big hit anywhere.

I ordered my bike last may during the PDP cluster @#*& and picked it up in late July 2020.  I don’t think Yamaha did a very good job on the order process and numerous people’s orders were not honored due to dealer or Yamaha screw ups.  I just talked to my dealer yesterday and he said he is having difficulty with confirming/placing orders with Honda and Yamaha due COVID related supply issues.  He is hoping to have confirmation on a T700 order by the end of the week.

36 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

OP....where are you at?  If you were close, I would let you sit on and look mine over.  I did re-spring it because I weigh

230 all geared up.  I also own a 2015 Super Tenere and the T700 is not a replacement for the S10 for traveling.  The wind protection, shaft drive, cruise control, etc. make the S10 a superior traveling bike.  But, the T700 is not under powered and will

run 75-80mph all day.....just needs a bigger windshield and could use a one tooth larger countershaft sprocket to cut the revs.

I am running a soft tail bag, tank bag, and small Apache hard cases mounted to a Tusk rack/saddle bag combo.

To me, the T7 is a very nimble, eager running motorcycle.  It feels much more refined than the S10 engine and is really smooth with power throughout the rev range with no big hit anywhere.

I ordered my bike last may during the PDP cluster @#*& and picked it up in late July 2020.  I don’t think Yamaha did a very good job on the order process and numerous people’s orders were not honored due to dealer or Yamaha screw ups.  I just talked to my dealer yesterday and he said he is having difficulty with confirming/placing orders with Honda and Yamaha due COVID related supply issues.  He is hoping to have confirmation on a T700 order by the end of the week.

Thank you!  I'm in Seattle.  I may have actually just found a local guy that will let me test ride his on Saturday!  I really can't swing the space for two bikes, so T7 would have to replace the S10.  Even on a 300-500 mile day, it's rare we'll spend more than a couple hours of that on a freeway because we prefer the 50-60mph twisties with scenery.  I just don't want to make a bad choice, because S10's are impossible to find right now - in fact I have the only used S10 in my entire state.

5 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

The T700 will be just fine for what you intend to do with it.

I fully expect the 1,000 mile day my buddy and I are doing in June would totally suck

• Sad 1

Just now, AllOfTheData said:

If anyone wants to skip the ambiguous wait and buy mine, pm me. 

Why do you want to get rid of it??

I am moving for work and where I am going has no nearby public lands or dirt roads. All privately owned farmland. The bike is badass and perfect for the high desert and forest alike. 

I put a deposit down almost a year before I took delivery in August '20.  I was part of that messed up Yamaha lottery thing but I did end up getting one.  I've been super impressed with every aspect of the T7 except what everyone else says: the seat isn't that comfortable for long days and the suspension needs to be upgraded for serious off-roading.  Done.  Just finished all that today.

Everything I'm hearing is that you really can't rely on the dealers saying when they're getting a unit on the sales floor.  It's not their fault; there's huge demand and they're probably sick of having to put folks off.  There are some T7s out there but you'd need to ship one to you.  I check Cycle Trader occasionally and there's almost always one around somewhere in the US.

My immediate recommendation is to ride the bike you know (the S10) for this trip despite it being a bit bigger than what you want.  You should be comfortable with a machine before embarking on a big trip.  You know the S10 so stick with that for now.  Start the search for a T7 when you get back.  Yes, they're rare and with C-19 backups and delays, who knows when one will be available.

Put down a deposit, take the S10 on your upcoming trip, then sit around and wait for your unit to arrive.  You know there's a strong market for your used bike whenever you actually want to sell it.

• Like 2

If your T7 actually arrives on time, just have the dealer hang onto it until you get back.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PackinDirt said:

I .  I check Cycle Trader occasionally and there's almost always one around somewhere in the US.

Put down a deposit, take the S10 on your upcoming trip, then sit around and wait for your unit to arrive.  You know there's a strong market for your used bike whenever you actually want to sell it.

I wouldn't rely on Cycle Trader either. You may get lucky but I been finding dealers are either just putting them up there to generate calls or the bike is sold already. One dealer didn't even know they had an ad up.  It seems that some of the West Coast dealers are starting get them in. I don't know what that means for the rest of the country. I'll be touching base with my dealer, again, to get the monthly update. 

I have been looking all over Texas for a T7 for the past month.  Recently a bunch have shown up on the Yamaha dealer inventory.   All of my calls none of those have arrived yet.  A dealer I talked to today said that yamaha will put those up as dealer inventory when they ship to the dealer.  The dealer supposedly doesn’t get invoices until the bike arrives physically at the dealer.  All of the dealers say any day now but Yamaha is difficult to work with on giving arrival time.  So I expect there will be a large batch arriving in text in the coming days or weeks.  Not sure how long it takes to get from Japan to dealer lot.  Lastly seems like most of these (not all) already have deposits on them.  Anyway that’s what I’ve found out.  

35 minutes ago, Tintop said:

I have been looking all over Texas for a T7 for the past month.  Recently a bunch have shown up on the Yamaha dealer inventory.   All of my calls none of those have arrived yet.  A dealer I talked to today said that yamaha will put those up as dealer inventory when they ship to the dealer.  The dealer supposedly doesn’t get invoices until the bike arrives physically at the dealer.  All of the dealers say any day now but Yamaha is difficult to work with on giving arrival time.  So I expect there will be a large batch arriving in text in the coming days or weeks.  Not sure how long it takes to get from Japan to dealer lot.  Lastly seems like most of these (not all) already have deposits on them.  Anyway that’s what I’ve found out.  

Same deal here. They’re on a truck for delivery. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking also. None to be found in NJ and the best I am being told is sometime during the summer....if that. Crazy but not unexpected I guess.