Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

ABS light on after front end work

PackinDirt

Question

I had the front end apart to install progressive fork springs and the CamelADV high front fender kit.  Upon getting everything put back together and starting up the bike, the "ABS" light is lit on the dash.

I was careful with the front wheel sensor during this work and the wheel is installed correctly with the ABS disc facing the sensor.  I used a vacuum pump to bleed the brakes until the fluid ran clear of bubbles.  There is resistance at the front brake lever and the bike stops well.  Once it has sat a couple more days, I'll take off the reservoir cover and carefully pump out the last remaining air bubbles.  But I don't think this has anything to do with the sensor.

I've had the front wheel off several times for tire swaps so what happened?  I really thought I was being careful.

14 answers to this question

53 minutes ago, PackinDirt said:

I had the front end apart to install progressive fork springs and the CamelADV high front fender kit.  Upon getting everything put back together and starting up the bike, the "ABS" light is lit on the dash.

I was careful with the front wheel sensor during this work and the wheel is installed correctly with the ABS disc facing the sensor.  I used a vacuum pump to bleed the brakes until the fluid ran clear of bubbles.  There is resistance at the front brake lever and the bike stops well.  Once it has sat a couple more days, I'll take off the reservoir cover and carefully pump out the last remaining air bubbles.  But I don't think this has anything to do with the sensor.

I've had the front wheel off several times for tire swaps so what happened?  I really thought I was being careful.

The ABS should calibrate from the front sensor.. Check the distance between the sensor and the abs ring... If that is as per manual then it's something else. 

Aleks 

I had a similar problem with another bike last year and it turned out that I had bent the ABS ring even though I was being ultra careful. The bend in it meant that it was out of spec for part of the rotation. A gentle manipulation where it was bent sorted the issue.

• Like 2

@PackinDirt, this may be a dumb question but you said you started the bike up but you didn't actually say you'd ridden it? ABS light is on at start-up but goes off once you start riding.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, electric_monk said:

I had a similar problem with another bike last year and it turned out that I had bent the ABS ring even though I was being ultra careful. The bend in it meant that it was out of spec for part of the rotation. A gentle manipulation where it was bent sorted the issue.

I have done this a number of times on previous bikes and it always triggers the ABS light. The first thing I look for now is a bent ABS ring.

13 hours ago, Uncle M said:

@PackinDirt, this may be a dumb question but you said you started the bike up but you didn't actually say you'd ridden it? ABS light is on at start-up but goes off once you start riding.

Hey, no dumb questions.  Always start with the obvious; I'm not offended.  Good question, though.  Yes, I did ride it around the yard and up and down the driveway a couple times.  That's how I tested to see if the brakes were functioning (grip, pressure, etc.).  The abs light stayed on the entire time.  Call it 3-4 minutes.

Kind of funny that after 25 years of riding, this is the first bike I've owned with both fuel injection and ABS.  It's a whole new world!

• Like 3

Another user (my buddy, Offcamber) on ADVRider suggested that I might need to ride it a bit more to get the ABS code to clear.  We'll see today.

Edited by PackinDirt

Yep, crisis averted.  ABS light cleared after a couple miles of around town riding.

Still getting used to these new-fangled electronic bikes...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've run into a similar issue.  Installed the Camel ADV  high fender kit, bled the brakes, and have put about 40 miles on the bikes since the installation.  Now, every time the ABS illuminates when i turn the key to on and turns off after I've moved 10-20 yards on the bike.  I'll check my ABS ring for deformation tonight but if it was bent I'd assume the light wouldn't turn off.  Any thoughts?

@Roarke that is normal operation for the ABS light. Mine has been like that since I picked up the bike at the dealer with 1 mile on the odometer. 

You are fine, Roarke. I read in the instructions that the ABS light goes out once bike gets to 6 mph.

• Moderators

@Roarke Perfectly normal, nothing to worry about.

Screenshot_20220718-083602_DuckDuckGo.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

thank you, all.  Man, if ever I've earned a newb stamp this is it.  I legit do not remember the light behaving that way before the fender kit installation. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

@Roarke No worries.  That's what this forum is for, friendly exchange of information.  Just so you know, free beer for all those who answered will never be frowned on. 😉 🍺 

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

This post just solved a problem I have been having lately.

ABS light started staying on all the time recently.  That last time I pulled the front wheel I was forgetful and didn't pull the ABS sensor before removing the wheel.  I remembered having a little more difficulty than normal pulling the wheel. 

Low and behold I had slightly bent the ABS ring. I pulled the wheel, removed the ABS ring, flattened it with a hammer on a flat surface, re-assembled and all is good now. 

Lesson well learned.

Edited by Simmons1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750