Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Some things never change, 50 years of farkles

concours

Crunch time, I've amassed a bunch of upgrades for the bike, plan on putting on a couple thousand miles soon. 

The Adventure Spec crash bars fit up perfectly. A+ kids.

The Adventure Spec top rear rack and side luggage racks. A+ again.  (Take your bows Adventure Spec, lifelong metal fabricator praising you here.) The instruction sheet printing is blurry & lightly printed, the images suck.

The Camel tail tidy fits on there. The OEM parts it replaces had the wiring completety shielded from flying rocks and heavy chunks of mud hanging off them. The tail tidy relies on zip ties to route the wires, which are right in the firing line for rocks off the rear knobby. The tail tidy does away with the mandated rear & side reflectors. Cuz safety isn't cool in today's culture. 

The Cyclops turn signal kit was what transported me back in time. Nice LED whisker shaped turn signals like modern culture says look good. (I've bought several of their lamp products, good stuff) and then, there...... there it was. Where the OEM used compact Sumitomo gasketed connectors, now the custom designed kit changes it over to open bullet type connectors. ("snap connectors" on British bikes) The same old stuff we were using 50+ years ago. They corrode, get pulled apart. I put 'em on there, under duress, they're working, for now. I paid all the beans for the full custom fit, model specific kit, they came close... 
792D02E0-E50D-407C-AB21-95564226E68B.thumb.jpeg.11748def5b89ec787238bece424d6345.jpeg

It was right then when I had the flashback. 50 years ago, ordering a "upgrade air filter assembly" for my Yamaha Mini-Enduro from J.C. Whitney (they were just a pass-through retailer for a more well known maker I can't remember the name of now), I waited weeks. When it arrived, Dad (a talented mechanic) & I  assembled it on the bike, but it became clear, the design/manufacturing had several fails. I started thinking how so many times over the years, the aftermarket parts are rarely as well designed & manufactured as EOM. Kerker header? Baffle broke and ejected at highway speed. Lockhart oil cooler? Cast aluminum adapter plate leaked from new, I had to machine it flat. On & on it goes. 

"Upgrades".....

Yaaaaaaaaaaa......
Some things never change.

Edited by concours
  • Like 4

Dang!  Good memories, good times.  It's always fun modding a mod.  I think I have the last Kerker made.  Still love it, shitty excess welds inside the header and all.

Just modified the OEM light pod brackets to mount Denali pods.

OEM Light Bracket.jpg

Love my Kerker!  Had it ceramic coated.  Neighbors hate when I run the competition baffle.

Kerker Comp v Street.JPG

Kerker ID's.JPG

Edited by Idarex
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 1:48 AM, concours said:

Crunch time, I've amassed a bunch of upgrades for the bike, plan on putting on a couple thousand miles soon. 

The Adventure Spec crash bars fit up perfectly. A+ kids.

The Adventure Spec top rear rack and side luggage racks. A+ again.  (Take your bows Adventure Spec, lifelong metal fabricator praising you here.) The instruction sheet printing is blurry & lightly printed, the images suck.

The Camel tail tidy fits on there. The OEM parts it replaces had the wiring completety shielded from flying rocks and heavy chunks of mud hanging off them. The tail tidy relies on zip ties to route the wires, which are right in the firing line for rocks off the rear knobby. The tail tidy does away with the mandated rear & side reflectors. Cuz safety isn't cool in today's culture. 

The Cyclops turn signal kit was what transported me back in time. Nice LED whisker shaped turn signals like modern culture says look good. (I've bought several of their lamp products, good stuff) and then, there...... there it was. Where the OEM used compact Sumitomo gasketed connectors, now the custom designed kit changes it over to open bullet type connectors. ("snap connectors" on British bikes) The same old stuff we were using 50+ years ago. They corrode, get pulled apart. I put 'em on there, they're working. I paid all the beans for the full custom fit, model specific kit. 
792D02E0-E50D-407C-AB21-95564226E68B.thumb.jpeg.11748def5b89ec787238bece424d6345.jpeg

It was right then when I had the flashback. 50 years ago, ordering a "upgrade air filter assembly" for my Yamaha Mini-Enduro from J.C. Whitney (they were just a pass-through retailer for a more well known maker I can't remember the name of now), I waited weeks. When it arrived, Dad (a talented mechanic) & I  assembled it on the bike, but it became clear, the design/manufacturing had several fails. I started thinking how so many times over the years, the aftermarket parts are rarely as well designed & manufactured as EOM. Kerker header? Baffle broke and ejected at highway speed. Lockhart oil cooler? Cast aluminum adapter plate leaked from new, I had to machine it flat. On & on it goes. 

"Upgrades".....

Yaaaaaaaaaaa......
Some things never change.

Good memories!...but it's so true about OEM parts often being 'uncool' but better made. I love my aftermarket goodies , but am well aware that if  my T7 was in totally stock form it would still be a great bike!. One of the biggest failings in aftermarket parts  is (as you say) wiring.  Stock wiring on modern Japanese bikes is excellent,  the connectors are good and incredibly efficient and waterproof.  But I love a well fabricated extra,  like the Camel high exhaust,  Adv spec rack.  And the Rally Raid stuff is beautifully made.  The T7 Rally tail tidy..plus many more.  When a product is made by the smaller companies by people who actually ride the bike it's a nicer purchase!  Cheers,  Steve 

• Like 1

Ha ha brilliant. I remember ( uk) my fs1e and DT80 MX 

both had boyeson racing reeds, head gasket removed K & N airfilter and a fresco exhaust system just to annoy everyone.

used to get 35 as standard and 55 balls out after the mods

oh happy days

• Thanks 1

I have used those bullet connectors forever. touch of dielectric grease and they will never corrode. I had a ton of them and the tool  to crimp them when I had to redo my 1978 CX500 wiring harness from the fool who owned it before me. Dude had used butt connectors but left 3 inches of stripped wire on either side of the butt. every time you would turn the bars something random would short. I can understand though why you wouldn't like them though.

You can route the wires for your signals up and out of the way on the camel tidy.  I have my signal lights under the fender on my dirt bike for a long time and never had a problem, other than they get filthy as heck

Mike

I know it's a bit of a bitch and moan on my part and slightly off topic but...

I hate the word Farkle

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/3/2021 at 2:44 PM, electric_monk said:

I hate the word Farkle

I agree, it's wickid retahdidd.

we always said: "aftuhmahkitt stuff"

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the SeatConcepts Comfort SportTouring seat in November. They're way behind (no surprise, the bike is too) and I got it in February. A week before I leave to go play in the Ocala Forest, I stripped my old seat,    glued the new foam to the pan, wait... the cover is way bigger than the foam...

Turns out they assmbled the wrong foam to the seat cover. I communicated with SC, told them I was leaving with the bike and can you ship the new foam out overnight.

No.

We don't do that.

"I'll pay the shipping"

No.

We don't do that.

So, one & DONE with these kids. 🖕

I have 3 Russell Day Longs, $1000-1200 each. I'll buy another tomorrow when the need arises. 

3B42333B-0275-4F70-8751-D2E022181AFD.jpeg

F356274B-EFB4-4063-9BE0-2862C7F62430.jpeg

Edited by concours
  • Sad 1

Let's not forget the cheap garbage, fragile-as-ribbon-candy plastic mounts supplied by Cyclops in the custom fit kit. 
Unfeckingbeleivable JUNK. A waste of my time to install. A HUGE DOWNGRADE from Yamaha's rubber biscuit pop off mount. 

526EFB3A-9CAB-42B2-8F53-8517C02AA06A.jpeg

6AD55E8E-1CF5-4B07-89F6-C632F4698C4A.jpeg

• Dislike 1

I bought the Cyclops signal kit and already had both rear signals fall out of the rubber threads onto the threaded stem. What a piece of junk these things are. I will never do business with that over hyped over priced company on anything they make or sell. No way they would survive a fall onto them. Mine were bumped in the garage while doing some organizing and both completely came loose from the signal threaded stem. Rubber threads onto a metal stem, what a joke, most likely they source this crap from China and jack the price way up. My first experience with this company and it has not went well. On the install the flasher relay was wired backwards, called them up, they told me the problem and I had to correct it by swapping the pins. Told me a new guy did several that way, well hello, send me a correct one and take some accountability to your product and stop blaming that guy. Oh almost forgot my right rear signal never worked right out of the box they had to send me a new one. Ridiculous!

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 1:22 PM, MikeCMP said:

I have used those bullet connectors forever. touch of dielectric grease and they will never corrode. I had a ton of them and the tool  to crimp them when I had to redo my 1978 CX500 wiring harness from the fool who owned it before me. Dude had used butt connectors but left 3 inches of stripped wire on either side of the butt. every time you would turn the bars something random would short. I can understand though why you wouldn't like them though.

You can route the wires for your signals up and out of the way on the camel tidy.  I have my signal lights under the fender on my dirt bike for a long time and never had a problem, other than they get filthy as heck

Mike

There is a reason the entire automotive industry (including motorcycles) migrated away from bullet connectors. I have fixed junk for 50+ years. 

Cyclops does NOT get a pass for converting modern sealed connections over to ancient design, corrosion prone NON-sealed bullets..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, roy826 said:

I bought the Cyclops signal kit and already had both rear signals fall out of the rubber threads onto the threaded stem. What a piece of junk these things are. I will never do business with that over hyped over priced company on anything they make or sell. No way they would survive a fall onto them. Mine were bumped in the garage while doing some organizing and both completely came loose from the signal threaded stem. Rubber threads onto a metal stem, what a joke, most likely they source this crap from China and jack the price way up. My first experience with this company and it has not went well. On the install the flasher relay was wired backwards, called them up, they told me the problem and I had to correct it by swapping the pins. Told me a new guy did several that way, well hello, send me a correct one and take some accountability to your product and stop blaming that guy. Oh almost forgot my right rear signal never worked right out of the box they had to send me a new one. Ridiculous!

Well Shet 

my Cyclops kit is on its way after a 5 week wait 

So much stuff is junk nowadays no matter what brand name is on it. All made in China to the specs the seller sets. China can make awesome stuff if the person they’re making it for sets the specs and holds them to it. But the vast majority of companies will lower a few parameters  to make more money. 
On the flip side most people couldn’t afford all the crap we buy if it weren’t for China/overseas manufacturing. 

Edited by mpatch

43 minutes ago, mpatch said:

Well Shet 

my Cyclops kit is on its way after a 5 week wait 

So much stuff is junk nowadays no matter what brand name is on it. All made in China to the specs the seller sets. China can make awesome stuff if the person they’re making it for sets the specs and holds them to it. But the vast majority of companies will lower a few parameters  to make more money. 
On the flip side most people couldn’t afford all the crap we buy if it weren’t for China/overseas manufacturing. 

You’ll see the light, sorry, and it’s way over priced! 

28 minutes ago, roy826 said:

You’ll see the light, sorry, and it’s way over priced! 

Hmm looks like they took some $10-15 Chinese lights added a connector or two and put their name on them. 
Not sure how I missed that thread before I ordered. 

https://advrider.com/f/threads/turn-signal-upgrade-sequential-front-drl-and-rear-activated-with-brake.1427780/

son of a b I got ripped off and I’m normally very good about not overpaying 

ABA7034C-9E7C-4C2C-8CF4-ED17CBFD9D28.thumb.png.b446a2e4d896495c8df62b0f3371e5ec.png

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, mpatch said:

Hmm looks like they took some $10-15 Chinese lights added a connector or two and put their name on them. 
Not sure how I missed that thread before I ordered. 

https://advrider.com/f/threads/turn-signal-upgrade-sequential-front-drl-and-rear-activated-with-brake.1427780/

son of a b I got ripped off and I’m normally very good about not overpaying 

ABA7034C-9E7C-4C2C-8CF4-ED17CBFD9D28.thumb.png.b446a2e4d896495c8df62b0f3371e5ec.png

Exactly, sorry I didn’t post up my findings way earlier. The T7 is not on my radar as it’s not my only bike and stays parked like 100% of the time lately, well always actually lol. They suck I won’t buy anything from them ever again. They were crappy to deal with when one signal wouldn’t even work and the flasher relay was wired backwards. Then the back two signals just fell off being lightly bumped in my garage moving things around. Can the product be improved, doubt it it’s chinesium no hope there was my take on it. Another rub is their website for the product is kinda snappy, “out of stock, don’t call, don’t order, basically piss off for 4-6 weeks” we’ll let you know when the Chinese get back to work and sell us some more crap for buck and we’ll let you the hard working Rich American buy it for a buck 40. 

I won’t apologize this company is the worst run US company PERIOD!

• Like 2

"...we're going to remove these giant pumpkins, don't know why anyone would re-use these..."

Well, maybe, so that the signal lights are visible from the side of the vehicle, versus just in front or behind it. Lots of engineering goes into lighting, and there are safety standards, which, most of the time are overkill, right up until they're not. So, I know most of you are like Ewen & Charlie, and wild animals on the Serengeti don't care about conspicuity, but a few safety nerds still must operate occasionally where other drivers are.  

C4357256-DF44-4A12-901E-E1F6BB08CA1C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2021 at 1:44 PM, electric_monk said:

I hate the word Farkle

Don't forget "Tupperware" (Plastic cowling parts)! Tupperware & Farkles, Tupperware & Farkles... I just want to beat some people!!!

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Barkbusters, Rideworx, please, take a bow. Absolute PERFECT custom fitment. Smooth & easy. As mentioned, a lifetime of metal trades, manufacturing. You guys NAIL IT. 
Do not waste time on any other "copycat" handguards. The GENUINE ARTICLE is here & works great. 

B9413944-4A2C-4681-8CAE-93D6C7299F9E.jpeg

312417C7-1B9A-4BB8-91E7-7585C62C5BD8.jpeg

D29321C2-1255-4A78-9DF4-AF1987A0C57E.jpeg

• Like 1

AdventureSpec lightweight aluminum parts ROCK. Fit into place well. Well done, take a bow. 

14ACABB6-783A-4507-A6F2-FFABD64C2435.jpeg

0B81DFAF-50C0-47FB-B869-2899579E7C00.jpeg

The Camel Adv gut guard fit up splendidly. The rear bracket AND the UHMW extending under the suspension link clenched the deal. Take a bow. 

• Like 2