Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Any Canadians with Rally Raid suspension?

williestreet

I am looking at getting some parts from Rally Raid and was curious if any Canadians have purchased any of their products.

Currently their website shows UPS is used for shipping to Canada.   Past experience has UPS screwing us with bs brokerage fees when stuff comes from the USA.  I have no issue with Rally raid prices but was curious if others here have been screwed with extra charges from UPS upon delivery.

Thanks.

Edited by williestreet

Did you try calling them to see if they will do USPS.

I don't deal with companies outside Canada that only ship via UPS, for the reasons you have stated.

When we could cross the border I would do UPS the a motle in Idaho or a mail drop in Sweetgrass.

32 minutes ago, Bighopper said:

Did you try calling them to see if they will do USPS.

I don't deal with companies outside Canada that only ship via UPS, for the reasons you have stated.

When we could cross the border I would do UPS the a motle in Idaho or a mail drop in Sweetgrass.

They are in the UK, so it would be Royal Mail I guess.  

Haven't contacted them yet, just going off their website delivery options, which only allows UPS for Canadian deliveries.  

36 minutes ago, Insane rider said:

I had to pay 85$ extra for 2 rear racks

Do you remember was that tax or brokerage fees?  

Thanks.

UPS charged me $15.00 for the brokerage fee and collected the $135 GST and customs for about $1000 of Rally Raid parts. That brokerage fee seemed like a bargain!

Edited by Uncle M

I have a set of 35mm open cartridge fork internals and a rear spring on order. Supposed to be shipping this week. I guess time will tell...

Shipping has been a gong show since before X-mas regardless of company. Waiting for 2 out of 17 boxes (other 15 are here) coming from NZ via FEDEX for over 2 weeks now. Typical air freight is 3 days including customs. Had a bunch of trouble with USPS in November as well. Surprisingly Canada Post is on their game (for me anyway...)

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

You also don't need to use UPS as your brokerage firm. There are many companies that broker imports. The only trade-off is paperwork delays between the shipper, UPS and the broker.

• 1 month later...

Fork kit arrived yesterday. Left the UK on Monday. 4 days door to door. UPS charged $15 CAD for brokerage, GST was $56. Pretty good service if you ask me!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Hoping to bump this topic up. I'm in the GTA and want to order the shock spring. Any North American vendors or similar springs from other manufacturers?

27 minutes ago, TexasT700 said:

Where is GTA?

All I find is Grand Theft Auto😄

Greater Toronto Area.

5 hours ago, KidX said:

Hoping to bump this topic up. I'm in the GTA and want to order the shock spring. Any North American vendors or similar springs from other manufacturers?

Stadium suspension in Montreal sells springs.  My understanding is they get their springs made locally in quebec. 

They were out of stock when I tried to get one last year, so I went through Bayside performance in Vancouver to get a Ktech spring. 

Give them a call they might have stock now. 

Edited by williestreet

11 minutes ago, williestreet said:

Stadium suspension in Montreal sells springs.  My understanding is they get their springs made locally in quebec. 

They were out of stock when I tried to get one last year, so I went through Bayside performance in Vancouver to get a Ktech spring. 

Give them a call they might have stock now. 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, KidX said:

Thanks!

When I spoke with them last winter they were not familiar with the Tenere and did not know the spring dimensions.

I would suggest you figure out what spring rate you need and have the spring dimensions as well in case they still do not have the T7 in their data base.

You need the spring ID, which is 55mm and the free length you want.  Stock is 240mm, but I think the spring they sell is 245mm which is ok as well as long as you account for this when selecting a spring rate.

I've got a rear spring and front adventure open cartridge set showing up tomorrow, shipped via UPS so far no fees but we'll see tomorrow. Shipping wasn't cheap at 180$ outside Vancouver but sent it to a friend in Vancouver and it was 130$.

Will update when I have them in hand.. 

Pretty stoked to get them installed! 

Edited by Fraz's T7
  • Like 1

Aaand the bill came this morning, $150 in brokerage fees🤦‍♂️. Just when I thought I was going to get away with it. Greasy UPS 

All goods imported into most countries are subject to that country's applicable tax (for Canada it is Federal GST or 5% + Provincial PST or 7% in BC) & excised duty if applicable (motorcycle parts/accessories are exempt from excise duty in Canada), regardless of carrier, unless the retailer is set up to remit the country of destinations tax directly (Twisted Throttle now does this for shipments from the US to Canada - a change they made when they merged their Canadian website into their US website in late 2020), which would eliminate the brokerage or processing fee, which typically falls in the 5% to 10% range of the value of the tax due.  My RR 35 mm Fork kit tax was $122.85 + $15 brokerage fee + $0.75 GST because it is a service...so UPS's fee for processing & remitting the tax was 8.19% + the governments 5% GST on $15. 

I think that some people lump the total money payable on importation of goods as "Brokerage fee" collected by the shipper vs separating the money into the tax component, excise duty if applicable & brokerage fees...which leads some to get upset over what they perceive as exorbitant brokerage fees...when in reality between 90%-95% of the cost is the Federal & Provincial/State tax + excise duty if applicable...the shipper is providing a service on your behalf & deserves to charge for it & imho 5-10% is reasonable.  Depending on the shipper, some, including UPS if they have your email registered with them, will invoice you electronically via email, 1 or 2 days prior to actual delivery, offering a 5% discount for prepaid taxes...this may depend on if the retailer provides your email or if you have an account set up with the shipper.  

• Like 2

UPS is the worst for brokerage fees, yes I know there are, duties, taxes, etc, but they have ridiculous stand alone brokerage fees from the US, not sure about overseas, but from the States its insane, when compared to USPS.

The only caveat here is that I gave up on them years ago and wouldn't buy from anyone that would only ship ups, maybe they've got generous, lol , but I doubt it.

21 hours ago, prowlnS10 said:

All goods imported into most countries are subject to that country's applicable tax (for Canada it is Federal GST or 5% + Provincial PST or 7% in BC) & excised duty if applicable (motorcycle parts/accessories are exempt from excise duty in Canada), regardless of carrier, unless the retailer is set up to remit the country of destinations tax directly (Twisted Throttle now does this for shipments from the US to Canada - a change they made when they merged their Canadian website into their US website in late 2020), which would eliminate the brokerage or processing fee, which typically falls in the 5% to 10% range of the value of the tax due.  My RR 35 mm Fork kit tax was $122.85 + $15 brokerage fee + $0.75 GST because it is a service...so UPS's fee for processing & remitting the tax was 8.19% + the governments 5% GST on $15. 

I think that some people lump the total money payable on importation of goods as "Brokerage fee" collected by the shipper vs separating the money into the tax component, excise duty if applicable & brokerage fees...which leads some to get upset over what they perceive as exorbitant brokerage fees...when in reality between 90%-95% of the cost is the Federal & Provincial/State tax + excise duty if applicable...the shipper is providing a service on your behalf & deserves to charge for it & imho 5-10% is reasonable.  Depending on the shipper, some, including UPS if they have your email registered with them, will invoice you electronically via email, 1 or 2 days prior to actual delivery, offering a 5% discount for prepaid taxes...this may depend on if the retailer provides your email or if you have an account set up with the shipper.  

Ya that's fair, I did the calculations last night and realized just that. RR never charged me tax and that the "brokerage" cost was just tax. So in the end its pretty fair. I'll be on the bike in a couple of hours and will forget all about it haha.