Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Euro 5 concerns

chris94

Question

I currently have a T7 Rally edition on order, expected delivery in april/march. The more I read about the Euro 5 compliant engines, the more concerned I get. Has anyone received their Euro 5 model and had any issues with modifications like aftermarket headers? The upgraded engine guard is advertised as stock on the Rally edition, but the OEM part currently available for order is not compatible with the Euro 5 models. Yamaha won't answer whether the engine guard is a new version, or the Rally edition is delivered with the older headers.
The dealer also has a red/white 2020 model on hand, and I've been quoted about the same price with Akra slip-on, upgraded engine guard, radiator guard, rally seat and LED blinkers. I can't make up my mind, any input greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

No much info for instance specially for Rally edition. None have been shipped yet. I think the deliveries start only from May.

I am pretty sure they will design e new skidplate. On Rally edition it is installed from factory so there is no way you get something you can't assemble.
I don't think anyone on this forum has received the Euro5 model yet.

Check the existing Euro5 thread:

• Like 1

From pictures online the euro 5 headers is going to be different as there is another cat in there so I presume they are making room to clear engine and auxiliaries. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

I am still waiting for my EU5 but delivery has been postponed twice 😞 Unfortunately my dealer had no EU4 which I would prefer. On the other hand selling an EU4 in a few years will reduce the price as everyone would prefer the EU5.

At least it seems to be possible to replace the EU5 header and catalyst with race header or even an EU4 one without the ECU  going mad. On YT there is a guy who replaced the EU5 header on a MT07 which has the same engine and probably electronics. He is currently investigating how he can richen up the mixture....

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I am still waiting for my EU5 but delivery has been postponed twice 😞 Unfortunately my dealer had no EU4 which I would prefer. On the other hand selling an EU4 in a few years will reduce the price as everyone would prefer the EU5.

At least it seems to be possible to replace the EU5 header and catalyst with race header or even an EU4 one without the ECU  going mad. On YT there is a guy who replaced the EU5 header on a MT07 which has the same engine and probably electronics. He is currently investigating how he can richen up the mixture....

This is the same info that I've gotten from my dealer. Got my T7 a couple of weeks ago and are gonna order a Euro4 header and test as well :)

1 minute ago, SimplyDan said:

This is the same info that I've gotten from my dealer. Got my T7 a couple of weeks ago and are gonna order a Euro4 header and test as well 🙂

Sounds good! Would you mind posting your experiences here please?

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Sounds good! Would you mind posting your experiences here please?

Absolutely, I'll keep you guys updated 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SimplyDan said:

Absolutely, I'll keep you guys updated 🙂

That's great, Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

On the other hand selling an EU4 in a few years will reduce the price as everyone would prefer the EU5.

Why do you think EU5 bike will be prefered? EU4 looks like a more simple bike..

26 minutes ago, Wizna said:

I don't know in other countries but in France in some cities like Paris you can't drive/ride vehicles that are some level of Euro certification. In Toulouse where I live it is only limited to days with high air pollution. But it is certain in few years Euro4 bikes will have same limitation.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Wizna said:

Buyers always want the newest specs. An EU 4 you cannot sell as a 2021 bike as everyone knows that 2021 bikes are EU5. In the future lower than EU4 specced vehicles will be banned from cities on certain days or when pollution exceeds a limit. Exactly like Didier said. I guess that is something that will not only happen in Paris and Vienna.... They already have quite some restrictions in Germany.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, snod said:

Will the 2021 bikes coming to the states be euro 5 ?

I don't think so. It looks like only europe has an aditional catalithic converter. Tenere was lunched this year in some new countries like South Africa, Morocco, Malasia and all videos I have seen have no catalytic converter. By the way US version is buillt in Japan (mayby I am wrong?) and European version is built in France. So probably you wont see it in US.

Yesterday I saw a Euro5 header for the first time. It looks a bit weird. technicians told me the only reason why the catalytic converter is a bit bigger and closer to the cylinder outlet is that Eur5-specs require it to warm up faster. So once the engine has warmed up it isn't any better than Euro4 version in terms of pollution.

Have a look here, the guy replaces the Euro5 header with a race header, only problem the new O2 sensor has a shorter wiring than the Euro4 version...

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 9:24 AM, snod said:

Will the 2021 bikes coming to the states be euro 5 ?

My guess would be that Yamaha wouldn't change the model in mid/end of cycle, as the 2021 has been around since middle of 2020, but that we will see the euro5 version as a 2022 model, sometime in summer. (We are seeing the euro5 version of the mt-07 as a 2021 model, so these changes don't seem exclusive to the European market)

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yesterday I saw a Euro5 header for the first time. It looks a bit weird. technicians told me the only reason why the catalytic converter is a bit bigger and closer to the cylinder outlet is that Eur5-specs require it to warm up faster. So once the engine has warmed up it isn't any better than Euro4 version in terms of pollution.

Have a look here, the guy replaces the Euro5 header with a race header, only problem the new O2 sensor has a shorter wiring than the Euro4 version...

And as you can see in the comments the guys at black widow are already working on an extender to be sold by them 👍

• Like 2