Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Solid lift option for rear

dashredder

Hi!

Going to be swapping out the rear spring on my T7 and I don’t yet have a center stand.  Has anyone “jacked” the bike up from under the frame?   And if so, was it stable enough to pull a shock and leave it a day or so to get the spring swapped?  

Seems the exhaust travels below the frame rails so I’d guess we have to leave the bash plate on to do it or fashion some sort of base.  Could use a few wood blocks but that’s not ideal for sturdiness.   

Any experience or suggestions on setting up the bike to pull the shock? 

This was beaten to death elsewhere on this forum. I think the consensus was to put a bar horizontally through the bike and hang it from some sturdy structure above the bike. My personal bike sits on a cradle stand (with floor rollers) all the time using the Outback Motortek skid plate as the base, but if you don't have the sturdy skid plate, the hanging option is probably best.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

I changed mine without a stand. Cable tie the front brake one.

then on the right hand side i used a trolley jack wedged against the sump guard bolt.to be fair it was pretty sturdy!

• Like 1

What he said 🙄.

Another tip, get your nuts all loose before hanging it from the rafters. Reinstall ,put it back on the ground ; then torque the fasteners.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info all.  I pulled the stock bash plate and used a couple of blocks along the frame.  Worked but seemed to want to lift the front too much for comfort. I’m going to try that hang option with the front on a pit bull. 

9 hours ago, gone2seed said:

What he said 🙄.

Another tip, get your nuts all loose before hanging it from the rafters. Reinstall ,put it back on the ground ; then torque the fasteners.

Don't tempt me with a good time...

• Like 1