Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

suspension for a big fella

bigsky

Hello all.  After selling my Funduro 650 I'm going to buy a T7.  I weigh 270 lbs and am looking for tips on suspension.  I will also be set up full for touring/camping.  Outback Motortek pannier rack, rotopax 1 gal tank, 35 litre dry duffel, touratech 31 and 38 litre alum panniers.  Plus the weight of camping gear.  Will the stock rear suspension be enough?  Should I just plan on upgrading?  If so...what do you suggest. I would think the front suspension would be ok but the rear is what I'll need to upgrade maybe.  I don't plan on super aggressive riding forest service roads mostly .  Thanks!

20 minutes ago, bigsky said:

Hello all.  After selling my Funduro 650 I'm going to buy a T7.  I weigh 270 lbs and am looking for tips on suspension.  I will also be set up full for touring/camping.  Outback Motortek pannier rack, rotopax 1 gal tank, 35 litre dry duffel, touratech 31 and 38 litre alum panniers.  Plus the weight of camping gear.  Will the stock rear suspension be enough?  Should I just plan on upgrading?  If so...what do you suggest. I would think the front suspension would be ok but the rear is what I'll need to upgrade maybe.  I don't plan on super aggressive riding forest service roads mostly .  Thanks!

I weigh 260 and am waiting on @Stoltec Moto to do his bike up and then release his suspension kits. I own other Yamaha forums, his stuff will be good. 

Hi, I weigh about the same as you and standard suspension, especially the rear  is not up to it. Then when you add the luggage 🤭 hell no! 

• Supporting Vendor
6 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I weigh 260 and am waiting on @Stoltec Moto to do his bike up and then release his suspension kits. I own other Yamaha forums, his stuff will be good. 

Teaser...😀

image002.jpg.3f3bfa162ad7fe2e876e7b522e7743d3.jpg

image001.jpg.05081e58732631b4b6fb929920bfc487.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

961362084_468x60Stoltec.png.007fa8bc922e0e30cea1cde037ff2aa2.png

stoltecmoto.com | 610.252.7232

The Stoltec Moto Build Thread

On 3/19/2021 at 1:20 AM, Louis said:

Hi, I weigh about the same as you and standard suspension, especially the rear  is not up to it. Then when you add the luggage 🤭 hell no! 

Louis --- Thanks for the reply.  What did you do to upgrade the rear?  Did you do anything to the front?  

@bigskyat this stage I have only installed a heavier rear spring. Nothing to the front yet. I am an older rider who has tired body and I don't ride aggressivly. But I am  considering heavier front springs. The T7 is still a relatively new bike  so  looking for the aftermarket accessories industry catching up for different options. Remember postage to Australia sometimes means uneconomic selection. 

I weigh 233 without gear... And I've done the rear spring and heavier front spring... Front feels great, the rear for 90 percent of the time feels good just the odd occasion where I'm pushing hard on uneven pavement that there is a small wobble... I'm in supermoto trim and don't use it for off road... Will consider a nitron shock soon. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 12:20 AM, Louis said:

@bigskyat this stage I have only installed a heavier rear spring. Nothing to the front yet. I am an older rider who has tired body and I don't ride aggressivly. But I am  considering heavier front springs. The T7 is still a relatively new bike  so  looking for the aftermarket accessories industry catching up for different options. Remember postage to Australia sometimes means uneconomic selection. 

What spring did you go with ?

what spring did you use?  Did it make the difference you wanted?  

@bigskyI purchased  an Eibach shock spring 9.5kg/mm spring from  an Australian supplier. It was the  heaviest that was available.  I found it just OK for setting static sag, without luggage. So it was  a bit soft with  luggage! I don't ride aggressive due to an ageing body, but I travel light with luggage. 

You described the type of luggage you intend to use whilst good gear, way too much additional weight before you pack it full. Especially if you're a heavier  rider like me for the T7. My opinion only. I'm still considering further suspension upgrades both front and rear. Just not fully satisfied yet. But the minimum upgrade SHOULD be advisable is the  heaviest rear spring you can find. Perhaps rethink the type of luggage system you intend using also. I'm using soft luggage. Total weight of loaded luggage is about 20kg.

20200430_091032.jpg

Edited by Louis
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Louis said:

@bigskyI purchased  an Eibach shock spring 9.5kg/mm spring from  an Australian supplier. It was the  heaviest that was available.  I found it just OK for setting static sag, without luggage. So it was  a bit soft with  luggage! I don't ride aggressive due to an ageing body, but I travel light with luggage. 

You described the type of luggage you intend to use whilst good gear, way too much additional weight before you pack it full. Especially if you're a heavier  rider like me for the T7. My opinion only. I'm still considering further suspension upgrades both front and rear. Just not fully satisfied yet. But the minimum upgrade SHOULD be advisable is the  heaviest rear spring you can find. Perhaps rethink the type of luggage system you intend using also. I'm using soft luggage. Total weight of loaded luggage is about 20kg.

20200430_091032.jpg

i decided to go with the mosko moto soft adventure panniers.  They are a little lighter than alum but not much.  I plan on doing one and two night trips so I will have gear weight for sure.  All of my camping gear is light and minimal though perfect for motorcycle camping.  I need to figure this suspension stuff out.  

11 hours ago, w_popov said:

The spring come with the spacer or not?

Yes, I thought that was odd. Hence why I am considering other options. I felt it wasn't T7 specific, just adapted to suit with a spacer. I  find it's fine  for the type of riding I am capable of. No bottoming out that is.

4 hours ago, bigsky said:

i decided to go with the mosko moto soft adventure panniers.  They are a little lighter than alum but not much.  I plan on doing one and two night trips so I will have gear weight for sure.  All of my camping gear is light and minimal though perfect for motorcycle camping.  I need to figure this suspension stuff out.  

I have a BMW F700 GS (recently purchased) with Vario expanding plastic panniers which I thought was a bonus. Unbelievably each pannier weights in at 7.5kg or 15 kg together! 33lbs in caveman units. Not to forget the the racks weight....... 😬

I was going to try them a few weeks ago that's when I thought that they were heavy, unexpanded it would have only fitted the contents of my duffel "home" bag which in total weight is 9.2 kg. Contains tent,sleeping bag, air mattress,pillow, cheap plastic tarp, axe/hammer and slip on leather shoes. Expanded I would have needed  "wide load" signs! 

The panniers alone weighing more than 50% of my Home bag!! Most riders just don't expect nor consider the weight of luggage systems. 

16165388177314248411743892248578.jpg

• Like 1

The rear suspension is sufficient for your weight. The rear spring from the factory is set up for 160 pounds riders. Yamaha factory suspension are excellent and no need to change the valving or shock. You need to replace the rear spring and front springs with heavier ones for your weight and the suspension settings adjusted. 

Racetech is excellent and here is their website which has pricing and spring rate calculator. 
https://racetech.com/VehicleSearch

Louis -- What rear spring did you go with -- Thanks

1 hour ago, bigsky said:

Louis -- What rear spring did you go with -- Thanks

As above 9.5kg/mm just adequate to achieve correct static sag. 

39 minutes ago, Louis said:

As above 9.5kg/mm just adequate to achieve correct static sag. 

thank you...