Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

F800gs vs T700

toughmudder

Is there anybody who rode both?  I think those 2 bike are close. They both have the same wheel diameter, similar suspension travel, similar weight, similar power. I would like to hear from people comparing these 2 bikes. I am thinking to buy a bike like to do some trip with my girlfriend.  I can buy brand new T700 or used F800 for half of the price.  Thanks

I'm biased here as I owned bmw before and they have let me down from a reliability point of view... Find a T700 and be amazed at how good the bike is with a great engine... 👍🏼 

Hi Toughmudder! I own a F800 and a T7.  The T7 is by far my favorite. The only thing I miss about my F800 is the Tractive suspension I fitted and the heated grips. Both things I will eventually address on the T7. 
Your plans to travel two up definitely makes it a bit more challenging to choose. My wife and I spent time on the F800 and with the stock suspension it was terrible off-road and not great on road. Preload full and it was still like a marshmallow and we bottomed out often. The custom suspension made a big difference but at substantial cost. The T7 is still new to the stable and I cannot comment on extensive riding two up with luggage. It was a bit of a selfish purchase as I plan to travel alone on the T7. 
The F800 is more work off-road and to me feels substantially more too heavy regardless what the specs say. I will take on way more technical stuff on the T7 with confidence compared to the F800. There is definitely not a shortage of information or opinions out there for you to filter through. Regardless, any bike can  get you out there and take you places. If you can, get a test ride on what you are interested in. Do this even if you have to mission around some. Good luck! 

Ambiguous question , riding 2 up on what? I have a F700 GS and a T7  I  think 2 up the F700/800 would be more  comfortable. You will need to upgrade the suspension on both bikes  to suit the load. It depends on what road surfaces you intend to ride. T7 is better off road, not sure how it works 2 up.

If you're thinking about just riding tar and gravel, the F700GS should also be on your radar,  it's lower and easier to handle. Being lower makes it easier to handle especially 2 up. With the money you save could go towards suspension and luggage. 

• Like 1

Here is a pic of my wife and I in Montenegro on the F800. I also altered the seat so that the pillion would be a bit higher and able to look over my helmet instead of peeking around the side. 

2CE877E2-A7B5-45F3-8C67-88A6A2EA608F.jpeg

• Like 1