Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T700 velocity stacks and Ram Air Filter

Aleksandar13

Hi all, 

Decided to bight the bullet create something special for the T700Sm... I will run a setup that has been used on the mt07 for some time and makes more power than the usual lid and filter in the air box. 

I will be running velocity stacks with ram Air filter and remove the airbox... All parts are on order including the power vision 3 for flashing the ecu... 

The below setup has been dyno tested on the mt07 and it has some great gains. 

Excited for the power and the sound from the intake. 

Aleks 

Screenshot_20210322-195044.jpg

Screenshot_20210322-195039.jpg

Screenshot_20210322-194949.jpg

Screenshot_20210313-165505.jpg

• Like 5

• Aleksandar13 changed the title to T700 velocity stacks and Ram Air Filter
  • Moderators

Nothing better than intake noise. Keep us posted!

• Like 3

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

1 hour ago, tenerecanada said:

All parts are here, I'm waiting on the Pv3 next week and hopefully end of next week I'll have everything installed. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, tenerecanada said:

Agreed, it was like music to our ears! Flipping the air cleaner lid on a 70's muscle car was the first mod we did in high school, giving us instant street cred! Hopefully Aleks can accomplish the same sound. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

2 hours ago, AZJW said:

Agreed, it was like music to our ears! Flipping the air cleaner lid on a 70's muscle car was the first mod we did in high school, giving us instant street cred! Hopefully Aleks can accomplish the same sound. 

I graduated highschool in 1976, so I know of what you speak. 45 years later, in my 60's, I like quiet motorcycles. With age comes wisdom....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I couldn't wait longer... Might finish tomorrow morning... 👍🏼 

IMG-20210327-WA0038.jpeg

IMG-20210327-WA0043.jpeg

IMG-20210327-WA0047.jpeg

• Like 1

Working through to get the mockup in and see how everything fits... So far so good... Fits nicely and you have access to ramair and the velocity stacks without lifting the tank... 

Very pleased with the result... Weight of the standard air box 1340gr...

I'll weigh the final setup of the new intake later but I'm sure it will be less than 300gr.

I've ordered new hoses with a larger diameter and they should be here next week, maybe tomorrow we can get the pv3 up and running and a test ride.... But this is a bit optimistic... 😂

Keen to hear the sound of the intake. 

Aleks 

IMG_20210327_190403.jpg

IMG_20210327_190305.jpg

IMG-20210327-WA0049.jpeg

• Like 4

Managed to get the bike back together and started... Sounds is deep and awesome... Exciting times for me 😀... 

Power vision linked to the bike and its all fine with no issues... Some pictures of how the filter fits in the bike and how much room there is now even with the Canister in place... The good thing is that the filter is not seen from outside so it is a stealth setup... 

Now I'm waiting for the map to come through the email so that I can load it to the pv3 and test the bike. 

Reduction in weight is 1.4 kg from stock, with access to the filter from the side. 

Aleks 

IMG-20210328-WA0003.jpeg

IMG-20210328-WA0007.jpeg

IMG-20210328-WA0014.jpeg

• Like 3

I am curious to see what happens to your fuel consumption. Mine went up from 4.7L/100km to 6.3L/100km with the PV3 map #10 (no intake snorkel, foam filter, aftermarket slip on and stock headers)...

It ran really rich as my riding buddies commented how much smoke was coming behind me once I flashed it.

The Dynojet Core SW that you get for modifying maps is so complex and does not use standard methods for adjusting like AFR and injector pulse timings that it's too much for me to comprehend and adjust the map myself...

Edited by Spuzvica
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spuzvica said:

I am curious to see what happens to your fuel consumption. Mine went up from 4.7L/100km to 6.3L/100km with the PV3 map #10 (no intake snorkel, foam filter, aftermarket slip on and stock headers)...

It ran really rich as my riding buddies commented how much smoke was coming behind me once I flashed it.

The Dynojet Core SW that you get for modifying maps is so complex and does not use standard methods for adjusting like AFR and injector pulse timings that it's too much for me to comprehend and adjust the map myself...

This sounds way off & is precisely why I paid experienced professionals to manage the tuning. Mileage has only increased by 0.2lt/100km since, bike runs great &, like me, doesn’t smoke.

Bike starts better, feels smooth and has less engine braking, fans come in around 106 and there is less deceleration pop.
Once you ride for a few miles you realise how good the fueling is in the low to mid range and how much more grunt it has...Once the ignition map was loaded the bike felt even more keen to pull and the front feels very light in 2nd and 3d with the occasional small lift over uneven surfaces... Engine is responsive and with the quickshifter it just pulls and sounds fantastic. 
Tested this on the home route where I can go mad as I know it so well... Acceleration is much improved and I am reaching 10 miles per hour more in places and 15 more in others with brakes feeling weak now... The sound of the intake is absolutely addictive and it comes alive with full throttle and after 6k rpm... The way it pulls is so much better than stock not even worth comparing... At 7k there is a rush of power and it pulls hard up to 10k now, after 10k there is a slight dip and I think this is where the cat comes in place.
Amazing how much more torque there is and it feels like a different engine. My riding needs to be readjusted to suit the more torque, I found myself braking harder and later as before because the bike was gaining more speed than I was expecting in the same amount of time on acceleration between corners.
Really happy with the map that Andy has made. He is not on this forum but owns an mt07 with the same intake, I thank him for the information and help provided. Without him this could have not been the first t7 with velocity stacks 🤔💯🇯🇵🏍️
Can't wait for the Beringer and the headers next.

I'm not worried about fuel consumption, it is a toy for me and my passion and I'm happy to pay a premium for this. 

IMG_20210328_125119.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

All right I'm going to comment on this. I do have a lot of experience with injection. Any one else thinking to do this first consider why you bought the T7. If you are going to use it on trails as a ADV Rider bike its best not to touch the inlet tract. The filter doesn't matter except foam is much better in dirt. Like any enduro bike has. The snorkel plays an important part in fuel injection. It's a tuned part of your induction. The air box also has a designed "still air box" The speed the air reaches, velocity, is the speed it enters your throttle bodies. It was always be controlled by the butterfly's but it has momentum. It does not matter how big your airbox is the speed it goes in is the speed it comes out. You don't have a venturi like I have on my 950 KTM. My FCR's narrow the air into a funnel and it picks up fuel as it passes. The air filter on my 950 effects the air fuel ratio. Non of this applies to injection. You rely on velocity of air entering the air box. The velocity of this air assists to better atomize your fuel as it goes into the cylinder. This is where power is made. A better complete mix helps flame front propagation a better burn more power. So ..... Like all things with motors it works better in a certain area. The MT is a street bike and its design is different from an ADV bike. A good way to test this stuff is with a injected 250 and a long hill. 

One problem with injectors is duty cycle. So usually Duty Cycle is limited to say 70% at WOT. That's 70% of 720 degrease of rotation. You inlet is open for say 25% of rotation. That a lot of spraying fuel into still air and closed valves. That why you need air velocity. I always think if you want a sports bike buy one. I did. I have my 950 LC8 KTM and a 1199 Ducati Panigale Best of both worlds. There is nothing wrong with making your bike an MT but to get something you loose something. And you still don't have the cam timing unless you change them. I have been down this road also. I'm K2m on ADV Rider and my 950 has FCR's, SD cams .... Wideband tuned, Extractors (Africa Queens) I copied them as I weld. The money spending never ends. I came out of school in 1972 and worked for Suzuki 2T GT ram air range, Waterbottle, Yamaha RD & DT's ..... Ford's, Layland's and 49 years riding next month. On Any Sunday hit Sydney at the same time I started riding. Addicted for life.

The WR450 is a classic example of how to stuff a good bike up. They remove the plate with the kettle in the airbox and spend a fortune trying to get it to run right. That plate has openings around the outside that increases velocity. Look at the airfilter they use in World SBK. Its a MWR. It has a plate to create a still air box and you can tune it by tightening the springs as the air coming in must travel around the plate ..... Creating velocity. Google MWR Ducati check it out. 

The WR450 is well described in this uTube Start 5min 30 second .... He sums it up by stuffing a bit of Moose tube into block the one side inlet which doubles the speed air goes in on the other side ..... That's the velocity I'm talking about. He is one of Australia's best. Many Golds in the ISDE on Maico's   Of course they removed the plate and kettle. Enjoy 🙂 

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

I like all creative efforts that increase horsepower, torque and efficiency. It appears that duty cycle of the stock CP2 injectors is not a problem up to about 100 hp. Tenere's longer velocity stacks are designed for bottom end torque. That's why the engine runs out of breath above 7000rpm.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@Yoshi I've never read about someone having changed a cam. You can find pictures of CP2's with a turbo though... 

• 7 months later...
On 2/12/2023 at 11:00 AM, Motodude said:

I like all creative efforts that increase horsepower, torque and efficiency. It appears that duty cycle of the stock CP2 injectors is not a problem up to about 100 hp. Tenere's longer velocity stacks are designed for bottom end torque. That's why the engine runs out of breath above 7000rpm.

Not with fill exhaust and flash. Max power is around 9300.