Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

rear duffel

bigsky

wondering what you all are using or like in rear waterproof duffels.  I plan on doing a lot of 2 night camping trips and need more luggage aside from my 35L mosko moto panniers.  I'm thinking something between 35L and 50 L.  Thanks

I use a dry bag on occasion.  You can get them in various sizes.  I see everyone makes them.  I have Ortlieb brand dry bags.  But sadly they don't make the style I have any longer.  This link will give you an idea hopefully.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Landshark said:

I use a dry bag on occasion.  You can get them in various sizes.  I see everyone makes them.  I have Ortlieb brand dry bags.  But sadly they don't make the style I have any longer.  This link will give you an idea hopefully.  

I believe the Ortlieb bags are now sold and marked as Touratech.

I have had an 80 lt Ortlieb for 20 years and has seen a lot of use and abuse and is still going strong.

It was definitely worth the high price.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bigsky said:

wondering what you all are using or like in rear waterproof duffels.  I plan on doing a lot of 2 night camping trips and need more luggage aside from my 35L mosko moto panniers.  I'm thinking something between 35L and 50 L.  Thanks

Are you using a rear rack?  I have the 35L dry bag from SW-Motech that I've taken on several multi-day trips.  It fits a lot of gear, the roll top cinches down tight to keep everything watertight, and the securing straps keep it strapped tight to the bike as long as you have good mounting points.  I've been very happy with this bag.  I ended up buying the smaller 18L as well for those shorter trips when I don't need to carry as much.  In addition to whatever rear duffel I'm using, I also have the Nelson-Rigg Adventure dry saddlebags, which are about 27 liters each. 

swmotech_bags_connection_drybag35035_lit

An SW-MOTECH Roll-Top Dry Bag is super easy to load thanks to its wide-mouth opening. Just cram everything in and fold the top over a few times. The t…

Edited by Seventh Son
  • Like 1

Do these bags typically have a harder supportive bottom so they don't drape over the bike? Or do you have to have a large rack to put them on to prevent that? 

55 minutes ago, DT675 said:

Do these bags typically have a harder supportive bottom so they don't drape over the bike? Or do you have to have a large rack to put them on to prevent that? 

They do not, they sag all over the place.

2 hours ago, Seventh Son said:

Are you using a rear rack?  I have the 35L dry bag from SW-Motech that I've taken on several multi-day trips.  It fits a lot of gear, the roll top cinches down tight to keep everything watertight, and the securing straps keep it strapped tight to the bike as long as you have good mounting points.  I've been very happy with this bag.  I ended up buying the smaller 18L as well for those shorter trips when I don't need to carry as much.  In addition to whatever rear duffel I'm using, I also have the Nelson-Rigg Adventure dry saddlebags, which are about 27 liters each. 

An SW-MOTECH Roll-Top Dry Bag is super easy to load thanks to its wide-mouth opening. Just cram everything in and fold the top over a few times. The t

thanks for the reply.  I will have a outback mototek rear rack.  Coupled with mosko soft panniers in 35 L  .  I will look at the SW motech bag.

• Like 1

I use a 66 litre bag yes 66! I don't fill it up though, the first rule of camping gear is it expands at least 10% after use! So it always feels like you're bringing home more than you took. The bag is from Amazon it's Wild  Heart branded. It features an air valve which allows excess air out. The  bag DOESN'T SAG because of the way it is packaged. I  have provided a YouTube link, this guy rumbles on a bit  but very informative! I also pack in a pair of leather slip on shoes, so when it's time to set up camp off with riding boots. Total weight 9.2 kg.

Edit, I use the bag for ALL  my riding gear after camp is set up, it's got a zip up top. It effectively is a  waterproof wardrobe. So 66 litre is a great size. 

16165567096656681600351723867016.jpg

Edited by Louis
Extra information
  • Like 2

Lomo 40L dry bag at 26 GBP. 30L en 60L also available.

Used it during a 6 month trip on my Husqy through the middle east, Russia and Scandinavia and very happy with how it performed. Stayed bone dry even in the torrential rains we encountered in Karelia and Norway

40L-Dry-Bag-Holdall-Black-1.jpg

Our 40L Dry Bag Holdall features a wide top opening, which allows easy access to your gear, and a roll closure to ensure it stays dry. Constructed using durable waterproof material and RF-welded seams, the holdall is strong...

• Like 2

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

Here's the 35L SW-Motech duffel loaded up on my bike.  In this pic I didn't yet have a rear rack, so it sat on top of the seat as well as the two saddlebags.  With the saddelbags on, a duffel is not going to sag since it has nowhere to sag to.  The duffel didn't move at all in over 700 miles of the NEBDR ride.  Some of the other bags shown above look to be similar in function.

This setup allowed me to carry a tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, lots of clothes (many of which I never used), moto tools, a hatchet, food, extra gloves, a rain jacket, extra straps.  More than enough room for everything and then some.

RR soft luggage racks-1.jpg

Edited by Seventh Son
  • Like 2

On 3/23/2021 at 6:21 PM, Seventh Son said:

An SW-MOTECH Roll-Top Dry Bag is super easy to load thanks to its wide-mouth opening. Just cram everything in and fold the top over a few times. The t…

I will be using a rear rack...thanks for your reply

• 4 weeks later...

@seventh son 

It will sound like a contradiction when I mention that I want to go rackless for luggage, but really like those small protective racks you put on the rear (maybe to protect plastic, muffler or add additional strength), what are they?

I have a tusk rear rack, so am thinking with longer bolts, those might simply go over them ( The adv spec ones seem a bit too big? and pricey for a small added strength for rackless bags.)  Seems like someone might fabricate something small and easy for that.  Thanks. 

On 3/24/2021 at 6:18 AM, Seventh Son said:

Here's the 35L SW-Motech duffel loaded up on my bike.  In this pic I didn't yet have a rear rack, so it sat on top of the seat as well as the two saddlebags.  With the saddelbags on, a duffel is not going to sag since it has nowhere to sag to.  The duffel didn't move at all in over 700 miles of the NEBDR ride.  Some of the other bags shown above look to be similar in function.

This setup allowed me to carry a tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, lots of clothes (many of which I never used), moto tools, a hatchet, food, extra gloves, a rain jacket, extra straps.  More than enough room for everything and then some.

How do you keep the hatchet, so its not poking holes through things? 

I use a Wolfman dry bag along with a big tank bag, its typically enough. Thats why I always put a rack on whatever new bike I get. Currently running the SW Motech Evo GS bag on the T7, its the biggest tank bag they make.

1385204_10201572495905735_1129030913_n.jpg

1395781_10201600729131548_142930525_n.jpg

13900157_10208847784663407_2835686056098878305_n.jpg

1 hour ago, DT675 said:

How do you keep the hatchet, so its not poking holes through things? 

It came with one of those plastic covers for the blade.  I just packed it at the bottom of the bag.

hatchet.jpg

• Like 1

One bag for it all.

0120212116.thumb.jpg.178bba2994e81823cfda0d2e37600de4.jpg0120211657c.thumb.jpg.622b1fdaded17689eb4cdf7aa5531679.jpg0120211659.thumb.jpg.e1cd723d3f1f6e73491e0b8730cef5c8.jpg0120211659_Burst01.thumb.jpg.7fa4498c241e51fedb82b75c03659e64.jpg

• Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

I have the same Mosko bags  with the Outback racks. For the last six months I have been using the Giant loop Tillamook 48 liter bag and it works perfect for me.  Double ended roll closures with multiple ways to mount. Never had any issues with this bag.