Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Turn signal indicator on dash

JayD

Hello!

First ride of the year today, and first ride with a gazillion of upgrades. All went well, but I noticed that when I turn on my new LED turn signals (also installed a relay), the turn light indicator on the dash lags a bit. At first it comes on, but instead of turning off between blinks, it fades in a lagging manner, before repeat.

Has anyone experienced this?

By the way, look at this beauty. The Huzar exhaust without baffle in sounded amazing!

E52099F7-A5E2-4495-A5BE-0BF02EA58B22.jpeg

Edited by JayD
  • Like 1

Yes, same with the LED relay swap rather than in line resistors. Still tells me the signals are working & that’s what counts.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BMRT7 said:

Fixed Rate Turn Signal Flasher

This will solve the problem. You can find cheaper china ones on amazon if you wish.

Thanks for your reply, but I already have a relay installed. The issue is not the blinkers going too fast, they work as they should, its the blinker indicator on the dash that behaves strange.

1 minute ago, JayD said:

Thanks for your reply, but I already have a relay installed. The issue is not the blinkers going too fast, they work as they should, its the blinker indicator on the dash that behaves strange.

Yeah when I installed LED signals the indicator on my dash would stay lit when the signals were on or stay lit but dim slightly instead of flash. The new relay solved the problem.

1 minute ago, BMRT7 said:

Yeah when I installed LED signals the indicator on my dash would stay lit when the signals were on or stay lit but dim slightly instead of flash. The new relay solved the problem.

Oh okay, thank you. I have a brand new relay from Off-the-road. I can live with it as long as its just that, and not an indicator that somethings wrong with the wiring.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I had the same issue as the OP. My dash lights stayed lit. I bit the bullet and bought the 12 O'clock Labs flasher relay after talking to them about it.

Well, not much better. The dash lights "blink" but at a slower and slightly off rate. Not really in sync with the actual turn signals.

Maybe I have some really low wattage turn signals? This is frustrating, and getting expensive.

16 minutes ago, Farscape said:

So, I had the same issue as the OP. My dash lights stayed lit. I bit the bullet and bought the 12 O'clock Labs flasher relay after talking to them about it.

Well, not much better. The dash lights "blink" but at a slower and slightly off rate. Not really in sync with the actual turn signals.

Maybe I have some really low wattage turn signals? This is frustrating, and getting expensive.

Any particular reason you care to have the dash light and signals perfectly in sync?

Seems like if they’re flashing and the dash is flashing you’re good, no?

Mine are still doing the same thing, but they all still work and I dont care about it anymore.

58 minutes ago, BMRT7 said:

Any particular reason you care to have the dash light and signals perfectly in sync?

Seems like if they’re flashing and the dash is flashing you’re good, no?

OCD I guess. I know it isn't "right".

I tested with putting one of my OEM turn signals on the right side and that side dash light flashes normally. Funny, the hazard lights flash all perfectly including the dash. It's just not enough resistance. I'm gonna get resistors for the front turn signals and it should all work as I'd like then. Hopefully.

1 minute ago, Farscape said:

I tested with putting one of my OEM turn signals on the right side and that side dash light flashes normally. Funny, the hazard lights flash all perfectly including the dash. It's just not enough resistance. I'm gonna get resistors for the front turn signals and it should all work as I'd like then. Hopefully.

Hey, I totally get the OCD- argument. I suffer from this at a high degree myself.

I hope you fix it and get some peace of mind 🙂

13 minutes ago, Farscape said:

Haha yeah that’s fair. Let us know if the resistors work out!

My dash indicator stays lit (solid) whenever I put my turn signals on, doesn't bother me in the least. The relay I bought is adjustable, haven't even bothered trying to adjust it, I'm happy with the rate.

Fix your bike's hyperflash or no flash problem with an easy to install, direct replacement, plug-and-play Gen2 LED Flasher Relay.

I've had the same issue, I installed 12 o'clock labs indicator lights in front and rear, installed the 12oc fix rate flasher the lights blink correctly at a slow rate but the dash light is almost steady . I picked up the Tst flasher, which now makes the flashers just sit static on. I haven't tried adjusting it yet. I'll try that next. I believe it may just be an issue with the lights being so low draw. 

• Like 1

Alright, after working with the 12O'clock Labs guy, sending video of the dash and turn signal stuff he was able to figure out what resistor I needed to make my dash lights and everything flash and be in sync! The resistors are tiny and don't even get hot. He wired it to plug right into my bullet connectors and I'm back in business!

My OCD is satisfied.

HUGE thank you to Brooks at 12O'clock Labs for taking the time to work this out and send me the resistors.

Jody.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No, I don't know the resistor information. He did say that the resistors he sent "basically mimic our LED signal load, those signals you have just draw a very abnormally low load for some reason." I guess I would say I have odd turn signals. The ones I bought were the "Crash Advantage" from ProCycle that I have used on other bikes. I may go to another turn signal because these are definitely not very bright out in the sun. But for now I'm rolling with these.

• 3 years later...

So I just started experiencing the same problem, and oddly only after I pressure washed the bike. I have LED blinkers, but with a LED relay, and they worked fine until I washed the bike. I'm wondering if there is moisture somewhere now.