Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New Handlebars plus Barkbusters

JimmyTheHuman

For those who changed bars, and have the barkbusters designed for the OEM bars;

1. Which bars did you buy?
  2. What did you buy to make the barkbusters work?
  3. What else did you have to do, eg new grips, throttle tubes?

many thanks

Hey Jimmy,

I used the OEM kit with a set of renthal twinwalls, and it was a massive PITA. I had to:

-Replace the screw in bar ends with some expander plug types (I used ones designed for acerbis handlebars)

-Drill the barkbuster 'spine' inboard mount hole about 2cm further in

-Cut down the stock grips to 'normal' size (120mm I think) - the stock grips were also a nightmare to remove without destroying them, I recommend just buying new ones.

I was able to use the barkbusters supplied bar end weights with this set up.

That said, the finished setup was tidy enough - pic attached.

Hope that helps!

Barkbusters pic.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for those details.

Is it easier to buy new generic et of bark busters and sell the tenere ones? or were able to buy just the expansion inserts?

I've got Fatbars on the way. Should be installing tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes. 

I reused my fasst flex bars and super tenere bark busters. I just had to account fir the fact I could not use the t7 bar end spacers bc of course Yamaha has to make a different design.  I just drilled another hole in the bark busters aluminum bar.

If you have a drill and the kind of bark busters with the clamps you should be able to fit them. Only problem will be if the bark busters clamps have a set angle to match the old bars. 

Mike

• Like 1

Renthal Fatbars mounted up perfectly (part no. 602-01). They came stock on my DRZ and took some serious beatings without any damage so I figured I'd get a set for the T7. Compared some measurements using Renthal's fitment guide and these came pretty close to all of the OEM bar measurements. I'm not tall so I didn't want any extra bar height. 

Tapping the bar-ends for the BarkBuster threaded inserts was a breeze - M16 x 1.5 tap centered itself nicely and cut relatively easily with the bars in a vise. With the Barkbuster bar-end weights and aluminum spacers all controls just fit before the bend with Oxford Adventure heated grips. The original bar-end bolts work but I had some longer ones so I put those in for more purchase. The tapered split clamps landed right where they needed to on the bar taper for a good, even, snug fit. Also they came with a cool bar pad which will be of no use but should add horsepower I believe...

Highly recommend these for anyone looking to replace OEM bars and want to use T7 specific BarkBuster set up. 

49591761_newbars3.thumb.jpg.8212482fcf02ef862442401681753cd7.jpg

1075432726_newbars4.thumb.jpg.96cd9fec5ca5de15019adb3efdf32f9a.jpg

1892504836_newbars2.thumb.jpg.f4a3da3718ac3ccc77889a0c6fe81b60.jpg

720454024_newbars1.thumb.jpg.22a110be03ab776eb4aefdca5218ff77.jpg

Edited by Samm
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Awesome. so they mount up straight into the old car clamps?

When you say you had to tap the thread, are you tapping the inside of the handlebar itself or there is an insert ready to be tapped or you stuffed the old insert in....i am not quite sure where you are tapping the thread. Did you already own the tap or did you buy specifically from barkbusters or something?

I dont have heated grips, but will upgrade to something more comfy than the OEM ones while i have it apart.

I think understanding the thread tapping is the main point for me now, i'll be ready to order.

6 hours ago, JimmyTheHuman said:

Awesome. so they mount up straight into the old car clamps?

When you say you had to tap the thread, are you tapping the inside of the handlebar itself or there is an insert ready to be tapped or you stuffed the old insert in....i am not quite sure where you are tapping the thread. Did you already own the tap or did you buy specifically from barkbusters or something?

I dont have heated grips, but will upgrade to something more comfy than the OEM ones while i have it apart.

I think understanding the thread tapping is the main point for me now, i'll be ready to order.

Yes, straight up mounting. The new bars have no threads for the BarkBuster threaded inserts so you need an M16 x 1.5 tap to cut your own threads into the holes in the ends of the bar. Very simple. You can buy the tap by itself or spend more and get a decent set so you can do other projects. 

• Like 1

Interesting, according to Renthals fitting guide part #825-50 is the suggested fat bar for the T700.  

Here it shows the 828-50 Street Low as the Fatbar replacement for OEM if I'm understanding that right...

Probably a decent fit too but the YZ bars were wider, spot on for height (Street Low are 8mm lower), and had more room for controls.

But wholly hell there's a silver pair for $50 on Fortnine, wish I had seen this when I was looking last week...

• 4 months later...
On 3/29/2021 at 7:57 PM, Samm said:

Renthal Fatbars mounted up perfectly (part no. 602-01). They came stock on my DRZ and took some serious beatings without any damage so I figured I'd get a set for the T7. Compared some measurements using Renthal's fitment guide and these came pretty close to all of the OEM bar measurements. I'm not tall so I didn't want any extra bar height. 

Tapping the bar-ends for the BarkBuster threaded inserts was a breeze - M16 x 1.5 tap centered itself nicely and cut relatively easily with the bars in a vise. With the Barkbuster bar-end weights and aluminum spacers all controls just fit before the bend with Oxford Adventure heated grips. The original bar-end bolts work but I had some longer ones so I put those in for more purchase. The tapered split clamps landed right where they needed to on the bar taper for a good, even, snug fit. Also they came with a cool bar pad which will be of no use but should add horsepower I believe...

Highly recommend these for anyone looking to replace OEM bars and want to use T7 specific BarkBuster set up. 

You know when you're trawling forums, hoping against hope that someone had done exactly what you need to do and has posted helpful pictures and clear explanations with part number. Well you are that man 🙂 I binned my T7 in some deep sand this week and bent the cheese OEM's. I'm running the bike specific BB's and want to keep them  - just like you have. Thank you very much sir!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/29/2021 at 8:57 PM, Samm said:

Thank you for that post. I first compared Renthal fatbars to the stock one on Renthal page. 602 seems like a very good choice. For me stock one has too little backsweep. Renthal 602 is a little wider and has a little more back sweep, for me it's ideal. I just needed to tap it with m16x1.5  and transplant went really good 🙂

IMG_4614.jpeg

• Like 2