Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Kinda excited after sending ECU to 2WheelDynoWorks.

Cruizin

It isn't an MT-10. I won't be picking up 16 HP after Exhaust, filter/ snorkel delete and Tune, but my engine will stop over heating on warm days as the fan will start coming  on before boils on the trails when the engine is working.. It will remove the harmful EPA lean emissions tune, especially after opening the airflow like I did,  this tune is required before I start riding up the rockies. It will remove the snatchy throttle and the fuel cut off when I release the throttle. 

Nels and Nate have been tuning the CP-2 engine since 2014, on my first forum fz07.org. No other Tuning shop in the world has tuned over a 1000 of these engines. And honestly, that number might be even way higher.  Most of em posted reviews on the FZ/MT forum and as that site's Admin/Owner, there were/are stellar reviews most all of em.  There are Yamaha dealers who send their new customers ECU's to Nels, seriously. Race teams, regular joes and some big names and brands use Nels and Nate. Ecu's coming in from around the world every day and thats just a part of what they do. 

I sent the ECU late Monday, 6 PM.  I think they got it this afternoon, haven't checked tracking yet.  I bet you i'll be riding my bike by Friday.

Ill be around 68-70 HP which is more than any dirtbike I've owned.  But the fueling/Air mixture will be perfect, engine temps not boiling anymore, Snatchy throttle gone and the intake/Wings exhaust will sound even sweeter. 

This is their Dyno result for the same exhaust that I have. 

932077686_Tenere700StockvStockTunedvMuff

Their tune is on sale, and I doubt they will have sales this summer as they literally spend every single summer day at the Track or in their very busy Dyno Shop.  Click below before sale ends. This summer there will probably be no sales because they spend literally every summer day either in the shop or at the track. 

ECU flashing is not only more cost effective than other tuning alternatives, but it is far superior because it also allows for more precise tuning of fuel maps which automatically compensate for changing atmospheric...

@2 Wheel DynoWorks

Cruizin,

Please do a complete evaluation write up of this when you get it back. I have been waiting for one ever since this came out. 

TIA

• Like 1

So just waiting for it to warm up a bit - Saturday will be the maiden ride with the 2WDW ECU, Camel Pipe, Uni-Filter, new ABS Rings (so speedo is correct) and 16T front sprocket. Will let all know if I went in the right direction.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

29 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

So just waiting for it to warm up a bit - Saturday will be the maiden ride with the 2WDW ECU, Camel Pipe, Uni-Filter, new ABS Rings (so speedo is correct) and 16T front sprocket. Will let all know if I went in the right direction.

As lean as the stock tune is already, by opening up our exhausts and air boxes, it would be dangerous to not at least adjust the fueling . The stock emissions  tune is that bad.

@Cruizin  My prior experience with Nels (as they are known here in WA) wasn't as stellar as yours, apparently.  I installed a full Leo Vance de-cat exhaust on my XSR700 and had Nels install a CP-2 flash that they insisted was based on a dyno tune with the exact same setup.  Me being a newbie to the world of reflashes I took their word for it.  What I ended up with was an undrivable bike that backfired horrendously.  They blamed a server problem and I sent my ECU back again (I live a few hours drive away).  The second flash was certainly much better than the first, but it wasn't night-and-day better than the stock tune.  The snatchy low-speed throttle was mitigated slightly, but I now had a healthy dose of off-throttle pops to go with it.  I've since sold the XSR.

I'm not saying I would never use them again, but I might pony up for an actual dyno tune rather than an off-the-shelf one.  

Edited by Toei
  • Like 1

I'm curious what happens to your fuel consumption. I have flashed mine with the Dynojet Power Vision map which increased consumption from 4.7L/100km to about 6.3L/100km, which is about 1.6L extra, considerably lowering range.

• Sad 1

Initial 100 km impressions since 2wdw tune with ; new camel pipe, snorkel replaced by twin air pre-filter & stock headers/cat remaining;

-Didn’t realize just how snatchy the throttle was, until it wasn’t. Much more predictable. Far less twitchy off the bottom.

-Power delivery is very smooth through entire range & pulls mildly stronger through the middle, winding up quickly. Bike feels just a little more lively.

-Fan kicks in sooner than it used to & engine temp indication seems to jump around kind of erratically, bouncing up & down a couple degrees at a time.

Something it never used to do.

-Exhaust is a little more poppy on decel & previous hard engine braking feels mildly reduced. No backfires. (Pipe change my be contributing to just making it more audible than stock)

-fuel consumption seems to have increased about 0.2ltr/100km.(an excitable, eager to sample wrist,

could easily be contributing)

Not being concerned with the extra ponies available above 9k & aiming to keep it from getting obnoxiously loud, I didn’t bother with the added decat expense.

All in all, quite happy so far & feeling it was a worthy upgrade.

• Like 2

@Hammerhead Thanks for the detailed feedback.  Your setup is exactly what I have planned (assuming you kept the OEM air filter below the Twin Air prefilter).  

The reduced snatchy throttle would be the biggest plus for me.  The biggest minus might be the reduced engine braking:  I need all the help I can get when going down some really steep grades with a bike this big/heavy.  The decel popping could be annoying depending on intensity.  Taming that would require upping the fuel, so more fuel economy loss.  

@Toei running a foam UniFilter under the twin air. Don’t imagine that making any noticeable difference.

The engine braking is still reliable, just doesn’t upset the notoriously spongy front end as dramatically on the street now. No steep off-road descents yet to know if it’s going to be badly missed there.
   Wouldn’t call the decel popping severe or obnoxious & I’m not keen on loud exhausts. Hard to pinpoint the exact cause as pipe & flash happened simultaneously. Camel can is louder closer & at it’s upward angle so likely contributing some to what’s being heard on board.

5 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Where did you buy the ABS rings from? Speedo is so annoying.

@Hammerhead That's a good observation regarding the angle of the Camel exhaust; that's the thing that gives me some pause on purchasing it (even more than cutting my frame!).  Not just the noise factor, but also the aesthetics and the idea of rain going in my exhaust!

9 minutes ago, Toei said:

@Hammerhead That's a good observation regarding the angle of the Camel exhaust; that's the thing that gives me some pause on purchasing it (even more than cutting my frame!).  Not just the noise factor, but also the aesthetics and the idea of rain going in my exhaust!

I’m happy with it. With the db killer in it’s not that large of a funnel. I’ve also drilled a small low point weep hole similar to the stock one for cat condensation to exit. (Corey may now be doing this in house?? )Water can also escape between between pipe & can joint near the springs ‘cause there’s no gasket there.  Doubt it’s ever going to catch more rain water than the cat produces. 

I'm hoping the sale is still on by the time my bike shows up to the dealer.  Still saying "april". Never had my fz07 done, just a pc5, and I learned to ride without closing the throttle 100%. I don't want to do that while riding singletrack on the tenere.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DORTx2 said:

Where did you buy the ABS rings from? Speedo is so annoying.

Reach out to this young man...Aleksandar13. You'll find him lurking around this forum on his super cool Super Moto T7.

• Like 2

I got my Tenere in October, I haven't ridden it above 50 degrees yet, and it still is kicking the fan on when putting around slowly in town, I'm considering the flashing for a better fuel mixture that doesn't make the engine run so hot. It sounds like the fan temperature is adjusted too, but the mixture change is what will help the hot running condition.

• Like 1

I'm not sure of the concern about the bike running hot. In my ~3500km ride through the Rockies last summer where close to the boarder we had 2 days well into the mid/high 30s C, the bike ran flawless even at slow speed where the fan was doing its job and keeping the engine below 100C. I'm not a huge fan of the emissions tuning to lean these engines out, but now sure it is a problem worth solving unless you are modifying the intake/exhaust in some manner. That all being said, its your money...and there seem to be benefits above engine temp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canzvt said:

I'm not sure of the concern about the bike running hot. In my ~3500km ride through the Rockies last summer where close to the boarder we had 2 days well into the mid/high 30s C, the bike ran flawless even at slow speed where the fan was doing its job and keeping the engine below 100C. I'm not a huge fan of the emissions tuning to lean these engines out, but now sure it is a problem worth solving unless you are modifying the intake/exhaust in some manner. That all being said, its your money...and there seem to be benefits above engine temp.

I over heated all summer long last year. Anything above 85 degrees if I took my bike up in the hills on trails the bike was over heating. Plus, even with stock exhaust and airfilter, I was running super lean and hot even on the pavement at 5000 Ft Elevation. As lean as the stock tune is at low elevation, it would be in the dangerous zone at 8-10,000 FT Elevation.  I won't even consider trying it this summer with the new free flowing exhaust and filter. 

On our Dirt bikes, we rejet the carbs at 7000 Elevation, right on the side of the trail.  Don't have that option on a Fuel Injected bike.   IF you are ever curious if running a lean engine at high elevation is bad for your engine, pull your plugs after doing so and see the burn. Then, picture your Pistons. Rings and Cylinders. 

Just got tracking from Nate at @2 Wheel DynoWorks and my ECU arrives back to me today between 11am and 1pm.  They shipped it back to me same day that they received it. 

7 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

I over heated all summer long last year. Anything above 85 degrees if I took my bike up in the hills on trails the bike was over heating. Plus, even with stock exhaust and airfilter, I was running super lean and hot even on the pavement at 5000 Ft Elevation. As lean as the stock tune is at low elevation, it would be in the dangerous zone at 8-10,000 FT Elevation.  I won't even consider trying it this summer with the new free flowing exhaust and filter. 

On our Dirt bikes, we rejet the carbs at 7000 Elevation, right on the side of the trail.  Don't have that option on a Fuel Injected bike.   IF you are ever curious if running a lean engine at high elevation is bad for your engine, pull your plugs after doing so and see the burn. Then, picture your Pistons. Rings and Cylinders. 

Just got tracking from Nate at @2 Wheel DynoWorks and my ECU arrives back to me today between 11am and 1pm.  They shipped it back to me same day that they received it. 

Thanks for the feedback. I'm aware of your comments. Having built engines (2 and 4 stroke) for bikes, sleds, ATV's, rally cars etc using carbs, OEM and fully programmable FI systems (Magnetti Marelli, DTA, Haltech, Motec M4, M8, M8+ etc) for over 25 years, and spending my fair share of time in the dyno room, lean conditions CAN be a terrible thing. I always run EGT and/or wide band O2 sensors on any of my builds to monitor that. That being said, I have never been concerned about the T7's STOCK fueling in terms of engine reliability. Modify the engine in any way, that becomes another story. Just my humble experience with MY T7. Obviously your experience has been greatly different.

• Like 3

@Canzvt

On the MT07 and Tenere 700, if you remove the snorkel you ARE modifying the airbox. It makes that much of a difference and is in place only to satisfy the new EPA intake noise regulations. It's crazy that EPA would have rules on freaking noise, but now they do.  Removing the stupid snorkel increases airflow enough actually add a couple HP, with a tune which is not my reason for removing it, I just don't want the damn thing on my bike.  Lean with Snorkel, even more lean without snorkel. Even more lean with exhaust change.

Taking it up on trails in the summer, rough trails with slow stop and go riding, it would be bad and coolant would leak. It was boiling over in totally stock form last summer.

I too have engine building and racing experience, but I'm gonna spare everyone the hundreds of brands and systems that I worked with. 

Feel free to start a thread about why you dont wanna tune your T7. Just not here in @2 Wheel DynoWorks section.  This thread is about my journey modifying the fueling and parameters of MY bike. 

Fair enough. I'll keep my comments to myself...

@Cruizin You would know better than me with all your MT-07 knowledge:  Is engine braking an independent setting in the ECU map?   Or is the change tied to another setting, like the decel fuel cut?

1 hour ago, Toei said:

@Cruizin You would know better than me with all your MT-07 knowledge:  Is engine braking an independent setting in the ECU map?   Or is the change tied to another setting, like the decel fuel cut?

2WDW gets rid of the fuel cut off when y9u let release the throttle, but that doe NOT get rid of the normal engine braking. Which is good for coasting down dangerous hilly trails. What that does do is get rid of the snatchy throttle when releasing the throttle. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Fair enough. I'll keep my comments to myself...

Nah, you're fine, mate. Yours was a valid point. (That's a pretty good CV). I'm interested in hearing a fuller discussion about how much I really need or don't need something.