Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

knocking the bars out of line

dobbi

Hey all.

Its taken a while for me to start taking my t7 off road and even before that, I've found dropping the thing virtialy every time really knocked the front fork allignment right out.  I did a pretty god job of bouncing it back inot line, but until I could get a home made 27mm socket to get down to the headstock clamp (this time around) I never seemed to get it back spot on (I think also the heastock clamp was not tourqued up to the full N/M).

So the big question is, do you find the bars/forks get knocked out of line when you drop the bike, soft or hard?

Cheers

Dave

Yes, I gently bumped mine back in alignment twice between two small trees on the trail.

Also the stock bars bend easily.

Both times (and only drops) were at a slow jogging speed so it doesn't take much with a heavy bike.

Yes, but It’s largely the bar risers, being rubber mounted, that seem to have tweaked out in my case as opposed to the triple clamps. 

37 minutes ago, dobbi said:

Hey all.

Its taken a while for me to start taking my t7 off road and even before that, I've found dropping the thing virtialy every time really knocked the front fork allignment right out.  I did a pretty god job of bouncing it back inot line, but until I could get a home made 27mm socket to get down to the headstock clamp (this time around) I never seemed to get it back spot on (I think also the heastock clamp was not tourqued up to the full N/M).

So the big question is, do you find the bars/forks get knocked out of line when you drop the bike, soft or hard?

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

The headstock nut being slack shouldn’t have a bearing on alignment. When you knock the front wheel out off alignment it’s the forks twisting in the triple clamps that knocks it out, top & bottom clamps are joined through the fork tubes.

You need to slacken the lower clamp to fork tube pinch bolts  and one side of the wheel axle.

This video is a good guide.