Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tent or hammock&tarp

JayD

Done my fair share of camping in tents, but I have never slept in a hammock. I’ve never even thought about it for motorcycle camping until I saw Fortnines video about low weight-camping.

Anyone have experience with both and would like to share their knowledge?

I understand it depends on many factors.

Johannes

Edited by JayD

I have never used a hammock but am interested also.  Have you @JayD seen the Amok?  It is a pretty cool sleeping system from I think Norway. Cheers

As you said it depends on a lot of factors. There's a lot of work to get your setup dialed in and you definitely need to start with the right hammock (11' minimum, don't go out and try to sleep in a 9' ENO). Check out warbonnet and dutchware for starters.

You also need insulation under you in temps below about 65-70. Whether that is a pad or an underquilt is something you have to decide. You also have to choose whether you want a gathered end hammock or a bridge hammock. Then choose your tarp. Then choose your suspension.

I've camped across the country in my warbonnet ridgerunner but I've got my setup dialed in over a lot of trips. Comfortable into single digits depending on what gear I bring.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Yammybound88 said:

I have never used a hammock but am interested also.  Have you @JayD seen the Amok?  It is a pretty cool sleeping system from I think Norway. Cheers

That looks awesome. Its norwegian!

7 minutes ago, BMRT7 said:

As you said it depends on a lot of factors. There's a lot of work to get your setup dialed in and you definitely need to start with the right hammock (11' minimum, don't go out and try to sleep in a 9' ENO). Check out warbonnet and dutchware for starters.

You also need insulation under you in temps below about 65-70. Whether that is a pad or an underquilt is something you have to decide. You also have to choose whether you want a gathered end hammock or a bridge hammock. Then choose your tarp. Then choose your suspension.

I've camped across the country in my warbonnet ridgerunner but I've got my setup dialed in over a lot of trips. Comfortable into single digits depending on what gear I bring.

Thanks, exactly the kind of feedback I was after. Sounds like more hassle than I initially thought.

Is the sleep better in a hammock? Subjective question.

• Like 1

Just now, JayD said:

Thanks, exactly the kind of feedback I was after. Sounds like more hassle than I initially thought.

Is the sleep better in a hammock? Subjective question.

It can be a hassle when you’re new but I liken it to motorcycles in general. Always tinkering. Always modding. Always looking at new ways to do things. 

For me the sleep is far, far better than I get in a tent - and I have that setup dialed in as well. The hammock moves and flexes with you and I have zero pressure points and sleep through the night. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BMRT7 said:

It can be a hassle when you’re new but I liken it to motorcycles in general. Always tinkering. Always modding. Always looking at new ways to do things. 

For me the sleep is far, far better than I get in a tent - and I have that setup dialed in as well. The hammock moves and flexes with you and I have zero pressure points and sleep through the night. 

The constant search/research for the perfect setup for the situation at hand - I’m familiar with the approach 😉

I think I will give it a try and see how I like it. I’m already bringing a tarp when travelling, so perhaps both hammock and tent could be possible, and use whatever suits the campsite!

• Like 1

Tent.. all the way. I have a couple hammocks but usually just for truck camping and setup to lounge in. 

Marmot Limelight 2P Tent

Helinox Cot One

Nemo Tensor 25 Insulated Pad (wide)

Nemo Riff Sleeping Bags

Nemo Elite Inflatable Pillow

8F71D109-2ADD-42D0-9E70-7C59B9E06B3D.jpeg

• Like 3

I have slept many a night in hammocks, usually while hiking through Sweden. It's a more flexible setup than a tent, as long as there are plenty of trees. No need for a flat patch,  you can put up just the tarp to protect against sun or rain, you can put your gear under the hammock on a sheet on the ground, so no need to put stuff into the tent with you. 

Practice before you go on a trip. Setting up is not more difficult than a tent, but there is a lightly longer learning curve in getting to know the right amount of slack, distance between trees and the right knots. 

Always separate the hammock from the webbing with a carabiner or two rings or similar. Rain will run over the webbing and wet the hammock even when fully under the tarp. Ad a piece of string to guide the water downwards. 

Don't go too short on the hammock as mentioned, get an underquilt (sleeping mats in a hammock are a nuisance). Add a piece of bungee cord at the tie down loops of the tarp before tying the guy ropes - prevents tearing in heavy winds. 

I sleep in them like a baby, even like the sight rocking in the wind..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've done a fair bit of motorcycle/hammock camping (not on the Tenere yet), it's great but as others have said you need to do it a few times to get your set up sorted.  Absolutely need some insulation beneath you, I've got an underquilt.  Very comfortable. 

20141027_083213.thumb.jpg.542132e196fa45fcf6a9e9ceb26cf36c.jpg

20160423_183955.thumb.jpg.2869a97c231798c051c14a0cca0f8db2.jpg

I used a lomo bag for all my camping kit....then once I get to campsite I can put all my bike clothing in the bag to keep it dry.

20160424_100459.thumb.jpg.ea6657c205d3b311a82757cdcb778058.jpg

It's hourses for courses though - if you are wild camping then it's great; more likely to find the trees and ground more likely to be uneven and you can take advantage of the main benefit....being able to see nature around you and be out in the open.  

If you are going for lightest weight and simplest there is also bivvy and tarp.

20160527_183814.thumb.jpg.aa822f9c95d57a37146ba6bd364ad42a.jpg

I've been thinking about getting a tent...keeps all your kit nicely squared away, gives you a bit of privacy and better weather protection.  Good to have all the options covered!

• Like 2

I can totally understand the appeal of hammocks if you tend to travel regions with plenty of forest. But if you're doing arctic regions, steppe, desert or savannah, tents are way more convenient.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-SVT4W4W/0/X2/i-SVT4W4W-X2.jpg

Edited by duibhceK
  • Like 4

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

I’ve since creating this post bought myself a very nice two man tent, which I got for cheap as second hand. I’m still very interested in hammocks, since bringing one doesn’t take any space or weight at all.

@jeeves1275You mention insulation, I assume thats only needed when its colder, and not mid summer?

@duibhceKHello again my friend, thanks for the comment. I actually plan a few trip in Norway above the tree limit, so thats a good point!

1 hour ago, JayD said:

@jeeves1275You mention insulation, I assume thats only needed when its colder, and not mid summer?

Depends on the temps you are talking about, and any breeze/wind, it can still get cold in the middle of the night in summer, and depends on how 'cold' a sleeper you are.  I definitely cool down when I sleep.  Basically if you are in a sleeping bag the down/filling is compressed in a hammock so is basically useless plus you have the draft.  If you are sleeping without a bag 'cause of the temperature it'll be fine, if you need a bag you'll likely need something under you too....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeeves1275 said:

Depends on the temps you are talking about, and any breeze/wind, it can still get cold in the middle of the night in summer, and depends on how 'cold' a sleeper you are.  I definitely cool down when I sleep.  Basically if you are in a sleeping bag the down/filling is compressed in a hammock so is basically useless plus you have the draft.  If you are sleeping without a bag 'cause of the temperature it'll be fine, if you need a bag you'll likely need something under you too....

Thank you, valuable information!