Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Fueling, Gearing and Wind

Canzvt

• Premium Member

Nice write up!  and thanks for sharing.

Interesting info on the pipe, I'm running the Huzar high mount pipe and (at the time) Dominator header, found it far too loud with no db-killer installed.  With db Killer and good 30db ear plugs, its not bad.  I think I may look into custom fitting a different muffler onto the bike at some point in the future, but the high-exit pipe is definitely staying. 

I also had 2wdw re-flash my bike with their latest, the original flash was good, but very lean down low, returned excellent fuel mileage however.  Too much popping at nearly closed throttle openings.

Tazmool

• Premium Member

Also, 

Fitting the ABS rings, did you have any issues installing these? 
I got the black ones, and had to file the outer edges of the "fingers" exactly the thickness of the paint to get them to fit, otherwise they would not slip into position.  I guess I could have just used force and bolt them down, but the oem rings slipped in and out easily, figured the new ones should do the same.

Tazmool

Thanks. Yep, had the same issue with the ABS rings, but minor issue as you noted.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Nice write up. I also have the 2WDW tune and run an after market intake, MWR main filter and SC Projects exhaust with decat and DB killer removed. When I ordered the tune I asked for full engine braking so as to avoid popping on deceleration. 

Performance difference is very obvious, and much better throttle control. I also noticed how smooth the engine is down low in the revs and you can actually hear it in some of my videos.

The issue you are having with it being too loud might be due to the angle of your pipe. Mine sounds great and I know its loud when the sound rebounds off the forest, but I dont get too much of it hit me straight out of the pipe. My pipe is well back on the bike and has an exit piece that angles backwards which I think helps.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

When I ordered the tune I asked for full engine braking so as to avoid popping on deceleration. 

What does this mean in terms of the actual fuel map?

On 3/28/2021 at 3:11 PM, Canzvt said:

Hi All,

After a -2C with snow for a start to the day, it cleared up, hit +8C and I finally got out on the T7 for a rip today after fitting the following:

- Uni Filter and Pre-Filter

- Camel Pipe

- 2WDW ECU Reflash

- 16T Front Sprocket

- MRA screen

- New E-07's

- ABS Rings (to fix speedo error)

First 10 kms was a warm up for me and the bike. Next 50 I rode it like I stole it. Next 60 was relaxed cruising on a known loop. Let me say that the filter/pipe/Reflash is a ripper. Love the power. Engine pulls clean from as low at 1800rpms in top gear. Rips up to 8500 (as far as I went today) clean and crisp. I'm thinking it is a tad rich at 1/16-1/8th throttle, but I'm not complaining. Top job by 2WDW. Only downside is that on the cruise loop, I noticed an average of about .6-.8 l/100 more fuel usage. When ripping, I don't want to look at fuel consumption. I guess that's the price I pay for ripping! Just happy I fitted 2 Rotopax mounts!

Rode about 20kms mid ride with the dB killer removed - put it back in immediately. Camel pipe without the dB killer is ob-f'ing'noxious. I wear custom fitted ear-plugs, and was wearing my Shoei GT-Air with a closed visor, and it still was TOO LOUD. Ears are still ringing. I had pipes on my Ducati's and my RC51, and vowed I would never ride long distance with that drone again. Love the sound at idle, and blipping, but at 5000 rpms - NOPE. With the dB killer it was tolerable, but I will be digging back into the memory banks for tricks to quiet it some more. Acceptable for 2-300km days, but not the 600-800kms days I usually ride in the summer. Droning increases fatigue. Fatigue leads to falling off. Lived that dream.

16T front sprocket helped a bit on the highway to drop the revs by 400-500. Still has the grunt to loft the front wheel in first, and spin it up on gravel through 3rd.😝 Doesn't seem to dramatically affect the slow speed much, although I didn't spend any time plunking around in tight trails yet. The ABS rings did their job as compared to the GPS. Speedo was only out by 1-2 km/h throughout 140km/h.

The MRA screen helped a bit, but not good enough. Will fit the T7 risers next and try it out. The pocket behind the screen is much cleaner than stock, but the flow off the top hits me mid visor creating turbulence. No buffeting mid chest though. And fitted Double Take mirrors. I'm sure they helped the buffeting too...

Looks like the weather is not going to cooperate for the next few days, so will give it a rest and try again later this week. All in all, great additions to the T7!

IMG_20210327_155745 (2).jpg

IMG_20210327_155714 (2).jpg

Nice work, how did the DT mirrors go off road?  Did you have to tighten them up much?  I just fit some but read they'll need a strong thumb for the rough stuff.

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

1 hour ago, Toei said:

What does this mean in terms of the actual fuel map?

I believe it means zero fuel at minimum throttle above a certain revs and tuners can tune out some of the engine braking by injecting fuel even at minimum throttle.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

213421800_T7Moskorotaxrack.jpg.3f2cdac138c1554d0a46c162708c5a22.jpg

Looks like you have a rack that lets you carry a Mosko soft pannier and a rotopax container.   That's a lot of carrying capacity.

Haven't seen that setup before. Looks the ticket for long trips far from fuel.

Can you say what rack that is?   What size rotopax can you haul?    What size is the pannier?

How close to overloaded does the  bike feel with all that on?

With the weight behind the axle, does it mess up the handling?

:

On 8/21/2021 at 7:31 PM, one wheel drive said:

Can you say what rack that is?   What size rotopax can you haul?    What size is the pannier?

How close to overloaded does the  bike feel with all that on?

With the weight behind the axle, does it mess up the handling?

:

So this is an Outback Motortek Rack that I have modified and had sand blasted and re-powdercoated to the factory coating specs. I modified it to accept two RotoPax mounts - one on each side and carry luggage at the same time. My luggage is a Mosko Moto 25L fixed mount soft bag per side. This setup gives me well over 450kms (280miles), probably approaching 500kms (310miles) of backroads exploration capacity, as well as enough luggage space for 5-6 days of clothes, wet weather gear, tools, water, etc. If you are a tenter, then the topside of the bike is available for tents, bed roll, sleeping bags, etc.

Full of fuel, with the Mosko's full of clothes, wets, tools, snacks and water, the racks add about 90lbs to the rear of the bike. This setup is NOT suitable for a pillion though, so its just me and an extra 90lbs down low on the bike. You truly don't notice it while riding, except when you decide to tip over, then its 90lbs heavier. Handling with E-07's or my current Shinko 804/805 tires is neutral up to 140km/h. Balance is good on single/dual track as the weight is low. Climbing traction is great as the weight is rearward.

Now, the downside. Foot clearance while paddling or foot dabbing is limited. This is the downside of this setup. If you are not doing single track technical riding, this is the system I would run long term. For backroads/fire roads, highway, touring, etc, I love it. It doesn't work for technical riding. Since I find that I like doing technical single track, I will be selling this setup. PM me if you are interested. I will be switching to something tighter fitting to the bike and a bit rearward/upward.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 8:42 AM, Canzvt said:

So this is an Outback Motortek Rack that I have modified and had sand blasted and re-powdercoated to the factory coating specs. I modified it to accept two RotoPax mounts - one on each side and carry luggage at the same time. My luggage is a Mosko Moto 25L fixed mount soft bag per side. This setup gives me well over 450kms (280miles), probably approaching 500kms (310miles) of backroads exploration capacity, as well as enough luggage space for 5-6 days of clothes, wet weather gear, tools, water, etc. If you are a tenter, then the topside of the bike is available for tents, bed roll, sleeping bags, etc.

Full of fuel, with the Mosko's full of clothes, wets, tools, snacks and water, the racks add about 90lbs to the rear of the bike. This setup is NOT suitable for a pillion though, so its just me and an extra 90lbs down low on the bike. You truly don't notice it while riding, except when you decide to tip over, then its 90lbs heavier. Handling with E-07's or my current Shinko 804/805 tires is neutral up to 140km/h. Balance is good on single/dual track as the weight is low. Climbing traction is great as the weight is rearward.

Now, the downside. Foot clearance while paddling or foot dabbing is limited. This is the downside of this setup. If you are not doing single track technical riding, this is the system I would run long term. For backroads/fire roads, highway, touring, etc, I love it. It doesn't work for technical riding. Since I find that I like doing technical single track, I will be selling this setup. PM me if you are interested. I will be switching to something tighter fitting to the bike and a bit rearward/upward.

So you modified the racks . . . stretched the hoops?  Impressive.

How big are the rotopax containers?

That is a lot of weight. But then you burn the fuel and lighten up.

I also used the MRA screen but it wasn't enough. I'm about 185cm tall. I'm now using the big one from skidmarx. Took about a month to get made and shipped. Buffeting is much better as the screen is wider. Wind is just hitting the top part of my helmet. But the wind passes the sides of my helmet so i've got much less wind noise and having my head bob around in the turbulence.

For touring long distances i'll probably add some clip on screen i can remove once i'm where i want to be.

Just thought i might share this.

yamaha-700-tenere-2019-450cm-super-tall-

This is our super Tall Flip-up Screen made from 4mm acrylic to give extra strength. 

6 hours ago, one wheel drive said:

So you modified the racks . . . stretched the hoops?  Impressive.

How big are the rotopax containers?

That is a lot of weight. But then you burn the fuel and lighten up.

So I only use the RotoPax when I need them, thus keeping the weight forward and low. I usually keep them on the bike for bigger rides, but they are usually empty when in civilization. Once we plan on hitting the bush trails, I'll look at the daily plan, the other bikes I'm riding with (I'm kind of the tanker/mechanic whenever we ride) and then fill them up if needed. They are 1 gallon US/3.8L ea.

The only modification to the racks is the RotoPax mounts added to the racks, then welds smoothed, sandblasted and then powder coated.

As for weight, fuel (2 gal) is ~12lbs, water is about 12 lbs (1.5gal), tools/spare tubes(even though I'm tubeless)/etc are 18lbs, rack with Mosko and RotoPax mount is about 15lbs, Mosko bags with aux pockets is about 12lbs, leaving about 18-20lbs for actual clothes/shoes/wets/etc. Usually don't pack that much weight though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Trikke said:

I also used the MRA screen but it wasn't enough. I'm about 185cm tall. I'm now using the big one from skidmarx. Took about a month to get made and shipped. Buffeting is much better as the screen is wider. Wind is just hitting the top part of my helmet. But the wind passes the sides of my helmet so i've got much less wind noise and having my head bob around in the turbulence.

For touring long distances i'll probably add some clip on screen i can remove once i'm where i want to be.

Just thought i might share this.

yamaha-700-tenere-2019-450cm-super-tall-

This is our super Tall Flip-up Screen made from 4mm acrylic to give extra strength. 

So, ended up scrapping (not actually, just not using them) all my aftermarket screens and went back to stock, and better earplugs. My buffeting was largely acoustic in nature, not pushing me around on the seat. I did the 'behind the screen' visor mod, and am running without risers. Acoustic noise is still there, but no more buffeting. Also switched from my GT-Air to my Klim Krios and that made a huge different as well. Always liked my Shoei's but on this bike they don't like the air flow. The Krios does NOT move on this bike.

• 4 months later...
On 3/28/2021 at 12:41 AM, Canzvt said:

Hi All,

After a -2C with snow for a start to the day, it cleared up, hit +8C and I finally got out on the T7 for a rip today after fitting the following:

- Uni Filter and Pre-Filter

- Camel Pipe

- 2WDW ECU Reflash

- 16T Front Sprocket

- MRA screen

- New E-07's

- ABS Rings (to fix speedo error)

First 10 kms was a warm up for me and the bike. Next 50 I rode it like I stole it. Next 60 was relaxed cruising on a known loop. Let me say that the filter/pipe/Reflash is a ripper. Love the power. Engine pulls clean from as low at 1800rpms in top gear. Rips up to 8500 (as far as I went today) clean and crisp. I'm thinking it is a tad rich at 1/16-1/8th throttle, but I'm not complaining. Top job by 2WDW. Only downside is that on the cruise loop, I noticed an average of about .6-.8 l/100 more fuel usage. When ripping, I don't want to look at fuel consumption. I guess that's the price I pay for ripping! Just happy I fitted 2 Rotopax mounts!

Rode about 20kms mid ride with the dB killer removed - put it back in immediately. Camel pipe without the dB killer is ob-f'ing'noxious. I wear custom fitted ear-plugs, and was wearing my Shoei GT-Air with a closed visor, and it still was TOO LOUD. Ears are still ringing. I had pipes on my Ducati's and my RC51, and vowed I would never ride long distance with that drone again. Love the sound at idle, and blipping, but at 5000 rpms - NOPE. With the dB killer it was tolerable, but I will be digging back into the memory banks for tricks to quiet it some more. Acceptable for 2-300km days, but not the 600-800kms days I usually ride in the summer. Droning increases fatigue. Fatigue leads to falling off. Lived that dream.

16T front sprocket helped a bit on the highway to drop the revs by 400-500. Still has the grunt to loft the front wheel in first, and spin it up on gravel through 3rd.😝 Doesn't seem to dramatically affect the slow speed much, although I didn't spend any time plunking around in tight trails yet. The ABS rings did their job as compared to the GPS. Speedo was only out by 1-2 km/h throughout 140km/h.

The MRA screen helped a bit, but not good enough. Will fit the T7 risers next and try it out. The pocket behind the screen is much cleaner than stock, but the flow off the top hits me mid visor creating turbulence. No buffeting mid chest though. And fitted Double Take mirrors. I'm sure they helped the buffeting too...

Looks like the weather is not going to cooperate for the next few days, so will give it a rest and try again later this week. All in all, great additions to the T7!

IMG_20210327_155745 (2).jpg

IMG_20210327_155714 (2).jpg

Man I love that Blue color...