Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rotopax fuel tank and Tusk pannier racks

bigsky

Anyone had any luck mounting a rotopax to tusk pannier racks?  preferably between the pannier and the bike on the right side.  I'm using mosko moto 35/25 system and I don't want the outback motortek because I have heard there are fitment issues.  The reviews on the Tusk are good except they come in a little heavy but the price is right.  Also would consider mounting to the tail rack if anyone knows of anything in that regard.  Altrider has a rear rack drilled for rotopax but its pretty spendy. 

Here's a pic of the Outback Motortek with a Rotopax mounted inboard on the left side. Also a pic with modified Outacks with one Rotopax mount outboard on each rack behind my Mosko 25 mounts just for reference.

IMG_20200828_192513 small.jpg

IMG_20210130_170419 Small.jpg

Edited by Canzvt

I think I have Yamaha disease...

@CANVT,

I have been thinking of doing the same setup as you have. I like the Mosko 25L bags & mounting system (But Enduristan would be better...BUT $$$).

I have decided to go with the HUZAR 40CM & short pipe, so I was looking for a rack that is closer to the bike..maybe Dirtracks Soft Luggage frame https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1114/0970/products/tenere700softbag7.jpg?v=1612226723

Still trying to decide.

21 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Here's a pic of the Outback Motortek with a Rotopax mounted inboard on the left side. Also a pic with modified Outacks with one Rotopax mount outboard on each rack behind my Mosko 25 mounts just for reference.

rs 

OM was my first choice but I heard lots of people were having fitment issues w both the crash bars and pannier racks.  what was your experience?

7 hours ago, Bighopper said:

@CANVT,

I have been thinking of doing the same setup as you have. I like the Mosko 25L bags & mounting system (But Enduristan would be better...BUT $$$).

I have decided to go with the HUZAR 40CM & short pipe, so I was looking for a rack that is closer to the bike..maybe Dirtracks Soft Luggage frame https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1114/0970/products/tenere700softbag7.jpg?v=1612226723

Still trying to decide.

do the tusk racks sit out a ways from the frame.  Hard to beat the tusk price and they almost serve as another crash guard for the rear end.  I will check out your link...thanks

• Moderators

@bigsky- The Tusk racks hang out 2 3/4" on the left and 4 1/2"  on the right, measured from the side panel to the outside tube. I haven't yet mounted a Rotopax on the inside left, waiting for more responses to your request for some ideas.  You are correct,  the RH side does afford some pipe protection, how much depends on how hard it hits.  Those pontoons are the large 37L Tusk aluminum panniers.

20210329_192633.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

2 hours ago, bigsky said:

OM was my first choice but I heard lots of people were having fitment issues w both the crash bars and pannier racks.  what was your experience?

So the OM racks were really the only option available other than OEM when I fitted my bike out last year. They fit fine except I had to tweak the lower mount (passenger footpeg) out about 1/2 an inch so the bolt would go in. No other problems.

I'd love to know too. I've got a set of the Tusk racks sitting in the gradge at the moment, just waiting on yamaha to finally get the bike shipped out. Wonder if we can squeeze the 1.75 gallon rotopax in there or if there's only room for a single gallon. If worse comes to worse I figure I can throw it on top of the tail rack.

Edited by Womble

2 hours ago, Womble said:

I'd love to know too. I've got a set of the Tusk racks sitting in the gradge at the moment, just waiting on yamaha to finallY get the bine shipped out. Wonder if we can squeeze the 1.75 gallon rotopax in there or if there's only room for a single gallon. If worse comes to worse I figure I can throw it on top of the tail rack.

not a bad idea regarding the tail rack.  would you have to drill holes for the rotopax mounting bracket?

2 minutes ago, bigsky said:

not a bad idea regarding the tail rack.  would you have to drill holes for the rotopax mounting bracket?

Most likely, that’s my last resort though since I’d like to keep the weight as low and forward on the bike as possible. 

i went on Rocky Mountain adv mc website and dug around a little.  the mounting plate for the soft luggage is drilled for rotopax.  In one of their videos where the compare 3 types of soft TUSK luggage you can see on the middle bike a rotopax mounted between the soft TUSK luggage and the bike.  I'll try to call tomorrow

Just now, bigsky said:

i went on Rocky Mountain adv mc website and dug around a little.  the mounting plate for the soft luggage is drilled for rotopax.  In one of their videos where the compare 3 types of soft TUSK luggage you can see on the middle bike a rotopax mounted between the soft TUSK luggage and the bike.  I'll try to call tomorrow

That’s great to know! Definitely keep us posted on anything you find out

1 minute ago, Womble said:

Most likely, that’s my last resort though since I’d like to keep the weight as low and forward on the bike as possible. 

check this out...toward the end he talks about the rotopax.  it almost sounds like you either get to use luggage or rotopax on the outside of the rack.  not luggage then rotopax at the same time w the rotopax mounted between the rack and the bike.  

• Like 1

here on the KTM the rotopax is mounted between the luggage and the bike with the olympus luggage.  Seems like if would work on a ktm it would work on a T7.

ok....i just got off the phone with rocky mtn adv mc.  Very helpful people.  Here is how I understand it.  The olympus luggage comes with its own mounting plate.  But, to mount the rotopax you would have to order the soft pannier mounting plate from the first video link i posted and substitute it for the one that comes with the luggage.  The new one will have holes drilled for the rotopax.  BUT....they cannot guarantee fitment with the T7.  Sooooo.....if it doesn't work send it back and use the plate that comes with the luggage and figure something else out.  The cost of the kit is $215 which includes the rotopax fuel tank and all the hardware to assemble.  I might just go with the alt rider tail rack $198 which come pre drilled for a rotopax.  I would rather have the tank between the pannier and the bike and out of the way but this would be a close 2nd.  Or, do nothing and carry two 1.5 Litre MSR bottles in the accessory bags on the ends of the olympus luggage.   Maybe the plate that comes with the olympus luggage can be drilled for a rotopax bracket.  I will probably just wait on everything until I get the TUSK gear mounted and see what it looks like from there.  I usually would be this worried regarding fuel but on some alot of Montana rides gas stations can be scarce. Any other thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 8:47 PM, Canzvt said:

IMG_20210130_170419 Small.jpg

@Canzvt - with the inboard Rotopax mounted, how much space/clearance between the fender and the Rotopax?  Does it rub?  On the inboard side, is it a PIA to place/remove the Rotopax?

9 minutes ago, JFive said:

@Canzvt - with the inboard Rotopax mounted, how much space/clearance between the fender and the Rotopax?  Does it rub?  On the inboard side, is it a PIA to place/remove the Rotopax?

So with the Rotopax mounted as this image indicates, the standard OM mount plate was modified (rounded the corners on 2 of them) so I could move the mount plate as far back as I could so it wouldn't rub on the side panel/mudguard. If you don't do that, it will rub a bit, which is how I had it originally mounted. With the original mounting location, you kind of had to wiggle the Rotopax out of there. With this method, it pops straight out by rolling the back edge of the  Rotopax a bit forward, then it slides off. You also have to use countersunk bolt heads for the rack cross member as the standard ones rub on the Rotopax.

In my new set-up, I'm running a tool tube in place of the in-board Rotopax on the left side. This will allow me to get my tools out of the tank bag and move them lower down. I usually carry enough tools and some spares to rebuild the engine (not really) on the side of the trail, so my tool kit weighs a bit. This new setup allows the mass to stay low and forward with full luggage. If I'm just going for a day ride, I pop in the OM mount plate into the OM racks and mount the Rotopax there to keep the weight forward.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 9:51 AM, bigsky said:

ok....i just got off the phone with rocky mtn adv mc.  Very helpful people.  Here is how I understand it.  The olympus luggage comes with its own mounting plate.  But, to mount the rotopax you would have to order the soft pannier mounting plate from the first video link i posted and substitute it for the one that comes with the luggage.  The new one will have holes drilled for the rotopax.  BUT....they cannot guarantee fitment with the T7.  Sooooo.....if it doesn't work send it back and use the plate that comes with the luggage and figure something else out.  The cost of the kit is $215 which includes the rotopax fuel tank and all the hardware to assemble.  I might just go with the alt rider tail rack $198 which come pre drilled for a rotopax.  I would rather have the tank between the pannier and the bike and out of the way but this would be a close 2nd.  Or, do nothing and carry two 1.5 Litre MSR bottles in the accessory bags on the ends of the olympus luggage.   Maybe the plate that comes with the olympus luggage can be drilled for a rotopax bracket.  I will probably just wait on everything until I get the TUSK gear mounted and see what it looks like from there.  I usually would be this worried regarding fuel but on some alot of Montana rides gas stations can be scarce. Any other thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Hi Big Sky! I am mounting a set of Tusk Bags. I need a tail rack as the Yamaha Rally rack that I have mounts to far forward. I’m guessing you are in the Gallatin Valley. PM if you want to check it out. 

47C1FC54-330E-4DC8-9198-EC391C0945C7.jpeg

• 11 months later...

bumping this thread with a question.   I have the huzar exhaust (not mounted yet) and am looking at the tusk pannier racks also.   can anyone advise me if a rotopax will fit between the rack and bike on exhaust side using the new exhaust?   with the Huzar tucked in closer and up I'm interested to see if this route will work.

• Moderators

@tonusmaximus Hopefully these pics will help.  Tusk pannier racks first with the oem pipe, then the Camel-ADV rally pipe.  I don't see how a Rotopax will fit between the rack and pipe, but don't have a Huzar to know for certain.  ( sorry about pic orientation,  I gave up editing it trying to have it display upright)

20210329_192633.jpg

20211219_141558.jpg

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I don't understand why you would have a petrol or even water container that close to the exhaust.

Unless you only use the water for kooking or coffee.