Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Sixth gear issues

JayD

Just came home from the first long trip with my new T7. 300 miles yesterday and 300 today.

Two or three times today I wasn’t able to shift from fifth gear to sixth. Pulled the clutch in and the shifter moved, but it didnt pop into the sixth gear, I felt a resistance and had to go back to fifth. Tried a couple of times and it worked.

Anyone ever experienced this?

First service is due, so the transmission probably needs some time bedding in. A few false neutrals and clunks are fine, but not being able to enter a gear was mildly concerning.

Johannes

Edited by JayD

I have had similar shifting issues with my previous Super Tenere.  A simple greasing of the shifter pivot was the fix.  I would start with the simple things first and remove and grease the shifter pivot bolt.  

I removed mine when I got it home from the dealer.  Brand new 0 km it was bone dry.  They put lot of locktite on the bolt and there was some smeared on the pivot that didn't help it either.

Do the brake pivot as well it does not have any grease either.

78E575E0-9CF2-4A9E-AC0D-612C8FBCFE41.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 7:18 AM, williestreet said:

I have had similar shifting issues with my previous Super Tenere.  A simple greasing of the shifter pivot was the fix.  I would start with the simple things first and remove and grease the shifter pivot bolt.  

I removed mine when I got it home from the dealer.  Brand new 0 km it was bone dry.  They put lot of locktite on the bolt and there was some smeared on the pivot that didn't help it either.

What type of grease do you recommend for this?

I used Belray waterproof grease, but any good automotive chassis/ball bearing  grease would work just as well.  

The more important thing is to do it frequently.  I will re-grease mine every few months.

I might drill and tap for a Zerk/grease fitting the next time I have it apart.  

Here is a pic of the brake pedal pivot. Bone dry.

0D7D91FC-F9F0-4B48-9EA2-C48147B3EA25.jpeg

Edited by williestreet
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2021 at 2:18 PM, williestreet said:

78E575E0-9CF2-4A9E-AC0D-612C8FBCFE41.jpeg

Was having a look at this today. Can you remember what size of Allen key fits the bolt.

I’m working a bit blind but 6mm seems too loose and 7mm doesn’t seem to fit.

5 hours ago, Alan M said:

Was having a look at this today. Can you remember what size of Allen key fits the bolt.

I’m working a bit blind but 6mm seems too loose and 7mm doesn’t seem to fit.

It is 6mm.

• Like 1