Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How far off are your chain adjustment hashes?

mpatch

Mine are off by about 1/2 a hash mark. In all the bikes I've owned only one or two had the marks accurate. 

I've always been pretty anal about having the sprockets lined up, not sure it makes much of a difference if they're off by a bit. 

It's an easy thing to check and align and the majority of the time the marks aren't accurate. 

Do you mean the marks on the aluminum bits on the axle and the marks on the swing arm?

how are you cup he king they are the same or off? I have been using a dpset of digital calipers to make sure.  But I have no idea if the different sides of the swing arm itself is different lengths 😀

1 hour ago, MikeCMP said:

Do you mean the marks on the aluminum bits on the axle and the marks on the swing arm?

how are you cup he king they are the same or off? I have been using a dpset of digital calipers to make sure.  But I have no idea if the different sides of the swing arm itself is different lengths 😀

Yes the marks on the swingarm. 

I think it just a tolerance stacking issue that makes the marks close but not perfect on almost every bike. 

All you have to do it push up on the bottom of the chain to tension it and get behind the bike with the top of the chain at eye level and see if it's straight or has a bit of a bow  to it.

I also have the motion pro chain alignment tool but I think eyeballing it is easier. 

Like I said before I'm not sure it makes a huge difference unless it's way off but it's an easy thing to check. 

• Like 3

I have about a 1.5mm difference between sides to get the chain to track straight. 

• Moderators

Good video. Being an old guy like the one who made the video, guess we went to the same old school as we both use tried and true simple methods. I use the 3 finger measurement method mid span and even check my adjustment with one of those fancy MotionPro chain slack tools.  Usually comes out spot on to factory specs,  so I guess I have spec fingers?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

19 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Good video. Being an old guy like the one who made the video, guess we went to the same old school as we both use tried and true simple methods. I use the 3 finger measurement method mid span and even check my adjustment with one of those fancy MotionPro chain slack tools.  Usually comes out spot on to factory specs,  so I guess I have spec fingers?

If you’re into dirt bikes Slavens is a wealth of knowledge. 

• Like 1

I will not comment on Slavens, but the most accurate way to adjust your chain, if you're a bit anal about it, is to use a cat eye laser. No, I do not use one because I think 1 mm +/- plays no role. At least not in my hard enduro bikes...

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I will not comment on Slavens, but the most accurate way to adjust your chain, if you're a bit anal about it, is to use a cat eye laser. No, I do not use one because I think 1 mm +/- plays no role. At least not in my hard enduro bikes...

Have to remember Slavens is in business to sell products but he is knowledgeable. 
Don’t even get me started on aligning the front and back wheels. 
I dove down that rabbit hole a few years ago. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mpatch said:

Have to remember Slavens is in business to sell products but he is knowledgeable. 
Don’t even get me started on aligning the front and back wheels. 
I dove down that rabbit hole a few years ago. 

As said before, no comment on Mr. S.

Aligning front and back wheels is another story that, by the way, could lead to massive confusion and trouble. Adjusting the chain correctly and getting the rear wheel straight is a no brainer however.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 9:16 AM, mpatch said:

Mine are off by about 1/2 a hash mark. In all the bikes I've owned only one or two had the marks accurate. 

I've always been pretty anal about having the sprockets lined up, not sure it makes much of a difference if they're off by a bit. 

It's an easy thing to check and align and the majority of the time the marks aren't accurate. 

You are going on the assumption those surfaces are designed/manufactured to be in perfect alignment. You'd be far better served to align you WHEELS. 
Half a century of motorcycles, fabrication, manufacturing & machinery repair. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I use the old Harley Davidson method when there were no marks on their swing arms.  

Put a 90 degree bend in a brass welding rod or straightened metal clothes hanger about 2" from the end. On the other end put a small wire tie on the rod and have it tight, but loose enough to slide a little.

Put the short end of the rod in the center of the swing arm bolt. At the rear axle, slide the wire tie until it is in the center of the axle. Go to the other side and see if the distance is the same. If not, adjust until it is.

This will ensure that the axle and swing arm bolt are at least equidistant.  I did this on my T7 and Tracer GT with everything appearing to line up.

08CE5B4D-D85A-4E4B-A8EF-8FDE38CA0FEB.jpeg

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Like 1

Ive been using the same method as Slavens for decades. Do it once and at the very least you'll know if the hash marks are accurate.

Edited by Hammy