Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Luggage hook is stripped

JFB700

Question

So while removing the luggage hook on my brand new T7, I stripped the last hook I was removing. Any suggestion how I can remove it?

IMG_5268.jpg

14 answers to this question

Get your T30 torx bit and hammer it in, same thing happened to me, it worked, then order a new one, or fit a B&B rear rack, it does away with 2 of the mounts.

• Like 1

IRWIN VISE-GRIP Original 6-in Long Nose Locking Pliers in the Pliers  department at Lowes.com

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Thanks everyone for the input but its still stuck there.

I tried the hammer but its fully stripped now.

I tried the other tool and its not moving by a millimeter!

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Use Channel locks....that will get the bolt out.

The bolts are made from aluminum and if you want to remove them it is a very good idea to insert the torx and then tap it with a light 250 grams hammer several times. That way you free the jammed threads. When re-installing the bolts use ceramic grease or teflon grease. Aluminum bolts screwed into steel will always be a pain to remove.

On Friday we removed the bolts on a brand new Rally 2021, two of them snapped immediately, and no we did not trun in the wrong direction.
We then soaked the threads in WD 40, tapped on the threads with a drift, drilled small 2mm holes and tapped the smallest torx bit we had into the threads, then unscrewed the bolts remains out.

Screw1.jpg

Screw2.jpg

Screw3.jpg

Screw4.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder if before removing hit them with a little heat. Not enough to damage the plastics.  I am thinking maybe Yamaha puts Loctite on the threads.  Just a thought. 

• Like 1

I removed 2 of mine to install a rack and they came loose quite easily, so easy that i believe they could have come loose at some point in time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Offcamber said:

I wonder if before removing hit them with a little heat. Not enough to damage the plastics.  I am thinking maybe Yamaha puts Loctite on the threads.  Just a thought. 

No they aren't installed with Loctite or any other thread locker from the factory. We didn't find any signs of Loctite on the bolts or threads in the frame.

gepäckbolzen.jpeg

I was accused on another forum, different bike, of making up a bouncy front end problem, so I am ultra sensitive as to how it feels to have someone accuse stoopidity.

For future unbolters of the luggage hooks, make SURE and use a proper size torx, NOT a hex!!!! Somewhere, maybe on this forum, someone admitted they did that.

Not saying anyone in this thread did that, just forewarning for future reference! Don't ask me how I know. I grabbed a hex, but fortunatel figgered out it is torx before damage done.

A quick bump with battery torque wrench loosened them all .

• Thanks 1

I had the exact same problem. Channel locks to the rescue, reinstalled with a little “Never Seize”.

I also broke 2 6mm hex tools getting the rear motor mount bolts out to install the crash bars.

I had to remove mine to fit a luggage rack and I had already read this thread so was cautious. First off I determined the correct torx bit was a T40 not a T30. I tapped in the bit to seat it then attached my ratchet to remove. All 4 were tight but came out as expected with no drama.

• Like 2

Can confirm Doc Browns finding. Definitely no loctite in there. It's just aluminium oxide in threads which will seize the bolt. Giving the bolts small whack with plastic hammer  is a good precaution, but if it's seized badly, you will snap it like Doc did. So use caution with these and soft hands.

In general I've had zero issues with removing any bolts or screws on my Tenere. One thing to bear in mind is that with both Torx and Hex bolts it's extremely important to use correct key sizes. Yamaha uses metric hex! If your bit or tool has even a slightest wiggle, you are using ether a bad quality tool or your tool isn't correct size. Using almost same size inch bit is a clear path to catastrophe. Also make sure that you fit the tool/bit all the way down. If you have even a slightest wiggle, you are definitely either doing it wrong or using wrong tools. I've stripped a hex or torx only few times. I've snapped them more often, but every time I've stripped them it has been my own fault. Those few times it's always been an issue of me being careless on how deep the bit is or I've been lazy and not changing to correct size bit. Also do not try to open hex with torx and vice versa. It might work few times, but you are ruining the bolt/screw in the process. So always use correct bit. Always.

People also usually tend to use too small torx bit so when you think you find a correct one, try one size larger to be absolutely sure. Also make sure that you have T27 in your kit. It's missing from some of cheaper kits and it's quite rare size, but you shouldn't use T25 to open those. Even if you don't ruin the bolt/screw the first time, you'll probably ruin it at some point...