Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Why sell the KTM?

Charles De Mar

I wonder why he is sellling a KTM with 65 miles 

9A7F0BE4-3FBC-4277-8D0F-7499FB0782D3.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Same reason you see lots of new used bikes. Money issues, moving, injured, decided ridding isn’t their thing. 
The latter of those seems to be the most common. 
I can’t even count the number of almost new bikes that the owner dumped a ton of  money into that I’ve seen for sale. 
Last year someone local to me was selling a trailer of bikes that had only been ridden two or three times. He bought the whole family new bikes only to discover that ridding wasn’t their thing. 
Going off memory it was two full sized trail bikes and three smaller ones of various displacements and a new trailer was part of the package. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Matth said:

Or it could be a Ktm ready to race but never was?

I’ve had 5 KTM’s and of those only one had a couple of issues. The others have been just at reliable as any other bike. 
Sucks that the euro brands are the only ones that make good enduro/woods bikes. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mpatch said:

Same reason you see lots of new used bikes. Money issues, moving, injured, decided ridding isn’t their thing. 
The latter of those seems to be the most common. 
I can’t even count the number of almost new bikes that the owner dumped a ton of  money into that I’ve seen for sale. 
Last year someone local to me was selling a trailer of bikes that had only been ridden two or three times. He bought the whole family new bikes only to discover that ridding wasn’t their thing. 
Going off memory it was two full sized trail bikes and three smaller ones of various displacements and a new trailer was part of the package. 

I’m watching Craigslist for deals. I knew this spring things would show up. I could sell 1993 KDX200 in excellent condition for $3000. I paid $550 and put $600 into it. 

B59DCE66-C719-4C23-A4B2-E803D405824D.jpeg

• Like 1

There was recently a 2006 DR650 for sale that had some stupid low amount of miles. Want to say around is had 250 miles on it. Someone rode it a few times and parked it for 15 years. 

3 minutes ago, Hogan said:

I've read quite a few comments of people saying they're buying the 790 because they can't wait for the T7.

This guy was obviously one of them 🙂

No China bikes for me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charles De Mar said:

I wonder why he is sellling a KTM with 65 miles 

9A7F0BE4-3FBC-4277-8D0F-7499FB0782D3.jpeg

Looks like he's got a Tenere in the background. 

Maybe he had the experience that a friend of mine had. His 790 had warped rotors as delivered and was almost unrideable. How the dealer managed to ignore it and deliver the bike is beyond me. He rode it about 10 miles the first day, took it back to the dealer, where it sat for 2 months waiting on parts. The new rotors went south quickly too, so he bought aftermarket rotors and fixed a few other problems out of his own pocket, rather than have the bike sit for another few months. He's ridden it a thousand miles or so now, but has said it will be up for sale when Tenere's become readily available.

1 hour ago, norton73 said:

Looks like he's got a Tenere in the background. 

Maybe he had the experience that a friend of mine had. His 790 had warped rotors as delivered and was almost unrideable. How the dealer managed to ignore it and deliver the bike is beyond me. He rode it about 10 miles the first day, took it back to the dealer, where it sat for 2 months waiting on parts. The new rotors went south quickly too, so he bought aftermarket rotors and fixed a few other problems out of his own pocket, rather than have the bike sit for another few months. He's ridden it a thousand miles or so now, but has said it will be up for sale when Tenere's become readily available.

Most of that comes down to the dealer. I’ve heard of terrible experiences with every brand. Hint don’t buy from a hole in the wall low volume dealer and if you do you better hope you don’t have any issues. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charles De Mar said:

I’m watching Craigslist for deals. I knew this spring things would show up. I could sell 1993 KDX200 in excellent condition for $3000. I paid $550 and put $600 into it. 

B59DCE66-C719-4C23-A4B2-E803D405824D.jpeg

Now that kdx.... the last Japanese woods bike made. I had one that I bought for cheap as a buddy bike that needed lots of love but even being a 20+ year old bike could hang with them fancy newer orange bikes.  

28 minutes ago, mpatch said:

Now that kdx.... the last Japanese woods bike made. I had one that I bought for cheap as a buddy bike that needed lots of love but even being a 20+ year old bike could hang with them fancy newer orange bikes.  

This one is pretty good

0DD20C9F-7EA4-4D2D-A045-C9493B537948.jpeg

35358BA6-287A-4492-8946-6814601E75F5.jpeg

• Like 1

My India made Duke 390 was not up to par quality/reliability wise.  Many electrical gremlins.  Local dealer was a knob also.  Bike came out worse than it went in.  Good riddance. 

Wish I could find one of those nearly new good deals...

I recently saw a new KTM 890 at a dealer and think it sure looks like a wicked great bike in person. Didn’t ride it though. 

2 hours ago, Charles De Mar said:

This one is pretty good

0DD20C9F-7EA4-4D2D-A045-C9493B537948.jpeg

35358BA6-287A-4492-8946-6814601E75F5.jpeg

Yamaha had the right idea with that bike but dropped the ball compared to its competitors. 
wanna make a smoker trail/woods bike it needs lights, e start, decent sized tank, wide ratio trans 

wait you mean the bike that KTM has been building for two decades and only recently Yamaha made a lame attempt to make something kinda similar 

every two stroke trail/enduro/woods bike is compared to the ktm 300 for good reason and none of them are as good, some of the euro brands come close but definitely nothing out of Japan

Edited by mpatch