Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

rear axle tool

papab

Question

Has anybody found a US source for the rally raid tool?   With shipping its $52.  It's a nice tool, but that's a little much.

As an alternative, has anybody tried this

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

It says it needs the 32 mm combo lever.  It would be nice if a 27 would fit it since I already have one, probly not tho.

• Like 1

14 answers to this question

1 hour ago, papab said:

Has anybody found a US source for the rally raid tool?   With shipping its $52.  It's a nice tool, but that's a little much.

As an alternative, has anybody tried this

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

It says it needs the 32 mm combo lever.  It would be nice if a 27 would fit it since I already have one, probly not tho.

I check RMATV periodically because they stock other T7 parts from RR. Would prob be worth emailing them to see if they can get them in their next order. 

25 minutes ago, BMRT7 said:

I check RMATV periodically because they stock other T7 parts from RR. Would prob be worth emailing them to see if they can get them in their next order. 

I just did a chat with them, they didn't offer that up, but I didn't think to ask

What is it with In hex bolts on everything nowadays? All the 4-6mm ones are so innaccurate in the bolt and the tool, plus the bolts are made with soft material it is not advantage over traditional bolt and single hex socket...i dont get it.

• Like 1

ROCKY MOUNTAIN ATV HAS 27 MM WRENCHE WITH A TYRE SPANNER. LESS EXPENSIVE THAN MOTION PRO

The main allure for the RR axle tool is the 19mm hex insert for the front axle. Unfortunately it would cost more to ship to US than its price. I bought the motion pro tire spoon/27mm wrench and made my own front axle tool.  Paid a visit to my hardware superstore called Marshalls here in San Diego and bought a couple of big metric nuts. Had my buddy do a shitty welding job and bam, good to go... 27mm to 19mm - $4.

20210427_144233.jpg

20210427_161408.jpg

Edited by JohnnieBoy
Pics
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just bought the shallowest 27mm socket I could find on amazon.  I’m carrying the ratchet anyway, so its not a huge deal.

• Like 1

You definitely need a 27mm socket for the rear axle nut. Most sockets that size are deep and for 1/2" drives. I found a shallow socket that's plenty deep enough, with 3/8ths drive. Turns out it's a common automotive tool for cars that have an oil filter requiring this size socket, should be available at any auto parts store. Granted it won't stand up to impact torque, but for $10 I can get my axle on and off with it. Bonus, the 3/8ths drive handle fit the rest of the sockets in my tool kit.

492421701_20210521_160149-L1.jpg.65d7e9963218b35b36084eab585dcded.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2021 at 4:12 PM, Boondocker said:

You definitely need a 27mm socket for the rear axle nut. Most sockets that size are deep and for 1/2" drives. I found a shallow socket that's plenty deep enough, with 3/8ths drive. Turns out it's a common automotive tool for cars that have an oil filter requiring this size socket, should be available at any auto parts store. Granted it won't stand up to impact torque, but for $10 I can get my axle on and off with it. Bonus, the 3/8ths drive handle fit the rest of the sockets in my tool kit.

492421701_20210521_160149-L1.jpg.65d7e9963218b35b36084eab585dcded.jpg

Might you be able to link where you got this? 

25 minutes ago, roygilbo said:

Google “shallow 27mm socket”and you should get some Canadian responses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roygilbo said:

Princess auto sells shallow impact sockets in 27mm which are great.  They're physically small, actually the correct tool, and non-janky.  If you're carrying a ratchet anyways.

They also sell large 19mm hex "socket" (I dunno, whatever you call them, for the front axle) pretty cheap.  Ended up just buying a full set that went from 4mm to 25mm for some $15.

• Like 2

A factory KTM wrench works fine for the rear axle nut and also functions as a tire spoon. 

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 1