Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

what's a good speedometer corrector for these bikes?

Stevey3737

Hi all, I got a perfect gift from the wife for Christmas, its a Garmin GPS for the bike and its all mounted and wired in and working great, the only issue I have is the massive difference in speed from the GPS to the actual bikes speedo, now I know it doesn't matter and the bike doesn't run any different but now I know and it is driving my OCD through the roof so in short what are people using to correct this? or is there something?

Most vehicle speedos significantly under report the speed, some more than others. The only vehicle I’ve owned that was close to being accurate was a Daihatsu 4X4. The T7 variation is approx 10% so the math is easy. When the bike says you’re doing 110 you’re actually doing 100. 99=90, 88=80, 77=70, 66=60....... Cheers.

• Like 1

Making James May look quick!

Hi there thx I will look into the 

abs ring sounds pretty easy

i put my garmin on the tenere yesterday and noticed the large amount the speedo was out .it never bothered me before but now i have seen how much its off i will have to get correction rings

I'm surprised no one has ever been able to solve this by editing the original software

Edited by Veider

The Aleksandar13 correction rings work great and exactly match the GPS speed now,  was out by about 10% so the cost is worth it as the bikes mileage will be accurate too.

Is there a direct link to purchase these? I thought I reached out but haven't heard anything

I am surprised that there is no speedohealer available yet. I used Healtech's speedohealers on many supersportsbikes like on the Honda CBR 1000RR, almost all model years, etc.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 12:44 PM, Tommac said:

The Aleksandar13 correction rings work great and exactly match the GPS speed now,  was out by about 10% so the cost is worth it as the bikes mileage will be accurate too.

How is that possible? The speedo and the odometer use the same signal. The speedo is wrong the 10% and odometer about 5% (if my memory is correct). So when you correct the speedo, the odometer will be wrong.

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

1 hour ago, Totti said:

How is that possible? The speedo and the odometer use the same signal. The speedo is wrong the 10% and odometer about 5% (if my memory is correct). So when you correct the speedo, the odometer will be wrong.

Nope. Speedo and odo deviation are the same.

4 hours ago, Hogan said:

I checked the accuracy of both when my bike was new, and then again today with the stock tyres at 20,000kms.

When new, speedo was approximately 14% out, odo was about 2%.  I don't recall the exact odometer error because at the time I thought it was 'good enough'

Just today, the speedo is now 10% out and the odo is 1.8% out.

I used a Garmin GPSmap76. Both the GPS and bike trip meters were reset while stationary, and I traveled 21.26km according to the GPS.

To measure the speedo I simply traveled at a constant 100kph (as indicated by the GPS) and noted that the dash was reading 110-111. The figures change quickly and erratically so it's not super accurate.

It's worth noting that using Km/h will be more accurate than using MPH, and the faster you go and the greater the distance you travel will yield even more accurate results for the speedometer and odometer respectively.

So from that I've learned that tyre wear alone can cause a 4% accuracy difference.

Additionally it's worth noting that not all tyre brands and tread patterns will have consistent rolling circumferences, so even tyre choice could contribute 5% or more in error.

That might explain why the bike has such a large error built into it from factory... to account for variances in street and off road tyres.

As for correction of the speedo, using modified ABS rings or something that modifies the pulse frequency will affect both speedometer and odometer.

Its common for the odometer reading to be stored in the engine ECU and then transmitted to the dash though the Canbus network. When that is the case it will be possible to install a device between the dash and network that intercepts and modifies the speedometer value. Thus correcting the speedo whilst not affecting the odometer. Such devices already exist - sort of. It's a common method of altering odometers for more nefarious reasons, but they do look like they could be adapted/reprogrammed for less nefarious reasons...

Ok, let me correct my statement: speedo and odo get their input from the same sensor(s). If there is a deviation between speedo and odo it has nothing to do with the sensor. E.g. if you use another sensor -whatever that will be, ABS rings, magnet etc.- the difference between speedo and odo will not be affected. But you already mentioned that.

Personally I don't care. Like you I think that the difference has been considered by Yamaha and should cover the wheel size differences. 
Easiest way to check accuracy is installation of a bicycle speedo, of course you need to measure the circumference of the wheel(s) and enter it in the unit, but then they are very accurate. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 12:55 PM, Doc Brown said:

I am surprised that there is no speedohealer available yet. I used Healtech's speedohealers on many supersportsbikes like on the Honda CBR 1000RR, almost all model years, etc.

I lately contacted Healtech support@healtech-electronics.com, asking the same question. They said, they tried the MT-07 ABS SpeedoHealer for the T7 and it didn't work. That's really strange, because I don't think that Yamaha has changed anything, but of course I don't know.

Maybe if they get more request they try again.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ichnusa said:

I lately contacted Healtech support@healtech-electronics.com, asking the same question. They said, they tried the MT-07 ABS SpeedoHealer for the T7 and it didn't work. That's really strange, because I don't think that Yamaha has changed anything, but of course I don't know.

Maybe if they get more request they try again.

That's indeed strange. Like you I thought both systems are 100% identical but obviously that is not the case. Personally I have no problem with the deviation as it helps me when going through villages/cities to keep my license 😉

Cheers
Doc

• 2 years later...

You can swap abs sensor plates easy and cheap

How to fix the Speedometer error on Tenere 700

Once I swapped tires my Speedo was only off by 2%. 

• Like 1

My Tenere 700 speedometer indicates speed approximately +8 to +10% (allowable by industry regulations) above actual speed depending on tire & wear vs phone GPS, however the odometer is more accurate & within 1-2% of GPS readings & road mileage markers on level ground (industry regulations require more accuracy of odometers).  The Tenere 700 utilizes the front ABS ring for input, however, the bike's electronics likely apply different computations for speed & mileage.  

Sensor input for speed & likely odometer are determined from the front wheel ABS sensor ring. ABS rings with 42 slots (oem = 46 slots) are available to adjust speed display lower by approximately 10%, however, will likely adjust the odometer lower by the same 10% compensation. Both front & rear ABS rings should be changed to ensure correct ABS operation & prevent error codes.  The Tenere 700 likely uses different computations for speed & odometer display, despite receiving input from the same sensor. Most automotive regulations do not permit odometer readings lower than actual.
Edited by prowlnS10
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, prowlnS10 said:

The T7 records speed approx 8-10% higher than actual (allowable by industry regulations), but the odometer is more accurate recording mileage approx 1-2% higher than actual on my T7 (industry regulations require more accuracy for odometers)....the ABS rings that correct speed by approx 10% will now result in mileage recorded higher by the same 10% compensation.  Both speed & mileage utilize the front ABS ring for input but the bike's electronics applies different calculations.

8% lower mileage on odo not more when swapped