Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

MPG?

Wilcollinsphotos

Wondering what kind of miles people are getting from their T7’s. What kind of riding they are doing, length of average journeys etc. 

Granted I spilled a bit crashing, but mine is flashing at 115 miles. Now I know that’s not right. 

Maybe the fact I’m doing a 2 mile commute(in a hope that after work I can get out longer...usually not). Not sure. 

• Premium Member

Good topic. Got 69.95 mpg on a trip running it in; 170 miles done and have over 4 litres remaining But I think that 55mpg+ will be more the norm for some off-road lane-ing and fast road and commuting etc. If gentle med \ high fifty's \ 60 mpg is possible.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Murska said:

Reserve tank drive starts flashing 325km, fuel ends 422km. Consumption 3.8L / 100km.

14744669.jpg

Wow, so another 100km(60 miles) on reserve. Good to know. 

So the flashing bottom bar is the reserve ‘light’. Also good to know. Haha. My hand over was ‘this is a bike’ and that’s it. I don’t know any of the intricacies of it etc. Though it weird it doesn’t have a fuel light. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, al700 said:

When talking mpg please define whether it is imperial or US. Nice topic by the way.

Mine is UK imperial. After Running In I reset mpg meter / had battery disconnected and Bike now showing 57 mpg. 150 to 160 miles light flashes over 200 miles possible no problem 

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Murska said:

Reserve tank drive starts flashing 325km, fuel ends 422km. Consumption 3.8L / 100km.

14744669.jpg

Be hard to sustain those figures in the loose, lower gears and when the throttle twisted more and with higher reving. 380 Km to run dry be more the norm.

• Premium Member
On 9/14/2019 at 5:49 AM, Wilcollinsphotos said:

Wow, so another 100km(60 miles) on reserve. Good to know. 

So the flashing bottom bar is the reserve ‘light’. Also good to know. Haha. My hand over was ‘this is a bike’ and that’s it. I don’t know any of the intricacies of it etc. Though it weird it doesn’t have a fuel light. 

Yes bottom fuel bar flashing is your fuel reserve light. 
I wouldn't bank on another 60 miles; more like 50 miles is ok.

I’ve had 4 litres left when fuel light flashes.

So do the maths as that is less than a UK imperial gallon left.

The bike is easy on fuel 200 miles tank range not a problem.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, X Plane said:

Be hard to sustain those figures in the loose, lower gears and when the throttle twisted more and with higher reving. 380 Km to run dry be more the norm.

This was an Adventure simulation and driven in "ECO mode" at normal road speed on a narrow and wide road. Usually the range is 370-380km, if I have fun, the range is 320-350km

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 9/15/2019 at 4:33 AM, Murska said:

This was an Adventure simulation and driven in "ECO mode" at normal road speed on a narrow and wide road. Usually the range is 370-380km, if I have fun, the range is 320-350km

Thank you for the update. Yep those 2nd fuel consumption figures are similar to what I expect and get to 👍

• 3 months later...

Today's trip gave some insight in consumption and reserve.

Reserve trip counter started at 271 km, rode up to 324 km until filling up (53 km). Fill up (bike upright, until fuel was up tothe bottom holes) was exactly 14 liters. 

According to the spec, the tank has 2 liters left, so based on the kilometres already done on reserve, total range is around 375 km. I rode "sporty" on 80km/h flat roads, with a lot of turns/stops for traffic lights.

Based on the overall fuel consumption the T7 is doing 23,1 km/l (54.4 mpg).

Based on this, a full 16l tank will get you 370 km (230 miles).

This is with 98 octane fuel (Shell V-power), with 5% bio-ethanol (E5). There is a bit of margin when filling the tank.

A 1-gallon Rotopax will give me another 83km, so then 450 km (280 miles)  is well within range. Should suffice for most adventures.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The T7 is grand mpg wise (approx mid fifties). The resulting tank range is grand for most.

I have managed 58 imperial mpg with mine during the first 1000 miles. Never ride off road and always ride solo. Country lanes, A and B roads in UK with almost no motorway.

I don't baby the bike and it regularly get 9k 10k rpm... Amazing how little fuel is need to put a smile on your face. 

Back to topic... :)... Light starts flashing @120 miles if the bike is turned on while on side stand... While upright I can get the bike to 170 - 180 miles and then the light starts flashing.... If you remember to turn the bike on while you sit on it the fuel light is more accurate and I have managed 44 miles out of reserve but 50 should be easily achievable.

Hope this makes sense... Its not perfect but you get used to it quickly and doesn't matter as long as you are having fun... 😜🎉

• Like 2

Mine is on 53mpg UK gallon average and never zeroed and around 800 miles from new. Didn't rev it too hard for 400 miles but used the engine if you know what I mean. Done around 250 miles of that off road in the Pyrenees. 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear and revving well. Had quite a few thrashes too and not been thinking about fuel consumption at all, so very pleased with that.

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 1

Just now, Rich TT said:

Mine is on 53mpg average and never zeroed and around 800 miles from new. Didn't rev it too hard for 400 miles but used the engine if you know what I mean. Done around 250 miles of that off road in the Pyrenees. 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear and revving well. Had quite a few thrashes too and not been thinking about fuel consumption at all, so very pleased with that.

Is this 53mpg calculated manually or as per on-board computer?

Mine is as per bikes computer 

4 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Is this 53mpg calculated manually or as per on-board computer?

Mine is as per bikes computer 

On board. But I think it's pretty accurate. I only got 11 litres in yesterday having done 145 miles or so

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

im averaging about 60 mpg (imp) all speeds and conditions. very similar fuel gauge experiences to aleksandar13.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Any updates on MPG? I haven't had a bike that gets 54+ MPG in a while.

53.2 UK mpg over a varied 2000 miles

AA67F7EE-73E1-4B5C-B6EC-14BC2F02B1E3.jpeg

Compare 53.2 mpg for T7 to my 37.2 mpg for my MT-10.

I did the Math the MT-10 uses 30% more fuel for it’s 30% greater cc, spooky correlation eh.

Though the MT-10 makes 2.16 times the horse power and produces 39% more torque. 

Tenere 700 mpg means tank range is about 60% more than the MT-10.

• Like 4

I've now covered around 3500km, most of which is rather fast commuting (18km one way) and my average is 4,2L/100km, which is around 67mpg(imp).

I always fill up to the bottom of the hole inside the tank with the bike straight up. I get about 380km per tank. 

One thing I noticed is that the computer always reads a higher consumption than it is in reality. It mostly shows 4,5 or 4,6.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, qInvention said:

I've now covered around 3500km, most of which is rather fast commuting (18km one way) and my average is 4,2L/100km, which is around 67mpg(imp).

I always fill up to the bottom of the hole inside the tank with the bike straight up. I get about 380km per tank. 

One thing I noticed is that the computer always reads a higher consumption than it is in reality. It mostly shows 4,5 or 4,6.

When i was on a long trip (and running the engine in) I got a similar gentle going 69 mpg (UK imperial). 

It now shows 53.2 mpg and that with spirited ridding. 

I’ve 2600 miles, fast B roads, some forest lanes, short 1.7 mile commutes and recently now short trips for shopping runs. 

I’d say the spread is mid to high fifties / low sixties be more the wider spread norm. Tank range is different debate that most will never really need, 200 miles is so doable.

• Like 1

I am averaging 57MPG and never riding nicely to save fuel 🙂 I guess one could theoretically achieve 70mpg that some report but with a bike like this, why would one want to deprive himself of all the fun???

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Spuzvica said:

I am averaging 57MPG and never riding nicely to save fuel 🙂 I guess one could theoretically achieve 70mpg that some report but with a bike like this, why would one want to deprive himself of all the fun???

I have managed to run out of fuel at 144 miles from full and was riding on fumes to the petrol station. 

This on 17 inch wheels which equate to 6% shorter hearing. 

🏍️💨😅

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...

- 440 kilometer / 273 miles on a tank.

- 104 kilometer / 64.6 miles on F-drive.

The 440 kilometer / 273 miles divided on 16.4 liter (I don't recall, but let's assume I had filled the tank to the rim) constitutes 3.7 liter per 100 kilometer or 63 miles per US gallon.

This as mixed riding, on-road only. Not only soft sides. Numbers seem to correspond to what is reported by many. About 60 miles per gallon is much higher than any other two-cylinder bike I have owned. 👍