Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Suspension help

Bryce19

I recently went one my first ride after upgrading both my shock and fork springs. Both are the heaviest option available. I tend to ride more dirt and I’m still bottoming out both multiple times per ride. What are my options other than replacing? 

How heavy are you in full gear? Any luggage? What actual springs (spring rate please) are you running? You have LOTS of options purely relative to the size of your wallet.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

If you are indeed bottoming with the heaviest springs available, I think your next option is a complete re-valve.  The springs hold the bike up (basically) and the valving controls how the suspension goes through its stroke (once again, basically).  I would recommend finding a reputable suspension tuner and working with them.  They can likely control bottoming resistance through valving. 

Otherwise if you want to “try” something “on the cheap” you could try going to the next heavier fork and shock oil. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I’m roughly 260 fully loaded including luggage. I’m going to reach out and see about a re-valve. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bryce19 said:

Thanks for the replies. I’m roughly 260 fully loaded including luggage. I’m going to reach out and see about a re-valve. 

Have a read through this post. 

It will help in your direction. 9.5 rear spring, and 6.4kg/mm front springs, then start playing with valving. I'm close to your weight, and other than tuning my re-valved shock and big piston fork, I'm running 9.0 and 6.4 springs and while it doesn't land quite as good as my WR450, its WAY better than stock.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...