Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tire bead breaker

Gary Dirt

I have tire machine at home but today I wanted to change out the oem tires with tools I’d be on the road with . I have motion pro bead breaker and tried for 25 minutes before I gave up and used my breaker that’s on my home tire machine.. 

Definitely need another solution what are the breakers have been successful in your experience,

0D964746-FF45-44D0-A2A6-596A30FCF507.png

Motion pro will EVENTUALLY serve their designed purpose with some lube, persistence & a lap or two of the bead. No, not easily but yes, they will work. My first encounter with this challenge was all the convincing required to inspire going tubeless & carry a plug kit. 
   Still packing a tube, these bead breakers & a third spoon as last resort, but there’s no way I want to wrestle these ADV beads out on the trail unless absolutely necessary. 
  If you’re not riding solo, a mates side stand is the best bead breaker on the trail.

Edited by Hammerhead

• Premium Member

I've changed my own tires since 2009, I have my own tire changer, and I have to say, the 1st time removing the T700 rear tire, it was one of the most difficult bead breaks I have EVER done.... 

I was expecting and easy pull, new bike, new tires, its not a heavy bike, its not a heavy duty super stiff sidewall tire...

I started with simple regular sized tire spoons + a big set of C-Clamps...
Tried and tried... Nope...
Eventually gave up and went with my tire changer, and it was still ultra tough breaking the bead, the 1st time.

I was working on a rim project, so I had the tires mounted, fully inflated (tested for leaks) and un-mounted about 3 times. 
After the original bead break, the subsequent breaks were very easy, and the tire changes were all easy.   

I think from the factory, the tires are mounted super dry, or maybe they use some kind of bead glue? not sure... 

1st removal was hard, after that easy.   
The hope is, that if doing the job in the field, the job should be not too bad with simple hand tools. 

Tazmool

9 minutes ago, Tazmool said:

I've changed my own tires since 2009, I have my own tire changer, and I have to say, the 1st time removing the T700 rear tire, it was one of the most difficult bead breaks I have EVER done.... 

I was working on a rim project, so I had the tires mounted, fully inflated (tested for leaks) and un-mounted about 3 times. 
After the original bead break, the subsequent breaks were very easy, and the tire changes were all easy.   

I had a very similar experience with changing the rear tire on my T7.  Including going tubeless and un mounting the tire 3 times and how much easier it was after the first time. 

I would say to those of you who are going on a big trip, un mount and mount your tire before the trip and you shouldn’t have  any issues on the trail if you need to break the bead.  

• Like 3

I popped the bead on the rear tire I installed yesterday with motion pro breakers and just one bite and it was off the bead . 
I know it was newly Shinko 805 mounted and im sure WD-40 is probably still on the bead but I feel much better about any misfortune of a flat out on the trail than I did yesterday while i was wrestling with the oem tire bead .

the oem front was very easy to pop 

• 2 weeks later...

Omg, the rear oem tire break was the most miserable 2 hours of my life.  I was able to finally break with two high strength clamps. The front tire fell off with a sneeze. 

Edited by motoddb