Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

A month?!

eddylindenstein

I'd had deposits in the past and the bikes never came so I pulled them.  Finally today I sat down and called all 18 Yamaha dealers within 150 miles of me and 2 of them claimed they have 1 available in May, so I put deposits down at both dealers.  My preference is black, and the deposits are for 1 black and 1 white.  I have a big dirt ride on the 29th that I'd way rather take a T7 on as opposed to my big Super Tenere.

My Super Tenere has a lowering link (was put on before I bought it) and it is awesome for my tiny 5'6" frame - the height would be better at another inch shorter, but it would be fine on a T7.  I'm wondering if someone can recommend a lowering link to get - it looks like a few companies have these at various heights and I don't see a brand on the one on my S10.  

Farkles I'm planning on doing first include the engine guards, the brackets to make the windshield adjustable, likely a 16t sprocket up front and the lowering.  After that will be racks, headlight guard, and replace the skid plate.

Edited by eddylindenstein
forgot something

@eddylindenstein

My wife of 5'7" has the Yamaha 18mm lower link and the Seat Customs lower seat and that works well for her.

One thing to remember is if you go more than the 18mm link you will need to change the side stand also. The 18mm does make the bike stand up a little straighter but only by about 2 degrees so you are slightly limited where to park, but not by much, so far really hasn't been an issue.

7 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

@eddylindenstein

My wife of 5'7" has the Yamaha 18mm lower link and the Seat Customs lower seat and that works well for her.

One thing to remember is if you go more than the 18mm link you will need to change the side stand also. The 18mm does make the bike stand up a little straighter but only by about 2 degrees so you are slightly limited where to park, but not by much, so far really hasn't been an issue.

Good tip - I was looking at Camel ADV's lowering link and their side stand as well.  I had a KLR once that was lowered but had the stock side stand on and I always felt like it was going to tip over when I parked it.

I feel your pain, I managed to find one 2 hours away and picked it up 10 days ago.  I put the Yamaha lowering link  on it and raised the fork tubes 11mm. The seat height now is pretty good. I am 5'7" ish (1.7m?) . I have ordered the lower seat and may end up putting the stock link back in.  This is my first bike in 30 years so I found the Tenere height and weight  very intimidating as first.

I put Yamaha crashbars on it and like them with the exception that I have to use an 8 mm wrench to remove the lower bolt for the side panel because the crashbar tube is in the way.  I opted for soft luggage and love the Kriega bags with the OS base but realize now that I have no grab point at the back to pick the bike up after a spill.  Not sure how to fix this, any suggestions would be  welcome.

If you do the  lowering links and lower seat, but eventually add springs it will lift the bike back up some as it will sit a bit higher in the stroke. Stock suspension seems to work good for alot of folks. I added springs front and back and love it.

Edited by Firebolter

Hi Firebolter,  I do plan on changing the rear spring to get the proper sag but it is going to have to wait until I get used to the bike.  Then when I change the spring out if I find it too high again I will go back to the lowering link.

On 4/28/2021 at 6:52 AM, Mikebike said:

I feel your pain, I managed to find one 2 hours away and picked it up 10 days ago.  I put the Yamaha lowering link  on it and raised the fork tubes 11mm. The seat height now is pretty good. I am 5'7" ish (1.7m?) . I have ordered the lower seat and may end up putting the stock link back in.  This is my first bike in 30 years so I found the Tenere height and weight  very intimidating as first.

I put Yamaha crashbars on it and like them with the exception that I have to use an 8 mm wrench to remove the lower bolt for the side panel because the crashbar tube is in the way.  I opted for soft luggage and love the Kriega bags with the OS base but realize now that I have no grab point at the back to pick the bike up after a spill.  Not sure how to fix this, any suggestions would be  welcome.

You could try something like this as it has grab handles built in.  There is also just grab handles on the web as well if the rear plate isn't your thing.

OBT7RR-2T.jpg

The Outback Motortek Rear rack and passenger grab handle combo for the Yamaha Tenere 700 is and essential!

that looks like it work well for me Landshark, going to have to wait for a while though, I have been spending way too much on my new baby.

• Like 1

Yamaha integrated hand holds here under the fender. 

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My strategy was the same. Call everyone that showed stock on Yamaha dealer page. All units were presold of course. Except 1, in black, 700 miles round trip. Black looks better in person than the pictures IMO. I’m sure they all do. 

Same here. Put a deposit down and was told "it'll be here soon" one too many times, so I called around to as many dealers as I could and found one available immediately 3 hours away. As a bonus it was also $300 cheaper.

100% worth the trip.