Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Matte Paint Care.

electric_monk

So I read in the manual that specific care should be taken with the Matte paintwork, saying that I should seek advice from the local dealer. Why can't they just tell you you what you should use...? Anyway

While at my dealer I got talking to an Aprillia rider who mentioned that it was very important to not use the wrong products. So when speaking to one the staff who owns a T7 I asked him about it. His response was that it didn't matter because the paintwork was pretty resilient.

So now I don't have a feckin clue and in order to rectify I want even more opinions......

Edited by electric_monk

Good question.  If you scuff or scratch, is there touch up paint available?  Is there a proper way to buff out the matte black paint?  I assume the white or blue ones are glossy and can be cared for like most autos.  

My salesperson told me to watch out for any cleaning products that contain wax as it will essentially turn the matte paint 'glossy'. 🤷‍♂️

I had no idea there were specific cleaners for matte paint - thanks for sharing @Erodion and @JohnnieBoy

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, forgive me but I will never understand getting a Matte Black new bike.

Maybe a grungy harley guy on a 1936 Harley would think it looks cool, I don't know. 

I know 36.61% of you now hate me now... It don't faze me, I live in the USA where 1/2 of the people hate the other 1/2. The original batmobile was shiny black with red pinstripes... The new batmobile is more like your matte black.

I guess times change, but I don't, I hate change....

If my Red/White Tenere ever shows up, I am gonna ride forever then wax it and ride some more!

Edited by Hibobb
  • Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

8 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, forgive me but I will never understand getting a Matte Black new bike.

Maybe a grungy harley guy on a 1936 Harley would think it looks cool, I don't know. 

I know 36.61% of you now hate me now... It don't faze me, I live in the USA where 1/2 of the people hate the other 1/2. The original batmobile was shiny black with red pinstripes... The new batmobile is more like your matte black.

If my Red/White Tenere ever shows up, I am gonna ride forever then wax it and ride some more!

But, if your pretty red and white one doesn't show up, would you gladly accept a black or even a blue one?  Black is beautiful.  I would have taken a different colour if the black one didn't show up soon.  But I did get the black one I ordered.  Lucky me.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Landshark said:

But, if your pretty red and white one doesn't show up, would you gladly accept a black or even a blue one?  .

Nope, Nope, Nope.... Good Guys ride white bikes!

• Haha 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Of course I like the Yamaha blue, wheels are a little too blingy for me though. I like the white with red too but I actually love the matte black. First choice, by far. Besides, I promised myself I would never own another red anything... unless its a Ferrari.

• Like 2

Is it a show bike or a rider ? Mines a rider.

36 minutes ago, NvNick said:

I can picture the girls you dated in highschool...

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

If you mean the fun ones instead of the prissy ones that were trying to be someone they weren't, then you pictured it right.

20 hours ago, NvNick said:

3000 km in four and a half weeks.....you tell me..!!

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 12:34 PM, Hibobb said:

How did you get past the filter... Hey louie we got a hot one here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Matte paint on my T7/ MT10 is pretty resilient on the plastics, really prone to chips on any metal. Both are equally prone to scuffs and any light buffing will result in 'shiny' little scratches, more so with metal pieces though. I'm not sure my T7 has any on metal, it's holding up much better than my 10 surprisingly. I highly recommend chemical guys matte foaming soap and detail spray products. Any traditional car soaps will generally contain waxes as well as other intentional ingredients to improve shine, and while they won't ruin your paint, they will leave a streaky, foggy haze over everything. It's hard to clean off after, but chemical guys products will save the day if you have already made a mess out of it.

I like to wash my matte bikes 1st thing in the morning while the sun is still coming up, keeping the bike cool and damp through the whole process. I spray the bike down with water, let sit for ~5 mins. Then chemical guys soap from a foam gun, let sit another 5 mins. Then a more focused water spray off with a little pressure, most if not all bugs and debris should blast off at this stage, if not, I go back to step 1 before touching the paint. Then one more chem. guys foam gun, let sit 5 mins., and very light scrub with thick microfiber cloths, working top down. I keep my wheel, chassis, and bodywork cloths separated. One more spray down with water and I let sit for 2-3 minutes before spraying the matte detailer everywhere (rubber, plastic, seat, metal), it really cleans the hell out of and improves the natural finish of just about any surface. Dry her off gentle with a thick handful of microfiber, and voila your paint is looking as minty as the day it left the factory ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chemical Guys makes a soap for washing matte paint called Meticulous Matte. Do not use any products that contain waxes or polishes. If you make the mistake of using a wax or polish on the paint, it will never look as intended. Ammonia free window cleaner is perfect as a quick detailer.

• Like 2

MotoSouth

www.youtube.com/c/motosouth