Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Air Temp gauge installed

Boondocker

T7 Thermometer install

Installed a thermometer because I’m obsessive about knowing the temperature. Yes I know there is an “air temp” display on the instrument cluster, but I believe that is the air intake temperature. Important for the ECU to know but not the same ambient as the rider is in.

It’s a battery-operated unit similar to what I’ve used on other bikes.

The mounting plate is 1mm flat Kevlar, textured side facing me. I made a cardboard template to start with then trimmed and massaged the final piece to get the best fit. The mounting plate is slipped behind the rubber "washer" holding the instrument cluster. The probe wire is mostly tucked behind the cowl with the probe exposed. When it’s time to change the batteries, I will most likely remove the wind screen for access.

I have a volt meter (another one of those vital signs I like to monitor) that’s about the same dimensions though would be surface mounted. I was going to install it on the left side of the instrument cluster but there is room for it below the thermometer. I just need to source the male 2-pin connector for the right-side aux. plug.

Temp Gauge mounted.jpg

Temp Gauge template.jpg

Temp Gauge probe wire.jpg

I’m pretty sure the air temp on the dash  is pretty accurate to current conditions. 
Has nothing to do with the engine. 
let me know if there is a discrepancy 

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 1

I'll be interested to compare the on-board vs. the aux. temps. On the Super Ténéré, the on-board temp is sourced at the air intake so I assume it is the same for the Ténéré 700, admittedly don't know that for a fact. I like to see the air temp at a glance and prefer to keep the instrument cluster set to the Engine Temp since that is more important. Now I can have it both ways 🙂

On 4/29/2021 at 5:43 PM, mpatch said:

I’m pretty sure the air temp on the dash  is pretty accurate to current conditions. 
Has nothing to do with the engine. 
let me know if there is a discrepancy 

I got out today and managed a ride with elevation changes between 2500 and 8500 feet within 10 miles and temps between 65 and 85 degrees within 20 minutes, so a pretty good thermometer exercise. I found that the on-board Air temp and the aux. thermometer were generally within 1-3 degrees of each other with the aux thermometer being much more responsive to temperature changes. Disclaimer - it's a cheap thermometer that came in a 4-pack with batteries where none of 4 show the exact same reading, so calibration is suspect. Kind of like the speedometer, it's all relative. Also, the on-board air gauge reads in whole number increments whereas the aux thermometer reads to 1/10th of a degree, not quite a head-to-head comparison.

As for the on-board air gauge having anything to do with the engine, I scoured the service manual for references to it. I found this diagram showing the Intake Air Temperature Sensor location. I think the name of the part lends credence to it having something to do with the engine. Yamaha gets bonus value out of it by presenting it as user information as well. I was amused to see its location within centimeters of where I placed the aux thermometer probe. So for purposes as an ambient temp gauge it's better placed than if it was located inside the air filter box and reasonably reliant for that purpose.

537036564_IntakeAirTempSensor.png.3a7a3de917d3d1aa8a36db896942f283.png

The point of the exercise for me is to be able to see air temp at a glance, any time, engine on or off because I have a thing for that. Good to know that the on-board air gauge will provide the info I crave in a pinch.