Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Oil in oem air filter

yamyam

Question

Hi guys, I’m doing my first oil change and 1000 km visual check. I found engine oil in  my air filter all 1 inch from bottom all around in the paper filter. The only thing I can tell My bike fallen one time yesterday for the first time since new.  I don’t think it’s normal... usually it’s happening at the end of an engine life... 

EC6C50F7-41E1-41F3-B65F-99BBD9A6CB23.jpeg

CC351AE7-8CCF-48C7-9698-4FC78F9CF15C.jpeg

Edited by yamyam
Pic

8 answers to this question

Hi, finally I called my dealership and the guy at the service told me it's normal to see some oil in the air box in this model of engine. I was surprise  with the answer and it says it's worse when we go offroading with this bike and the engine statt to heat up.  The oil level was a little bit higher from the compagny. 

As @WRXer mentioned, I've found I get a small amount of oil in the airbox if the oil quantity is at all greater than what the owner's and/or service manual states (2.3 liters without filter change, 2.6 liters with filter change). Very little, and I haven't seen it affect the filter itself, but overfilling does make a difference.

• Like 1

You are not seeing engine oil on your filter.

Look at the air box cover you removed to access the air filter.  The cover has a snorkel that goes far down into the filter.  This direct all the incoming air to the bottom of the filter.

Because of this any contaminants in the air directly hit the bottom inch of your filter first and it become stained like yours.

The stock filter has some oil impregnated into the pleats and  any dirt in the air sticks to this oil and makes it look a lot worse than it actually is.

There are many threads on cutting the snorkel slightly shorter to help the engine breathe better.

Your bike is perfectly fine and looks exactly like all stock T7's. Even on a filter  with tons of miles on it you will see staining on the bottom of the filter and the top of the filter will look very clean.

There is no issue with your bike.

Edited by williestreet
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, williestreet said:

You are not seeing engine oil on your filter.

Look at the air box cover you removed to access the air filter.  The cover has a snorkel that goes far down into the filter.  This direct all the incoming air to the bottom of the filter.

Because of this any contaminants in the air directly hit the bottom inch of your filter first and it become stained like yours.

The stock filter has some oil impregnated into the pleats and  any dirt in the air sticks to this oil and makes it look a lot worse than it actually is.

There are many threads on cutting the snorkel slightly shorter to help the engine breathe better.

Your bike is perfectly fine and looks exactly like all stock T7's. Even on a filter  with tons of miles on it you will see staining on the bottom of the filter and the top of the filter will look very clean.

There is no issue with your bike.

I agree with the above.
I would however suggest that you remove the small rubber cap (check hose ) located on the outside bottom of the air box and make sure it’s not full of any oil or other fluid. It is there to catch any small amount of oil from the breather system. The service manual mentions removing it checking it and cleaning it every filter change. 
IMG_0816.jpeg.83fd8fe36f969146e561b42b82765664.jpeg

• Like 1

Totally normal, mine was like that at 7000KM and i bet the new one I fitted will look the same when I check soon at 14000

My 2021 second-hand, 2100 mile, bikes air filter was the same; clean everywhere else except the bottom inch or so. 

Thanks...

On 7/18/2023 at 10:09 PM, Liquidape said:

I agree with the above.
I would however suggest that you remove the small rubber cap (check hose ) located on the outside bottom of the air box and make sure it’s not full of any oil or other fluid. It is there to catch any small amount of oil from the breather system. The service manual mentions removing it checking it and cleaning it every filter change. 
IMG_0816.jpeg.83fd8fe36f969146e561b42b82765664.jpeg

...yeah, better check mine now too, come to think about it 🤔 

Thanks...