Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

KLX250S, DRZ400S etc..

JayD

Good day!

Obviously own and love the T7, but I’ve been looking for a lighter, cheaper trail/off road bike to learn off road riding on.

I’m 6’4 and 200 lbs.

I’ve been looking for a DRZ400S, but they are very rare in Norway, and when they’re for sale, they are as expensive as what they cost new.

Recently came across a ‘10 KLX250S, which I could get for half the cost of a ‘03 DRZ.

Does anyone own a KLX250S or have any useful info about it or the other bikes in this class? The WR250R is 8000$ used, so not gonna happen.

Thanks!

For the price you want to spend, your choices will be slim! Does it need to be road legal?  The KLX is like most of the other 4 strokes in that category, heavy and underpowered, BUT! That is probably a good thing for you and what you want the bike for. Learn how to ride on that bike and 1 of 2 things will happen, you will get bored and loose interest and just ADV ride on your T7, or if you are like many of us, you'll get hooked, want more power/better bike as your off road skills increase.

I have a KTM 500 and a KTM300 smoker and a TM 250 smoker in addition to my T7. Off roads bikes are my weakness   😉

Don't worry about brand so much, for a beginner learner bike, it is more important you get something that is safe and in good mechanical condition so you can learn how to ride off road and within your budget amount. Then you can sell it and not take such a loss when you want to upgrade eventually and your initial investment is not so large.

The WR is an awesome bike, that little 250 will go for ever and is more dirt worthy (IMO) than the little KLX, but that Kawi would serve you well if it is in good condition. That's the thing, you learn how to ride on the KLX and get good on it, you will be so much faster on a more capable bike-That's the good thing about underpowered bikes, you have to learn to carry momentum and that is everything in off road riding if you want to be fast and smooth.

Edited by Firebolter

Thank you very much @Firebolter - great information!

Yes it has to be road legal, as I’m more of a drive to the trails kinda guy, and not taking the bike on a truck to the tracks-guy 🙂 

The KLX is in good condition with 12.000 miles on it, and two owners. It’s EFI, and have FMF pot and EJK tuner.

Its by far the cheapest one I’ve come across, and since this bike will see a lot of beginner-mistakes I like that fact that its cheap, reliable and not too powerful either.

Thanks again!

I have a 09 KLX with a 351 big bore kit. It's not a KTM , or a WR, but it seems to hold it's own on most rides. I generally have to ride close to an hour on pavement to get to any decent fireroads or trails, so it does the job for me. A KTM or a WR is more dirt bike with lights, the KLX is more a true dual sport.

And it was cheaper...spacer.png

• Like 1

Cool looking bike @norton73 and thanks for your input.

I’m too thinking about the BB kit, when the bike eventually feels a bit slow for my off road skill, I could add that instead of selling and buying a DRZ for the power.

• Like 1

@norton73What kind of riding do you usually do with your KLX? And what other mods have you done to yours that will help it for off road performance? A list would be highly appreciated 🙂

Fire roads, 4 wheeler tracks, easy single track, with 2 lane roads to get to them.  As for mods, the suspension is stock with adjustments to suit me. It is pretty soft, a serious single track rider would stiffen everything up, but I don't push the speed too much on tight stuff.   Motor has 351 kit, FMF pipe, power bomb header, stock carb just rejetted.  Ricochet skid plate, Seat Concepts seat, IMS 3 gallon tank.

It actually came to me with the BB kit, pipe, and tank. I added the rest after I got it. Since the above picture, I have changed out the bars for Protapers and raised them a little to make standing more comfortable.

On 5/5/2021 at 6:21 PM, norton73 said:

I have a 09 KLX with a 351 big bore kit. It's not a KTM , or a WR, but it seems to hold it's own on most rides. I generally have to ride close to an hour on pavement to get to any decent fireroads or trails, so it does the job for me. A KTM or a WR is more dirt bike with lights, the KLX is more a true dual sport.

And it was cheaper...

Norton: Please expound on the KLX351. The good...the bad...the awesome. I'm looking for a lightweight dualsport: and the KLX is on the shortlist, but they're fairly scarce and I never talked to anyone who owns one.

2 hours ago, JayD said:

https://youtube.com/shorts/0XTLFdbqe5o?feature=share

Just test rode it. Ran fine but I noticed a distinct ticking noise from the engine. Not too used to thumpers. What do you think?

I sold my KLX about a month ago.  That sounds just like the one I had.  My bike sold with only 5000 km on the clock.  That engine is OK

Thank you @Landshark- I dont think the camera catched the sound. The seller went to a dealer straight after my concern for the sound. He called me now, the dealer said that sound didnt sound right and agreed to open the engine to check. Dealer said it could be valves out of spec or loose cam chain- not necessarily the biggest of issues, but didnt feel like starting a new purchase with opening the engine!

By the way, why did you sell your KLX?

After riding it, and really liking it for what it is, I’ve decided to stay on the lookout for a DRZ400. Its size, suspension and engine will suit my frame in the long run.

Edited by JayD
  • Like 1

I owned a DRz400 for about two years, riding it back and forth to the forest roads and trails an hour or so away. Great bike, and my only real complaint was wondering why Suzuki chose to fit a rather close ratio five speed gearbox. While on the road, I was constantly looking for at least one more gear to drop the revs and mellow the engine a bit. The DR650 I bought years later was also a five speed, but with wider spaced ratios there were never any issues while transiting on the road.  

2037167265_DRZ400S2.thumb.jpg.78a45dbd0d0745330406c8ec91f801cb.jpg

If you do buy one, I highly recommend disassembling and greasing all of the rear suspension linkage components and swingarm bearings as soon as possible - even if the bike is brand new. Suzuki does not do a good job with that at original build. I found my DRz's swingarm pivot bolt seized in the frame when I tried removing it for lubrication, and it was quite a fun project to get it removed but I finally succeeded with lots of penetrating oil, time and heat (see pic). 

IMG00031-20120106-0846.thumb.jpg.50c08d65ac00c59f8f4ea3cca2ef7e4c.jpg

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 1

@jdub53Thanks for the reply and the heads up. I’ve heard about this five gear box ratio- I haven’t ridden a DRZ yet, but I will in a few weeks. It will be used in the woods and trails only, so I guess I can live without the sixth gear.

Are there any other options? Husabergs, huskys and KTM are all different animals, and with different maintenance, but I like to wrench.

I own a KTM 500 and 300. Have had 2 previous KTM RFS four strokes and a Husky 310TE and 610SM, a few XR's over the years and a WR250.

The Euro bikes are no more maint than any other highly tuned motor like some of the CR's and FX's and such. Just change the oil and keep the valves checked and they last a long time. My 2007 KTM 525 had 120 hours when I sold it. My buddy rebuilt it at 200 hours. It is still going strong with freshened up suspension and the new motor internals-If I didn't love my 2020 500EXCF so much, I would miss that 07!

The Husky 310 is much like the DR's in that it has a (year dependent) 5 speed gear box that is tight. Great in the woods, sucks on open stuff. 50MPH sounded like it was gonna blow! Lots of variations over the years in Husky trannies. For the KTM, you want EXC(F) variants if you want the WR tranny. XC variants are the closer ratio trannies.

Parts for the Euro bikes are easy to get. I wouldn't over look a good shape euro KTM or Husky, 2010 and up are plentiful.

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Firebolter said:

I own a KTM 500 and 300. Have had 2 previous KTM RFS four strokes and a Husky 310TE and 610SM, a few XR's over the years and a WR250.

The Euro bikes are no more maint than any other highly tuned motor like some of the CR's and FX's and such. Just change the oil and keep the valves checked and they last a long time. My 2007 KTM 525 had 120 hours when I sold it. My buddy rebuilt it at 200 hours. It is still going strong with freshened up suspension and the new motor internals-If I didn't love my 2020 500EXCF so much, I would miss that 07!

The Husky 310 is much like the DR's in that it has a (year dependent) 5 speed gear box that is tight. Great in the woods, sucks on open stuff. 50MPH sounded like it was gonna blow! Lots of variations over the years in Husky trannies. For the KTM, you want EXC(F) variants if you want the WR tranny. XC variants are the closer ratio trannies.

Parts for the Euro bikes are easy to get. I wouldn't over look a good shape euro KTM or Husky, 2010 and up are plentiful.

Excellent. I've got a 525EXC with over 200 hours and never had to do a thing to it. It's even got the same wheel bearings. I've SuperMotod it, thrashed it over the mountain at the TT, loads of green laning, enduro practice days. I just look after it. Change the oil super regularly, check the valves, clean and lube it, consumables etc and that's about it. Mega bike and I won't sell it

IMG_20210329_133735.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

IMG_20200731_125809.jpg

Memories... We need to meet up again and take a better picture... 👍🏼 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JayD said:

Thank you @Landshark- I dont think the camera catched the sound. The seller went to a dealer straight after my concern for the sound. He called me now, the dealer said that sound didnt sound right and agreed to open the engine to check. Dealer said it could be valves out of spec or loose cam chain- not necessarily the biggest of issues, but didnt feel like starting a new purchase with opening the engine!

By the way, why did you sell your KLX?

After riding it, and really liking it for what it is, I’ve decided to stay on the lookout for a DRZ400. Its size, suspension and engine will suit my frame in the long run.

I sold my KLX to accommodate the T700.  I can't have 2 bikes and make any sense of it.  And the 700 is a pricey bike too.  So I will make do (ha ha) with the T7. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2021 at 8:33 PM, norton73 said:

Fire roads, 4 wheeler tracks, easy single track, with 2 lane roads to get to them.  As for mods, the suspension is stock with adjustments to suit me. It is pretty soft, a serious single track rider would stiffen everything up, but I don't push the speed too much on tight stuff.   Motor has 351 kit, FMF pipe, power bomb header, stock carb just rejetted.  Ricochet skid plate, Seat Concepts seat, IMS 3 gallon tank.

It actually came to me with the BB kit, pipe, and tank. I added the rest after I got it. Since the above picture, I have changed out the bars for Protapers and raised them a little to make standing more comfortable.

I've got almost the exact set up.  Add FMF mega-bomb and BB's pumper carb and they would be twins!  My only complaint is the weight and hard starting when its cold, even after re-jetting.  I re0did the suspension this winter because I ADV on it some.  Stiffer shock and fork springs and gold valves front and back.

252354187_KLXWhiteRim.jpg.1a1ad85f66b5ffb1fb7b5a9a8eaf09ea.jpg

Edited by Idarex
  • Like 1