Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Which wires do I connect for new front turn signals

jeff03064

Question

I'd like to replace the front pumpkin sized turn signals with LED ones. I'm going to reuse the OEM connectors but I'm not exactly sure which wires to connect.

The website for the LED's shows 3 wires for it.

Yellow= Turn signal

Black= Negative

White= Daytime Running lights

Could someone who's replaced their OEM signals with LED ones take a look at my sketch and let me know which wires connect to each other?

(It's a US model if that matters)

Thanks!

1623113648_Tenere-frontblinkers.thumb.png.3daf50ffbc75fa972e8c09b14f59b0ee.png

Edited by jeff03064
Edited to clarify front

6 answers to this question

Test light or voltmeter will take about one minute to figure it out. 
I went with the Cyclops signals and they are plug and play. 

My bet is ya got it F'd up. If the bike has Blue/Red on both sides, to me that would be the running lights

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I did some digging around and I think I got the sketch right now. Can someone confirm that this looks right? I'm obviously no electrical expert when it comes to this stuff. lol

Tenere-front-blinker-1.png

28 minutes ago, mpatch said:

Test light or voltmeter will take about one minute to figure it out. 
I went with the Cyclops signals and they are plug and play. 

Good idea. I struggle with some of this electrical stuff. I should be able to figure it out with a test light though. lol

You can also just wire it up temporarily and turn the ignition to on, you’ll know right away! Black with black will give you a ground, then the other wires only give you two possibilities. 
You’ll need to put in some resistors also, for the flasher relay to see proper load, the DRL doesn’t require it.

I used a LED flasher relay and still had to put in one resistor per side, if you use the original flasher relay you’ll probably need to use one resistor per flasher, 4 total.

• Like 1

You can also install a new LED flasher relay which compatible with new LED signal lights. They also work with the standard bulbs as well. Here is a link to one of the more fancy versions that allow you to adjust the flasher rate.

US store:

20_1_6535d23b-eb50-444a-9968-a3933b96b20

TST Industries 2 Pins LED Flasher Relay Gen2 This relay will fix your flash rate problem caused by aftermarket signal lights and/or integrated tail light. If your signal lights flash too fast or do not...

Canada store:

Motostarz.ca-logo-flag.png?height=628&pa

404 Not Found

You can find cheaper ones like this one at superbrightleds.com, but they are out of stock right now.

Electronic LED Flasher Relays for Motorcycle have no minimum load-12VDC. Eliminates the need for load resistors, turn signals will flash at normal rate with or without LED bulbs...

And here are a few other links if you want to add oem plugs to your aftermarket signal lights and ways to add the day time running light feature to signal lights that are just two wire and not three wire lights.

Yamaha OEM Wiring Plug Supplier and 2 to 3 wire day time running lights.

Edited by Rocky_Mtn_T7